Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • 27.5 XC Racer? Dont want a 29er….
  • stevextc
    Free Member

@kryton57

Let me know if you found the Evans 100km … I’m away at the moment so it’s less simple for me but I can dig it out if you don’t find it.

My “quick look in Komoot” I found a modded (60km) version we must have done with the kids or we only had an afternoon or something but I have the original somewhere, its just finding it whilst living in the van.

the00
    Free Member

And why would i replace a perfectly good bike with something ‘inferior’ and more importantly heavier??

Because it’s quicker? Or is this a race bike that isn’t used for racing?

SSS
    Free Member

That was talking about the Spark. Not the Scale.
    Yes they are used for racing (10hr, 24hr and Endurance races). But he Spark, thats FS, i much prefer hardtails. So in a law of diminishing returns, no point replacing it. The new ones may be quicker, but probably marginally. So as someone said earlier, no point lightening my wallet.

thols2

And why would i replace a perfectly good bike with something ‘inferior’ and more importantly heavier??

Because it’s quicker? Or is this a race bike that isn’t used for racing?

i much prefer hardtails

Well, this is what is confusing. If you want an XC race bike, you want whatever is faster. The reason everyone switched to 29ers was because they are faster. They may be slightly heavier, but weight isn’t the only consideration in speed.

Same goes for suspension bikes. Hardtails sprint well on smooth surfaces, but suspension bikes let you stay seated and keep pedaling over rougher terrain. Hardtails feel fast, but the only thing that matters if you are racing is the stopwatch and good XC suspension bikes are faster on rougher courses.

kerley
    Free Member

Unless you want a race bike that is more fun to ride but reducing your chances of winning.
    A “taking part” bike if you will.

the00
    Free Member

Is a bike used in a race just for fun still a race bike? I remember the guy doing the Malvern Classic on the butcher’s bike for example

kerley
    Free Member

Is a bike used in a race just for fun still a race bike?

Yep, just not such a good one. Just like a 10kg race bike is not technically as good a race bike as a 9kg bike, both are race bikes.

SSS
    Free Member

Definition of futility. Arguing with someone on the internet…..

Do you know any other 27.5 XC race bikes? Not 29er.

thols2

Do you know any other 27.5 XC race bikes? Not 29er.

Manufacturers stopped making them because they are slower, therefore not good race bikes. Shouldn’t be hard to order a custom frame and build it up if you really want something that isn’t available off the shelf.

SSS
    Free Member

Looks like its that or buy used, and upgrade the Scale. Or go down a frame size to S…..

chiefgrooveguru

“ Definition of futility. Arguing with someone on the internet…..”

A better definition of futility would be trying buy a type of racing product that has been proven to be slower than another type – and therefore is obsolete. See also front engined F1 cars, F1 cars without downforce, non-Thoroughbred race horses, trainers instead of spikes for track athletics, etc etc.

bridges
    Free Member

The reason everyone switched to 29ers was because they are faster.

I’ve looked for actual evidence of this, and all I can find are a couple of not particularly scientific ‘tests’, and loads of people shouting ‘it just is!’. And then there are arguments for smaller wheels being faster in certain situations. So it surely comes down to type of terrain, riding style, size of rider etc. As a smaller person, I feel more comfortable off road on a smaller wheeled bike (yes, I have tried 29ers, before anyone starts screaming at me…). I haven’t tried all bikes though, so perhaps there’s one that’s designed that would suit me better than others. Some manufacturers seem to offer smaller frame sizes with 27.5″ wheels, so there must be something in that. I know I’m not the only person wanting to at least have smaller wheeled options available.

Some interesting opinion here (from the beginning to about 3’50”):

In the last few weeks, my research has led me to conclude that trying some bikes out is probably the best way forward, and that fashion still plays as much a part of defining MTBing as it did when I was last properly involved. 😉 Marketing spiel is as virulent as ever, and there are many more things to spend your money on now. Carbon rims, electronic gears, seatposts that go up and down! Marvellous.

thols2

’ve looked for actual evidence of this, and all I can find are a couple of not particularly scientific ‘tests’, and loads of people shouting ‘it just is!’

The main thing is that a larger wheel has lower rolling resistance and rolls over obstacles more easily. However, a larger wheel and tyre will be heavier and you need a longer wheelbase to fit them in, so it’s a matter of finding the best compromise.

