Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 27.5+ experiment in 29er forks – light tyre suggestions
  • Aus
    Free Member

We’re having a go at 27.5+ tyres on a 29er frame and forks, standard qr. I think there’s plenty of room at the rear and possibly at the front for a 2.8 tyre. Very overwhelmed by tyre choice!

Got the wheels, now looking for a lightweight 2.8 tyre, XC/singletrack/woodland terrain.

Ideally a 2.8 tyre that comes up smallish rather than fattish!

Thanks

nixie

I think I’ve got a WTB ranger 2.8″ you can try for postage. I swapped to a 3″ to match the front.

Alex

Maxxis Rekon for me. Fragile but fast.

mboy
    Free Member

From experience, most quoted 2.8″ tyres are significantly smaller than they claim, even on a 40mm internal width rim, so I think you’ve got plenty of choice.

Aus
    Free Member

Nixie – thanks, have PM’d you.

And good news mboy, trying on 30mm rims so fingers crossed

hatter

Maxxis Ikon in 2.8″ feels as fast as a normal tyre but with the floaty feel of us.

Not the toughest and flipping useless in mud, but it has its place.

boxelder

You may struggle for clearance on 100mm width (std QR) forks. With suspension, you’ll most notice traction gains, rather than big tyre volume, so some of the newer 2.6″ tyres may be as good? But then 29er x 2.6″ will be better again.
    Mullet…….
    I have a 2.8 Nobby Nic you can have to try for postage cost? It’s used and has some sealant residue, but otherwise good to go I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘27.5+ experiment in 29er forks – light tyre suggestions’ is closed to new replies.