Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 27.5 fork on 26″ bike… what size front wheel?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Because other stuff in my life is taking far too long to sort out I’m almost certainly hastily recommissioning my trusty old Zesty 314.

I note that it’s much cheaper to whack a 27.5 fork on than an equivalent spec 26″. I’m assuming this is supply and demand at work. I don’t see it making any wild difference to the bike I can’t cope with – slightly lower BB slightly slacker HA etc. I was already running ‘too long’ a fork in the previous build, so this may actually end up simply being as it was.

Question is: With such a compromise bike that you were trying to keep costs down on, would you tend to run a 27.5 or 26 wheel in the 27.5 fork? Apart from better choice of rims and easier tyre availability is there any real advantage either way?

toby

24.5″ Wheel, obvs! 😉

kelvin

Depends how long the fork is, and what length fork the frame is designed for.

vincienup
    Free Member

Lols all…

Zesty 314’s were originally designed around 140mm forks. 150 or 160 works well, this build was running 150. I know plenty who have chucked slack sets in on top of 150’s and it’s still not problematic at that point so there’s no real issue with the geo side.

I’d probably stick a 140 27.5 on it to begin with, I’ve got a 150 airshaft in the box if I decide i need a bit more later.

I’ve got a decent set of 27.5 rims doing nothing and the existing 26″ front wheel would need a rebuild anyway as it was running some insane Scott 20mm only hub and I want Pikes not the tired old all-travel series Rev that’s on it at the moment. So, the thought was if I’m building a front wheel already… The rear wheel can probably stay as is, it’s an old Pro2 with a steel FH and 10mm upgrade and the Sun SOS rim while not particularly light was quite wide for day and is practically bulletproof…

keithb

Whatever you’ve got lying around?  If you don’t like it, then change it?  It’s only a front wheel, not the hardest to swap!

kelvin

I know plenty who have chucked slack sets in on top of 150’s and it’s still not problematic at that point so there’s no real issue with the geo side.

Slacksets don’t do the same job as putting a longer fork and a bigger wheel in… they leave the BB drop and seatangle pretty much alone, and don’t stress the frame more.

Putting a 140mm travel 27.5 fork in will be like fitting a 160mm 26 fork, both in how it effects geom and stresses the frame.

Personally, I’d stick with a 26” wheel to minimise how much you’re raising the headtube by, especially if you put the forks up to 150mm travel.

vincienup
    Free Member

Hm. Hadn’t realised Stans Barons (35mm internal) came in 26″ too. I figured I wasn’t looking at anything much bigger than ~25mm. Maybe a boost fork would be a good idea … I know non-boost Pike 27.5’s are starting to get quite full with a high volume tyre on a 35mm rim …

bsims
    Free Member

Having had some experience of mix and match bikes, I would agree with Kelvin.

Andy-R

I’m riding, among other things, a Liteville 301 with Marzocchi NCR 350 forks. I swap between 26” and 27.5” front wheels and, to be honest, I can’t say that I notice much difference one way or the other. Tyres make more difference, imho.
    So, as above, I’d use which ever takes your fancy…

endomick
    Free Member

I’ve put a 26″ tyre on a rim and 27.5″ tyre on a rim and put them right next to each other, the difference isn’t huge and nowhere near 1.5″ so I doubt most riders would even notice.

philjunior
    Free Member

Slacksets don’t do the same job as putting a longer fork and a bigger wheel in… they leave the BB drop and seatangle pretty much alone, and don’t stress the frame more.

They do a bit. Not as much as lengthening the fork to give the same angle, but a bit.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’ve put a 26″ tyre on a rim and 27.5″ tyre on a rim and put them right next to each other, the difference isn’t huge and nowhere near 1.5″ so I doubt most riders would even notice.

This is true. The difference is 25mm, like for like tyres.

vincienup
    Free Member

Interesting. Cheers, all!

I know I was surprised the first time I realised a 700×32 would fit a 26” Soul rear end so I’m prepared to at least get a 26er and 27.5” front together to compare.

My overriding thought is that this is meant to be a temporary bike, so any money I spend on it I’d like to be able to carry over to the next one, hence 27.5 fork in the first place (apart from that as OP 26” pikes seem to sell for more) so if a 27.5 boost fork and 27.5 wheel aren’t going to affect things more than the 27.5 fork would in the first place I’ll probably do that. Because the old fork was 20mm I’m going to need to rebuild the front wheel at least if I do change the fork (non adjustable hub).

I know from my HT that non boost Pikes are a bit tight for large volume tyres on wider rims, so boost makes sense to me there too, for the increased clearance.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘27.5 fork on 26″ bike… what size front wheel?’ is closed to new replies.