As a smaller person, I feel more comfortable off road on a smaller wheeled bike

Some manufacturers seem to offer smaller frame sizes with 27.5″ wheels, so there must be something in that

Yes, there is a limit to how small a frame you can fit large wheels into. However, if you can find a 29er that fits you, it will probably roll faster than a bike with smaller wheels.

lucky7500

Have a look at the first couple of minutes of this. It does a pretty solid job of explaining 29 dominance in xc bikes without being preachy.

kerley
    Free Member

I’ve looked for actual evidence of this, and all I can find are a couple of not particularly scientific ‘tests’, and loads of people shouting ‘it just is!’.

Ride lots of the same loop for many years on a 26″. Get a 29″ that is heaver bike and has heavier wheels and tyres and ride the same loops for many more years.

I have done that and guess what bike is faster.

The science is about the rolling resistance and a bigger wheel (especially off road) just simply rolls better. Try riding a 20″ wheeled bike off road (I have done the a bit too) and you will really notice how wheel size matters.

stevextc
    Free Member

I haven’t tried all bikes though, so perhaps there’s one that’s designed that would suit me better than others.

That’s exactly what people were trying to tell you on your thread … except you are more into bimbling (which also describes me on XC type terrain) so something more comfortable than an XC race bike might be better. As I mentioned in the other thread “climb better” is a vague request. For XC racing it means faster regardless of the effort used.. for bimbling or endurance then slightly slower but less energy can be defined as better.

SSS
    Free Member

with respect to @bridges its my thread @stevextc.

Im not into bimbling.

stevextc
    Free Member

SSS
    Hence why different bikes are appropriate.

stevextc
    Free Member

@SSS
    If you’re interested I have a 2015 XTC 27.5 in medium fits my slightly over 5’ lad and a bit small for my 5’10”

mick_r

What year did Scott stop doing 27.5 xc race stuff? A friend is a local Scott dealer, and Scott hq (Netherlands?) keeps a stock of frames for warranty replacement which get sold off after something like 3-4yrs. That is probably your best bet if they did something suitable but newer. Any Scott dealer should be able to get one in.

XC courses don’t need to be full gnar for suspension – they also offer a big advantage on bumpy rooty tussocky stuff that is a slog to pedal on a hardtail.

bridges
    Free Member

Have a look at the first couple of minutes of this

That’s exactly the same video I posted earlier.

The main thing is that a larger wheel has lower rolling resistance and rolls over obstacles more easily. However, a larger wheel and tyre will be heavier and you need a longer wheelbase to fit them in, so it’s a matter of finding the best compromise.

The science is about the rolling resistance and a bigger wheel (especially off road) just simply rolls better. Try riding a 20″ wheeled bike off road (I have done the a bit too) and you will really notice how wheel size matters.

I am well aware of all the theory, and I’ve ridden enough different types of bike/wheel sizes to have a reasonable idea about the physics etc. And as I’ve said; so far, I prefer smaller wheels off road, for their advantage in certain situations, and the ‘feel’ of the bike. I really want to try some current bikes out, to see if there is indeed any significant improvement in that regard, with 29ers. I fear bike shops won’t have sufficient stock and means for testing for a while though at least. So looking more perhaps for 2022 than this summer really (travel is probably effectively out until Autumn now as well, I’d imagine). Are there still autumn bargains like there used to be? Or will the lack of stock mean shops can flog stuff off at full price regardless? And can anyone answer my queries regarding buying a bike abroad? If I pay full tax and ride it abroad, does it then constitute a ‘new’ bike in terms of bringing it home?

joebristol

My wife has an aversion to 29″ wheels so we stuck 27.5×2.4 rubber in her 2018 spark 910 Contessa with a 43mm BB drop.. it did not work. Pedal strikes galore with 165mm cranks.
    The Sparks 43mm drop is considered low already.

This is an interesting comment and different from my experience. Both my current hardtail and last hardtail had 45mm bb drops and 27.5” wheels. 170mm cranks. Ran one on 2.4” front / 2.25” rear tyres and the current one is on 2.5” front / 2.6” rear tyres.

I can’t say I really have many pedal strikes despite riding all sorts of terrain on them.

Maybe on a full suss bike with that sort of bb drop it might be more of an issue. My 27.5” full suss bike has less of a drop – I want to say about 25mm but I might be wrong.

honourablegeorge

joebristol

This is an interesting comment and different from my experience. Both my current hardtail and last hardtail had 45mm bb drops and 27.5” wheels.

