Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 26r V 29r
  • nickyd123
    Free Member

Stick with the Orange P7 or twist with a Whyte 829?

Thoughts…….

weeksy

26″ ers are for small children and girls…

Get a mans bike…

In all seriousness, it’s impossible for us to answer without more info.

mattjg
    Free Member

It’s been done to death, and for some reason some people get very irate about it too.

Go look through the history/search.

asterix
    Free Member

yawn

singlecrack
    Free Member

One of each ….job done 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

One of each ….job done

XC full suss
    XC HT
    DH bike
    trail bike
    SS bike
    jump bike

I make that 6 of each…

Keva
    Free Member

get best of both worlds and go for a 27.5er …

drofluf
    Free Member

Aren’t 29er wheels prone to spontaneous explosions?

Best play it safe 🙂

keli1
    Free Member

Lets face it its all about money for most of us , I got new 29r in sept love it truth be told tho if I could I would have lots of bikes . 29r rides better for me which is xc stuff ,red routes but nothing to mental , they certainly ride over obsticals better than my old 26 but saying that it was more than double the cost

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

get best worst of both worlds and go for a 27.5er wishy washy bike …

maxtorque

Personally, i’m not convinced there is really a lot in it.

In the early days of 29, the bikes geometery was so hampered by the larger wheels (chain stay length, BB height etc) that a 26 was deffinately better. Then the designers got to grips with modifiying frames and suspension systems to better fit the larger wheels and the 29 now performs very similarly to a 26.

Lets face it, does a couple of inches in wheel dia make that much difference? I don’t think so, certainly no more difference than say a few inches stem length, or a 2″ longer top tube etc.

29 is supposed to “roll over things easier” but i have never actually seen any scientific evidence to support this (like some drag testing over various surfaces vs 26 wheel), i suspect that generally, a 29 has a longer wheel base than a 26 bike, and that is as much difference as the change in wheel diameter etc.

There are a huge number of b*llsh*t and missinformation sources on the net to falsely “sway” people one way or another. For example, i’ve seen one vid that claims 29 climbs better because the bike travels further for one pedal revolution for example? (er, if that’s the case, just change up a gear on your 26…..)

So, in summary, ride some bikes, buy the one you like best !! simples 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

They are both just bikes, they have some pros and cons but they are both just bikes. As somebody not famous once said, shut up and ride. 😉

khani
    Free Member

Look at it another way, instead of 26v29 try 26and29, it’s another option if it suits you sir..

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Simple test. Do you posses any skill? If yes – 26. If no – 29.

weeksy

muddyfunster – Member

That’s made it easy 🙂

I’ve got the right bike 🙂

pete68
    Free Member

Definitely 29 for me then muddyfunster!

mafiafish
    Free Member

Whyte’s recent offerings have all had great geo from what I’ve read and will hardly be beaten for value for money by an Orange. I’d go for the whyte. I’ve only ridden my On-One race 29er a few times but it feels much more stable and capable on the downs than its 26″ equivalent. But that might be because I have 20mm forks and stiff wheels.

JCL
    Free Member

If you want to go fast 29″. If you don’t care and just want to ride a bike a 26″ is probably cheaper for equal quality.

bentudder

Ah, but if you have skill, then riding a 29er appears to make you sick to the power of rad.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

JCL
    If you want to go fast 29″. If you don’t care and just want to ride a bike a 26″ is probably cheaper for equal quality.

Someone get Peaty on the phone, I don’t know how he’ll take the news but it turns out his V10 isn’t fast.

JCL
    Free Member

Someone get Peaty on the phone, I don’t know how he’ll take the news but it turns out his V10 isn’t fast.

Crap argument but You’ll be pleased to know Peaty only rides a 29″ trail bike.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

JCL

Crap argument

JCL

If you want to go fast 29″

Hardly a crap argument – the fastest mountain bikes on the planet are 26″. That’s a fact. 29ers (other than the Olympics) won nothing of note in 2012. Those are facts. Your argument is little more than anecdotal evidence and your opinion.

You don’t work in a Specialized shop do you?

mattjg
    Free Member

oh god here we go

mattjg
    Free Member

I’d buy the Whyte because I think they look nice. I may even do so myself!

maxtorque

These bits are very important for the performance of your bike:

These bits, less so:

😉

asterix
    Free Member

bigger wheels require more force to steer / change direction, are heavier, and are slower to accelerate and stop – its just physics

singlespeedstu

These bits are very important for the performance of your bike:

I don’t care how fast they make me i refuse to ware overshoes.

andypaul99
    Free Member

The last of my 26ers went up for sale today, im just well and truly converted to the big wheels now. Had a ride yesterday on my 26 epic and couldnt wait to get off. i just prefer the way the 29 rides / steers / climbs. Im not convinced 29ers are that much quicker but im prepared to let that lie for a great ride 8)

Stiggy

I was cynical about 29ers having tried some unexciting ones, I then had a go on a Whyte and have now had a cull and am down to one bike….a Whyte 729 🙂

takisawa2

I’ve been riding long enough to know what works for me.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I just don’t like red bikes.

JCL
    Free Member

bigger wheels require more force to steer / change direction, are heavier, and are slower to accelerate and stop – its just physics

When have you ever had a problem with the steering force/change of direction on a mountain bike? Braking distance is longer on a 26″ of similar travel as grip level is lower. Acceleration is obviously better with the lighter wheel but the momentum and lack of resistance of the larger wheel at least makes up for the difference.

There are other factors that make some 29″ bikes better performing than any similar travel 26″ but you can work that out, it’s just physics 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

bigger heavier wheels require more force to steer / change direction, are heavier, and are slower to accelerate and stop – its just physics

FTFY.

asterix
    Free Member

Larger wheels are heavier, just think of the extra mass in the longer rims and spokes. Of course larger wheels do go over bumps more easily, but given an equal number of spokes they are also weaker

asterix
    Free Member

And steering forces are bigger for larger wheels

JCL
    Free Member

When have you ever noticed excessive steering forces in the real world?

Wheel strength initially concerned me but I didn’t have any issues with a set of carbon Rovals even though I cased the crap out of them a couple times.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

JCL

Wheel strength initially concerned me but I didn’t have any issues with a set of carbon Rovals even though I cased the crap out of them a couple times.

£1000 wheelset seems like an expensive workaround and something I’m hearing more and more. Do you work in a specialized shop?

JCL
    Free Member

£1000 wheelset seems like an expensive workaround and something I’m hearing more and more. Do you work in a specialized shop?

Nope. I like the way their suspension works and they have the best R&D so I ride their bikes.

bentudder

I just built up a 29er – you can get Hope Hoops with Stans Crest rims for under £270 now.

I don’t race much / ever any more, so my main concern is how happy I am riding a particular bike. And I’m very happy riding that 29er – the first one I’ve owned.

I say – give it a try. See if you like it.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Has this subject not got its own Forum yet ………

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘26r V 29r’ is closed to new replies.