Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • 27.5 XC Racer? Dont want a 29er….
  • SSS
    Free Member

Advice please. Who makes good 27.5XC race machines these days??

I have a Scott Scale 710 2016. Carbon, 27.5, XT all round, weighs about 9.8kg (slightly modded and tubeless. Love it. Best bike ive ever had. And ive had a few (including Specialized Epics etc)
    I
    ve had a 29er (Cube SL LTD) – didnt like it. Didnt like the wheel size mainly. Wheels too big (for me).

Im 5′ 5”. Ride medium frames.

On the Scott website, the Scale is only in 29, the Aspect just doesnt cut it. Canyon, the same 29 only. etc etc…… seem to have phased out 27.5 for this classof bike.

Its looking like the same situation wth my Scott Spark 10 (2010). Ive never found anything decent to replace it. Ok its a 26er, but still super nimble and fast. And why would i replace a perfectly good bike with something ‘inferior’ and more importantly heavier??

First world problems…..

Recommendations please? Anyone? Carbon Race 27.5s…..

beanieripper
    Free Member

My riding buddy is 6′ 4″ and bought an on one 29er just before lockdown. He doesn’t like it at all and is spending a bomb re doing his 15 year old Trek 26″ xc bike…I would think you need to go s/h or custom….

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I think you’ll struggle tbh, XC-biased bikes are all 29er now really. What’s up with the Scale that you’re looking to replace it if it’s already the bike you want..?

andrewh
    Free Member

And why would i replace a perfectly good bike with something ‘inferior’ and more importantly heavier??

Good question
    If it ain’t broke dont change it
    [Edit] What he said ^

SSS
    Free Member

Its always the lure of a new one…. i have been scanning eBay for another (used) 710 or 700RC 2016/2017 vintage.

I have a 2003 Trek 4900 as a training bike. Needless to say every part of it has been replaced except the frame. Would like to have a newer hardtail XC bike and the scale becomes my training bike (i sold the Cube BTW)

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

My riding buddy is 6′ 4″ and bought an on one 29er just before lockdown. He doesn’t like it at all

Funny that – I’m 6′ and my OH is 5’5.5″ and we’ve both just got Whippet 29ers and both love them..! Be a funny world if we were all the same..

beanieripper
    Free Member

Yep he’s a funny one. Bought a scandal in XL and thinks it’s a tank.

chiefgrooveguru

“ Advice please. Who makes good 27.5XC race machines these days??”

No-one. Not for adults anyway.

“why would i replace a perfectly good bike with something ‘inferior’ and more importantly heavier??”

Because 29” bikes are faster so superior for winning XC races. If you’re not bothered about going faster then you have a good point – save your money, save the planet, ride the bike you have!

devash
    Free Member

Literally nobody makes off the shelf 27.5 race bikes any more. The closest you mare going get is when manufacturers do the “size specific wheelsize” thing where XS and S frames of a given model run on 27.5 wheels e.g. Canyon’s Grand Canyon (which isn’t strictly a race bike). Even Giant who went all in on 27.5 only do the Anthem and XTC in 29er. Second hand would be your only bet I’d say.

joebristol

Maybe you might find a Chinese open mould frame in 27.5” with more old style xc geometry – but you may as well keep what you’ve got if it still works.

If you want new / shiny maybe treat it to new forks (sid ultimates are nice – if they make them in 650b) or a bling new set of carbon wheels / fancy groupset?

thols2

Trek and Kona still do some small size frames with 27.5″ wheels, good chance some other manufacturers do too if you work through their websites.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Its always the lure of a new one…

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for an empty wallet and disappointment TBH.

