Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 26er niche?
  • Ben_H

I’ve written in a previous post that I’m looking towards what will replace my 1.1/8 steerer Cotic Soul frame and forks.

I’ve been riding recently with new people and mates that I haven’t seen in a while. I thought I’d share some observations:

– Of those who don’t already have a 29er or 27er, none intend to swap to a new wheel size;
    – All of them build their own bikes, replacing each part at a time (i.e. never buy a complete OEM bike);
    – After some initial reluctance, at least two are replacing their current frames with new, full price, *not* clear-out/end-of-line 26er frames (where they have taper or 44ID head tubes);
    – None of these 26er riders have owned another wheel size;
    – All of these 26er riders started MTB’ing when only the 26er format was available.

Based on this completely unscientific sample, it seems to me that there’s going to be a sizeable demand for the 26er format for a while…in the aftermarket.

tomd
    Free Member

*goes to look for kitten*

kimbers

OP

Ben_H

Not so much my opinion, but observations!

ndthornton
    Free Member

That’s brilliant 😆

ndthornton
    Free Member

Not your opinion
    kimbers little picture

jam-bo

My current bike is a 26″ wheeled bike. i didnt buy any major part of it new.

when 27.5 frames and forks start filtering through to the S/H market at a reasonable price then I’ll probably change to 27.5.

BillOddie

Remember STW isn’t representative of the real world.

I have a rigid 29er and 26er hardtail.

You’ll be able to get 26er bits for ages.

More of an issue is Headset sizes.

Both my bikes have 1 1/8 headsets. Forks are getting a little thin on the ground.

Would I buy a new 26er? Doubt it, seems a bit silly based on the way things are going.

Would I buy a 650B bike? Maybe but more likely to buy another 29er to be honest.

Northwind

There’ll be a demand and supply for 26er parts, at least as some price points- there’s a bazillion 26er bikes out there after all. But I reckon high end parts availability will decline fast. Same as with straight steerer forks etc. Manufacturers don’t want to have to produce 3 product lines to service the same demand that 2 used to, same with shop stock so demand isn’t the only consideration.

But 26 is the biggest consumable market by far and that won’t change for a long time (if ever?)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘26er niche?’ is closed to new replies.