• This topic has 29 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by golo.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 27.5+ or 29+ with short Chain Stays?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

Background (skip this if you like)

At a sniff over 6ft, 29 wheels are my natural habitat. Spent many years on steel & Ti rigid 29ers. For a change/laugh I tried one of the OO Fatty’s when they first came out & found them fun, but ultimately not for me. When Sam bought out the Rooster, I dived in figuring the 29+ would be a good ‘inbetween’ platform. I like the Rooster. Its no lightweight, but it climbs anything without having to pick a line and bombs down stuff as fast as I want to descend. The one thing I miss on the Rooster is the flickability through trees & in swoopy singletrack. In tight, fast technical, it tends to just go where it wants, where my 29ers seemed to find their own way while I hung on & pedalled.

I’m no downhiller. I’m an aging rigid XC rider with a few (years old) busted bones that likes a bit more comfort these days. Cant see me doing racing again anytime soon but craving a bit of swoopy fun.

So, my next bike?

Do I try the 27.5+ platform? My thinking is that the 29+ wheels may be the culprit and a tad ‘overkill’, or should I stick to 29+ but try a more engaging riding bike with a shorter CS?

For the 27.5+/29 platform the Travers RussTi is ticking a lot of boxes for the kind of japers I get up to. Trek’s Stache seems to have the 29+ side covered.

What do you think?

Alex

I had my stache with both 27.5+ and 29+ wheels. Preferred it with the 27.5+ (as you can shorten the wheelbase with Trek’s clever dropouts) . I really like my solaris in 27.5+ format as well.  It’s the bike I always choose to blat about in the local woods. Can’t say I miss the 29+

bonzodog
    Free Member

Interesting.

What sort of size are you Alex?

Alex

5ft11 in old money. Long back, short legs. My stache was the L which Trek call 18.5 virtual/19.5 actual and I just got a 150mm dropper in there. It was still quite short (new ones are longer, mine was a 2015). It was fab fun tho, like a mini fat bike on the 29+ and a monster truck hardtail on teh 27.5+

A mate still has one in 29+ and he loves it.

My Solaris is a M which is a bit small but I share it with my daughter and she’s 5ft9. For riding in the local woods for a couple of hours tho, I actually prefer it a bit small. Still quite rangy and extremely chuckable.  I did like my Stache but the Solaris is just a bit more fun.

29+

[url=https://flic.kr/p/V5F31a]Fat Stache[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

27.5+

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kbf9Jn]Enlongened Chubby![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Solaris 27.5+

[url=https://flic.kr/p/WwcVV4]Last ride of my 40s![/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

bonzodog
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts Alex.

TheGhost
    Free Member

My Santa cruz Chameleon has shortish stays when wound all the way in using 27.5+

It’s more  flickable than th Solaris Max when launching off stuff if that helps.

bonzodog
    Free Member

I suppose I’m trying to fathom whether it’s the big wheels that are baulking the handling or if the wheels are good but I need shorter chain stays.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’ve ridden my Solaris Max a lot with 27.5+ and 29 inch wheels, and it handles better with 27.5+ because they are smaller in diameter.

Alex

Agree with @theghost – I’ve ridden my solaris with 29 wheels and it’s nowhere near as much fun.  And they were nice 29er wheels as well! I feel the same way about my FlareMax tho and I have a Mojo3 with chubbies so I’m not an unbiased witness!

Daffy

Second the Stache.  I’m on my second and like you, love a chuckable bike with short stays.  The Stache in 29+ is the bike I always wanted to replace my granite hard Chameleon back in 2009.  It’s awsome and makes me giggle every time I use it.  I used to have a Puffin and have ridden a mates Rooster,  but both felt dead and cumbersome to me.

Im 6’ and 33” inseam and again ride a large.

bigblackshed

Stooge MK3.

27.5+, 29, 29+ in the front. Stick bouncy forks on and it’s mentally capable. “Adjustable chain stay length” because of the EBB.

tdog
    Free Member

Does it have to be a hardtail?

rone

For the 27.5+/29 platform the Travers RussTi is ticking a lot of boxes for the kind of japers I get up to.

5ft11.5 :). Former stache rigid, never really thought it was that much fun. Seemed a bit dull to me.

Swapped to the RussTi 27.5+ and and a whole world of difference. Especially in the comfort and being lively stakes. Ofcourse it was quite a bit more money. Comparing rigid. The Stache’s rigid forks were awful but then you got a lot for your money.

Good customer support from Travers. Had make a few customisations to make it good for me. But it’s been my winter crusher.

Not slow too. I’m on 2.8 tyres.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I had a Stache on  both wheel sizes and loved it. It was the fastest hardtail id ever had on 29+ and a very playful one on 27.5+. I thought I preferred the smaller wheels so sold it and got a Cannondale BOTE 27.5+ but miss the Stache . So for me I think the bigger wheels are my fav.

tdog
    Free Member

Mojo 3 here and lovin it!

