Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 27.5+ Wheels for a hard tail
  • LittleNose
    Free Member

I’m looking around for a new set of wheels for the hardtail (Whyte 905). It’s setup on the original wheels (27.5 boost plus, SRAM XD freewheel), with 2.8″ WTB Rangers

All I’ve read suggests that 35mm is the ideal width for 2.8” tyres, but wondered if it’s worth saving a little weight and getting something with a ~30mm inside dimension.

I’m thinking of something in the range of £400-£600 range, but could consider more for something special.

So far I’m looking at:-
    – Spank Oozy 395 (35mm 2100g)
    – Stans No Tubes Flow Mk3 (29mm 1920g)

Wondering what else is out there that’s worth considering and which way to go on the weight width issue.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have the Stans Baron S1 wheelset for the same configuration as you, very happy with them and they were less than £300. Who knows how durable the Stans hubs will be, but mine are mainly for dry use and I use 29in wheels most of the year.

With your budget I might go custom though, probably Hope Pro 4 and DT XM 521s.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have DT XM521s 35mm inner for 2.6
    And XM511s 40mm inner for 2.8

Don’t believe all the stuff they say in reviews. 35mm inner with a 2.8 is going to squirm if ridden hard. You need 40mm or more for 2.8

LittleNose
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like 30mm inner are out of the running then. Although I’m not sure anyone could class me as a hard rider!

Been offered some XM1501’s which I’ve heard good things about but thought they were out of my price range.

I’ll also check out what local custom whee builders there are around here.

metalheart
    Free Member

I have hope hoops with the 35mm width running 2.8” WTB and scarper 45’s on pro4’s (Maxxis HR2/DHR2). The 45mm ones are noticeably heavier (which is why I went HH the second time).

Less than 35mm for 2.8” would be a compromise too far for me personally.

twonks

I’m using ARC40 rims with pro 4 hubs on my 2.8″ tyred hard tail.
    Wouldn’t really want to go any smaller width and they don’t feel heavy* or even noticable when riding

*although i am heavy, so maybe not the same for everybody.

TheGhost
    Free Member

If you want to save weight you could give 35mm and 2.6 a go.

If you not a big lad and not riding hard none of this matters 😊

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ Wheels for a hard tail’ is closed to new replies.