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, keep what you have as it sounds perfect for you. (easy for me to say as I swap bikes, frames a few times a year!) I don’t like 29er either but we are in the minority here so have to ride 29er new bikes or 26/27.5 old bikes.

dyna-ti

I’ve wondered what difference a 27’5″ actually makes in riding. I mean thats only an increase of 3/4″ higher off the ground. Not really that much.

qwerty
    Free Member

Isla Short used to race one, Silverback iirc.

ferrals
    Free Member

I think you’ll struggle to find a better 27.5 race bike than the scale. I love mine and I only have the alu version. Spend the cash on nice bits for it 👍

I sometimes idly look at new race bikes and they do 100% seem to be 29ers

steve_b77
    Free Member

Buy a 29er put 27.5″ wheels on it.

SSS
    Free Member

Looks like we’re all on the same page. No 27.5 XC racers anymore. Id like shiney new, but one of the dricvers is i could do with new front forks. We all know its cheaper to buy the complete bike than to buy the bits seperately……

Its got Fox 32 Elite CTD, i’ll get a nice set of SIDs for it and then the new wheels….

If lucky enough, like fashion, 29ers will be out and 26/27.5 will be the fashion again!

honourablegeorge

No offence to Cube owners, but I’ve never sat on or seen Cube bike that didn’t have awful, dated, awkward geometry.

I really wouldn’t judge or dismiss 29ers based on one brand.

bridges
    Free Member

According to some people on here, if you don’t want a 30lb+ ‘trail’ bike, then you’re a ‘troll’ and an ‘idiot’ for not listening to them. 😉

I’d quite like a nice, light XC type bike, with wheels that aren’t too massive, but they don’t seem to exist. I’m more than willing to try a light 29er, but that’s not possible right now. As soon as European travel is allowed once more, I intend to go on holiday somewhere with plenty of bike shops, and hire/test a few out over a couple of weeks or so, and then buy one there. This may work out cheaper and easier (and a lot more fun) than trying to source something in the UK. I’m aware some might see this as a ‘tax dodge’, but that’s not the intention; if UK suppliers can’t get stuff in, I’m not going to sit around waiting or chance buying something online without having tried it first.

tomhoward

I’m aware some might see this as a ‘tax dodge’,

Not if you declare it to HMRC, as per the rules.

SSS
    Free Member

The Cube LTD SL was a nice bike, well equipped. 2 things i didnt like about it was the frame was ‘harsh’. Didnt seem to have much give in it. The wheels being 29,i found it wasnt as quick as my 26 or 27.5. Maybe a personal preference, it rolled over the trails well as youd expect, but whats best described as the wheel size rotating mass (best words i can maybe conjure up) it just didnt do it for me. Also The bike just looked BIG. I almost bought a secondhand SWorKS Epic Hardtail, but it was a 29er, and just didnt look right, and after the Cube experiment……

I’ll look for XS or S bikes where they are putting the 27.5s on instead of 29s. But still few and far between, and i like riding medium sized frames.
    Maybe like Scott offering the 7xx and 9xx ranges for 27.5 and 29 wheels in same models, the juice aint worth the squeeze…. pity.

alwillis

OP if you fancy spending on a nice light, maybe FS 29er XC bike, we can then do a swap for my 27.5 boardman pro carbon hardtail. Even fitted it with Reynolds black label carbon wheels, and a new SID fork is on its way (non boost front and QR rear makes upgrades like that nice and cheap, if a little harder to find).

I’ve loved it almost to death in the last 6 or so years, but I think 29ers while maybe not better, are at least as good and certainly more plentiful and available. For full disclosure my wife has an Orbea Oiz that I’ve ridden a bit and it’s miles better than the Boardman!

TheGhost
    Free Member

Just pick a 29er/27.5+ frame with a highish bb it will be the same as some 27.5 bikes. There is a massive cross over in geo. Ignore the manufacturer’s stated wheel size and look at the geo.