I thought that was you mojo Alex, how’s it going?

Alex

Without wishing to derail the OP’s thread, the Mojo 3 is the best bike I’ve had. And I’ve had a lot 🙂 Doesn’t get ridden in the winter as those short chain stays/linkages are not compatible with the FOD Mudfest between December and March. Also while I’m a big fan of the Rekon, it’s not a inter tyre!

I’ve ridden it about 1500km since this time last year. It definitely brought my riding up – and that’s being said as an old bloke who should know better. It’s definitely ‘Californian’ in design but for 3 season a year I absolutely love it.

Really looking forward to getting back riding it when it dries up a bit. How do you get on with yours?

Gratuitous arty pic 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UPqnWj]Mojo3 with carbon wheels. It's finished now. Honest.[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

bonzodog
    Free Member

@rone – Ive exchanged a few emails with Michael. He’s always prompt to reply & offer advice (cant imagine the Trek Stache designer getting back to me too often ;-)), but want to explore my options before I hit the buy button. ideally Id like to demo both, but my location hinders a Travers test ride.

My snobby alter ego would always choose a classy & understated Ti over a mass produced ali (or carbon), but ultimately its down to how they ride. And the Stache does look interesting.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Not overly bothered about having suspension runnning plus tyres.

tdog
    Free Member

Shame as mojo 3 is a sure winner for playfullness and traction.

mine’s going grrrrroooooooovy!

I’ll pm you sometime Alex 🙂

batman11
    Free Member

Two words people.
    Pipedream moxie
    And that’s all she wrote😁

rone

Id like to demo both, but my location hinders a Travers test ride

Where are you based? My girlfriend has a medium stache too. We’re up in North Notts.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Isle of Man 🙂

rone

Well if you’re down in Sherwood or the Peak drop me a line you’re welcome to try either.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Stache owner here too. Are you running the plus tyres tubed? The tubes weigh as much as a small planet and I did notice the gyroscopic effect of the big wheels on the trail. Found the bike hard to pitch over. Going tubeless helped a lot in this respect.

Biggest transformation was getting squish forks up front (originally ran the carbon bowie forks supplied on the oem stache 5).

Tried the bike with 29 x 2.35s from the solaris and didn’t seem to work that well to be honest.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Very kind of you rone. Cheers.

doncorleoni – Im running tubeless on the Rooster. Stans Hugo rims/Hope Pro 2 Evo. Bonty Chuba on the back, Surly Dirt front.

Hmm, Im getting the impression the rigid forks for the Stache aren’t up to much?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Bonz, the bowie forks are pretty good, nice and light but very stiff. Problem I found was with the undamped nature of the plus tyres bouncing all over the place and throwing me offline. Great on smooth stuff but hit any rough terrain and if the hits were timed badly the front end would bounce uncontrollably.

The squish forks took a while to dial in as you are always fighting a bit of undamped squish from the tyres but they work well. I prefer the stache front end higher so the 120mm magnums even with 30% sag sit about 10mm higher than the bowie forks.

Bowie forks are great -Infact I moved them over to my solaris and seem to work much better on that bike.

tdog
    Free Member

That Cotic looks lovely with those mint sea fresh forks

head angle looks good too

tomlevell

I’m more than happy with the rigid Bowie forks on the old 5.

Yes they can be harsh but find the sweet spot of tyre pressure and terrain and the bike flys along. Only ever used the Chupabracadabras which are light, fast and grippy in the dry and certain mud conditions. Swapped to 2.3″ Mud tyres on normal 29er wheels over winter which has also been fine but can’t wait to get back on the big tyres again in a few weeks. I’d like to try more aggressive 3″ tyres but I’d probably get annoyed by them being slower generally. Really rough and rocky trails probably aren’t the place for it though with the standard tyres and rigid.

legometeorology
    Free Member

I’d second the Stooge Mk3 — can go 27+, 29er, or 29 rear and 29+ front.

You can get the wheelbase down to something like 423mm with the eccentric bottom bracket. It’s a lot more flickable and playful than the Ritchey P29 I had before, although not as fast of course.

But, I’m biased… I’ll be selling my Stooge frameset very soon…

golo
    Free Member

Had a similar ish line of thought. I’ve laid my hands on a Kingdom Vendetta which takes 27.5 / 2.8 and 29 / 2.35.

I’m going for 2.6 tubeless first to keep it nimble with enough bounce at the back to save my back.  Purpose is hooning around the woods on the Cotswolds escarpment.  I like the idea of having 29 as an option for long distance Ridgeway type outings.

I do have a long travel full bounce as a complement.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ or 29+ with short Chain Stays?’ is closed to new replies.