Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 27.5 Hardtail Build Advice
  • jwildcard
    Free Member

I am looking at building a hardtail as I have a 10spd groupset ready to go and have hopefully lined up some forks now too after researching a little bit, I have non boost wheels 12×142 rear 15×100 front ready to use. The question is if I purchase a 12×142 frame am I going to have issue going forward with regards to everything seemingly moving over to the boost standard? The forks are 15×100 so will be of the older generation anyway so I guess that limits things a little bit also right? I can get a good frame and forks though I think at about the £400 mark that will make a nice build. The other alternative would be to sell the non boost wheels and start afresh with a frame and forks and wheels then all being needed. I think with the price currently of well specced 27.5 hardtails it seeems to make more sense to build as I do have the majority of the parts needed. Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

OwenP

So for your options, going boost would mean a more expensive frame and fork, plus new wheels (and maybe cranks or chainring etc for boost)? If you are trying to be careful on the cost, boost wouldn’t seem to be a good route with your existing kit. If the only concern is that you won’t be able to get 142mm replacement wheels at some point, I reckon that’s a very low risk (although the choice of off the shelf wheels might be reduced).

marksnook
    Free Member

Why can’t you just buy boost parts and run an adaptor on your wheels? Aren’t there kits that are essentially a few washers to go either side of the hub and a disk spacer?

argee

I have a non boost 27.5 hardtail (kona explosif), it has lasted for me for 2 years, it’ll continue to last for another decade i’d say, i am not worried at all about future proofing, as non boost parts aren’t that difficult to come by.

I’d stick with the non boost build and just enjoy it, biggest issues you may see is that older frames do seem to have ‘old’ geometry, so shorter reach and so on, but it’s a hardtail, it’s 27.5″, i haven’t been too bothered, i kind of enjoy the shorter hardtail as it feels more fun.

Stevet1
    Free Member

You can either boosterise your existing hubs, or buy a frame with swapouts from e.g. Stanton where you can start out with 142×12 dropouts and swap to 148×12 later if you buy new wheels.

stevextc
    Free Member

I just bought a new non boost HT frame for £285.
    Forks were spare but non boost… and it shares wheels with several other bikes in the family.

That said my last 2 front wheels were both MRP better boost supported and one is already being run in a boost fork.

jwildcard
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions so far 🙂 That has given me plenty to think on.
    I think with a standard ish XC frame it is recommended to run 120mm forks, I am going to be using some 100mm Reba forks I think so it is going to sit up slightly lower isn`t it at the front end?
    With regards to the 10speed bits I have, they are older version so are definitely non boost so I think its safe to say I am best to go down the non boost route, the forks are also non boost so I guess in the event of wheels being replaced in the future there will be less options but still possibilities as there are many bikes out there with the same requirements.
    Is the latest geometry aimed at the enduro style postion for hardtails, they look to have increased the suspsion travel and changed the gear ratios with the single ring becoming the thing to have now. I have been running triple chainsets but never use the inner ring to be fair anyway so double at most would be acceptable.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘27.5 Hardtail Build Advice’ is closed to new replies.