For example the Santa cruz carbon chameleon with the 27.5+ dropouts has a bottom bracket drop of 47mm. You’d be fine using it with 27.5 wheels.

bridges
    Free Member

as per the rules

I wouldn’t want to be avoiding the tax on it anyway. I’m assuming I’d not be paying local VAT, and then paying import VAT on arrival? Or; if I pay full price for it (inc local VAT), then use it for a week or whatever, what’s the status then? I’ve never quite understood any of that. And Brexit has made it so much easier to understand, of course. I’ve never bought anything more expensive than a couple of hundred quid, when abroad.

stevextc
    Free Member

According to some people on here, if you don’t want a 30lb+ ‘trail’ bike, then you’re a ‘troll’ and an ‘idiot’ for not listening to them.

I think the summary was you’re an idiot because you won’t try a modern geometry bike before you make up your mind AND seem to think weight is the be all and end all for bimbling about Epping Forest.

bridges

A thread on here about the Bird Aether reveals weights ‘start’ at over 28lbs, and go up over 30! My FSR was a little under 26, and that felt ‘heavy’ in comparison to the Trek hardtail I had, which was about 22lbs. I accept this isn’t really a fair comparison as they are very different bike types, but I’m not seeing any real significant weight loss across bikes. I’m 10.5st, so I don’t need anything super tough.

As was pointed out because in our experience they will climb better than your old FSR but you don’t want to try one and keep saying its not possible. Obviously you can’t really test it in Epping Forest as there aren’t any real hills to speak of but I’m sure plenty of people would have offered you a try somewhere you can.

stevextc
    Free Member

Im 5′ 5”. Ride medium frames.

Bit of a toss up and something you’d need to try… based on your body shape and size and the specific bike.

I’d share the earlier thoughts on the Cube btw… except different manufacturers tend to have different ideas of “people geometry”. Despite having a giant I find they don’t fit me well.. my 11yr old son has long legs for his height and I have short legs for mine and my medium XTC (27.5) fits him far better than me whereas a Whyte is always too high for my legs… this goers more or less across the ranges from XC to Enduro so what fits someone the same height as you might not fit you.

At your height I think that makes it EVEN more sensitive on a 29er….

qwerty
    Free Member

@SSS I’ve found you a few:

Small & mediums available in either flavour of wheel size:

https://www.polygonbikes.com/product/mountain/syncline-c3/

Created for pro cross-country racers climbing to seize a world-cup podium to racers who are enthusiastic about off road riding.

Those size options are available throughout the range of HT & FS.

👌

SSS
    Free Member

Already asked SussedOut Susspension about SIDs they have on their website. The Scale could be getting a nice new front end soon….. I’ll keep looking tho. Maybe try a demo day or something, when the world returns to normal and retry a 29er. Try a Scale 920 or something to get a feel…..

bridges
    Free Member

I think the summary was you’re an idiot because you won’t try a modern geometry bike before you make up your mind AND seem to think weight is the be all and end all for bimbling about Epping Forest.

Er, I think people simply just didn’t understand what I wanted, and suggested something they wanted instead. Which wasn’t the advice I was after. Hence why I chose to ignore those who weren’t understanding. And the bike won’t be just for Epping Forest; if you actually read what I’d posted you’d know this. Oh well.

As was pointed out because in our experience they will climb better than your old FSR but you don’t want to try one and keep saying its not possible.

You really don’t read stuff, do you?

I’m more than willing to try a light 29er, but that’s not possible right now

It’s actually up there, in black and white. Actual words. That you clearly didn’t read. And have you any clue why trying bikes out isn’t possible right now? Right. Let’s move on.

Just pick a 29er/27.5+ frame with a highish bb it will be the same as some 27.5 bikes. There is a massive cross over in geo. Ignore the manufacturer’s stated wheel size and look at the geo.

This is interesting. I was wondering how much putting smaller wheels on, would affect things. Anyone got any experience of this?

SSS
    Free Member

Thanks @QwERTY. USA only and the levelseems to be in line with the Scott Aspect range which is 27.5 available, not same as the Scott Scale range.

Maybe i just need to get taller and heavier……

stevextc
    Free Member

Er, I think people simply just didn’t understand what I wanted

I’m pretty sure they did… what you wanted is an old school geometry bike that is dependent on weight to climb

and suggested something they wanted instead.