FS will be very different, as you have suspension sag changing BB position in addition to BB Drop

kerley
    Free Member

And as I’ve said; so far, I prefer smaller wheels off road, for their advantage in certain situations, and the ‘feel’ of the bike. I really want to try some current bikes out, to see if there is indeed any significant improvement in that regard, with 29ers.

There isn’t. I know bigger wheels are faster but that doesn’t mean I like them. I enjoy riding a 26″ wheeled bike more and always will but I am not entering races. If I was I would use 29″ as if I am entering a race I may as well try and do the best I can.

SSS
    Free Member

@stevextc whats it like and price range? I had a mate who’d buy bikesuse them for the year, trolley them round the Puffer then sell them on eBay as nearly new, knowing it’d been bathing in a grinding paste bath for 24hrs…. you dont do that do you? And would you have to change your forum name?

@bridges
    a mate of mine would go to US, buy his bikes over there, ride them for say a holiday, so when he brought them back they were classed as ‘used’, not new so no one ever questioned the tax. Hed be there for a few months for work. So when they unzipped the bag it was obviously used.

@kerley
    im with you, bigger wheels may be faster (in certain circumstances), but i dont like them either, and tried a 29er, been there, done that….

@mick_r
    looks to be about 2018 they only did the 27.5+ Scale, now none in the Scale range, only in Aspect (Contessa) and below now

mick_r

Yeah I’m intimitely familiar with the Aspect and Contessa frames – the shop got buried in orders during lockdown 1 and the only way he could offer half-decent low-mid range mtbs was to build up from frames. I was badgered into helping out at weekends so put plenty of them together…..

Any full sus xc options to go with a refresh of the current hardtail? What year did Nino swap to 29?

BearBack
    Free Member

2017 for carbon Scale 27.5.
    The 27.5 plus bike was great but alloy only and a different build and geo to the regular scales.. slacker but still quite tall and oodles of clearance. I ran mine in both 27.5×3.0 and 29×2.5

2017 spark and 2018 genius brought the 27.5/29 flip chip options. No high spec 27.5 carbon frames since afaik (aside from the future pro spark last year with carbon front alloy rear)

stevextc
    Free Member

SSS

whats it like and price range?

Its 2015 so a few what I’d class as cosmetic scratches
    Price would be some fair non-Covid tax price… its currently 11sp XT and as Advanced 1 except wheels… wheels are some Raceface (something or other) and tyres might be in need of a change.

Currently has a 85mm brand-X dropper but original carbon seatpost.

Fox factory 32’s not serviced for a while but feel OK… but probably need doing due to time rather than riding hours

I had a mate who’d buy bikesuse them for the year, trolley them round the Puffer then sell them on eBay as nearly new, knowing it’d been bathing in a grinding paste bath for 24hrs…. you dont do that do you? And would you have to change your forum name?

Nah I’m good at buying but crap at selling them …

Sadly it has more maintenance hours than riding hours over the last couple of years (hence why if its what you are looking for sounds like a good reason to let go) .. I did the 100km loop last year and a few local rides but otherwise used more by the now 11yr old in the last 2 years..

You’re more than welcome to look it over and give it a try and pick and choose what you would want… (all my bikes have Shimano 11sp and 1/2 are 2v pot SLX/XT so groupset etc are all optional.

I’ll check with my mate 1st if he wants it for his son (it’s still too big but if he’s racing XC next year he might want 1st dibs) but otherwise you can view at Woking (home when I’m back next week) or somewhere rideable of a weekend.. (where are you??)

molgrips
    Free Member

tried a 29er

Only one?

stevextc
    Free Member

Only one?

I’ve been pleasantly surprised with all the ones I’ve tried not that many but from a 160mm Enduro to 120mm XC… and at 5’10” I’d have one myself if it didn’t mean buying new rims and building wheels and wheels not being usable on other bikes. (Main reasons I stick with 27.5)

richP

Pivot still do a 27.5 version of their carbon hardtail

27.5 version goes from XS to L
    29er goes from S to XL

https://store.pivotcycles.com/en/bike-les-275-2

SSS
    Free Member

@stevextc Im near Edinburgh

@RichP
    cheers!

stevextc
    Free Member

SSS Bad timing
    I’m in N Yorks now with 5 bikes but not the XC

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘27.5 XC Racer? Dont want a 29er….’ is closed to new replies.