Pretty sure as I said they were speaking from the experience of trying a new geo bike.. and finding out they were wrong. I certainly was…

Which wasn’t the advice I was after. Hence why I chose to ignore those who weren’t understanding.

I don’t think you wanted advice though did you? Your responses indicated you wanted someone to agree that modern bikes are heavy and shit.

And the bike won’t be just for Epping Forest; if you actually read what I’d posted you’d know this. Oh well.

I did read and as you’d know if you read then most of us buy a bike for the main use… not the once a year trip or odd weekend etc. (or you buy 2 bikes or you rent a bike on holiday)

It’s actually up there, in black and white. Actual words. That you clearly didn’t read. And have you any clue why trying bikes out isn’t possible right now? Right. Let’s move on.

No clue at all, please explain why you can’t borrow a bike from another STWer?
    What did I miss?

I regularly ride Epping as my mate and kids can cycle from home….We do a 100 km loop on different bikes from my sub 9lb XC to his FS Enduro. Makes little difference at all except his 120mm travel FS 29er is the comfiest and my lightest XC HT is the least comfy but is more efficient on the road sections but all the modern bikes are comfier and climb better than his old school Epic.

BearBack
    Free Member

bottom bracket drop of 47mm. You’d be fine using it with 27.5 wheels

My wife has an aversion to 29″ wheels so we stuck 27.5×2.4 rubber in her 2018 spark 910 Contessa with a 43mm BB drop.. it did not work. Pedal strikes galore with 165mm cranks.
    The Sparks 43mm drop is considered low already.
    I’m trying to choose a Chinese carbon frame as a 27.5 kids project at the moment. Everything ‘modern’ is 29 and I’m trying to get something less than 30mm drop for 152mm cranks.

On another note. My eldest has a spark 700 future pro. It’s a regular spark front triangle that as far as I can tell they’ve paired with the early 27.5 versions rear triangle and linkage giving it a 26mm BB drop and 425mm chainstays
    Last year it was available with a carbon front triangle with a 410mm reach so probably only a bit shorter than your current medium.

matt_outandabout

You may be better seeking a frame. I would suspect *somewhere* has a NOS frame suitable kicking around.

You would have to go pick it up, but:

https://www.cyclery.de/en/gt-zaskar-carbon-pro-275-650b-cross-country-bike-2016-2

bridges
    Free Member

No clue at all

Clearly. I think that sums up your ‘input’. I have no desire to continue indulging your need for confrontation, and I’m sure everyone else is bored with it too, as it contributes nothing to the discussion. So, if you don’t mind, can we just agree to ignore each other from now on? Thanks.

My wife has an aversion to 29″ wheels so we stuck 27.5×2.4 rubber in her 2018 spark 910 Contessa with a 43mm BB drop.. it did not work. Pedal strikes galore with 165mm cranks.
    The Sparks 43mm drop is considered low already.

Interesting, and very useful information there.

Kryton57

I regularly ride Epping as my mate and kids can cycle from home….We do a 100 km loop

@stevextc
    Epping is my local also, I’d be grateful to see your 100km loop?

SSS
    Free Member

@matt_outandabout interesting!! Very interesting… thanks.

stevextc
    Free Member

Kryton
    It’s an Evans one … I have it in Komoot somewhere (for reference as my mate knows it all backwards) but might be as easy to search for the Evans Bucks ORS 100km.

If you can’t find it I’ll see if I can export and put it somewhere for you.

We usually start at Chenies as there is parking (for me) /pub (with beer garden) and the green opposite but its circular so you can jump in wherever you want.

stevextc
    Free Member

Clearly. I think that sums up your ‘input’.

Um yeah… you said some stuff, its lies and you don’t want to go into it … fair enough.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘27.5 XC Racer? Dont want a 29er….’ is closed to new replies.