• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kevj.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 26" wheel on the front of my son's 24" bike. Will he die?
  • peabrain
    Free Member

Just started building up a 26″ bike for my son. It is going to take a bit longer than I hoped…

I have bought some lovely 26″ forks for the new build. The 24″ ones are kaput so i was thinking I could put the 26″ forks on the 24″ bike until I finish the new build. However the 24″ wheel is not quick release.

Would it be ok to put the 26″ wheel on the front, or is it a stupid idea? Plan D would be to just let him ride with broken forks until I finish the 26″ bike

theprof
    Free Member

Assuming disc brakes it should be fine – doesn’t that make it a 64er?

peabrain
    Free Member

Thank you. I think I will go for it, then see what he thinks when he rides it 😀

theprof
    Free Member

Some early MTBs had exactly that setup, the smaller back wheel giving a lower gear for climbing – Cannondale I think.

shermer75
    Free Member

Specialized P1[img]http://static.specialized.com/media/2005/bikes/05P1_Blk_l.jpg[/img]

peabrain
    Free Member

I’m convinced 😀

I’ll swap it over next week and report back…

mamadirt
    Free Member

It’ll be fine. I’ve done it a few times – like a 69er for tiny folk.

br
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just make sure you re-align the saddle etc due to the higher front end.

Obviously checking (with the fork unpressurised) that the front tyre doesn’t hit the frame – it shouldn’t, but best to check.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just like an XS Liteville

antigee

smallest antigee had one like that for a while – it was fine

kevj
    Free Member

I did (sort of) the opposite. Bought my son a Kona fire mountain with 26″ wheels. He is only ten, so refitted the bike with 24″ wheels with the view to swap back as he grows. Bike looks fantastic and is perfect for him.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘26" wheel on the front of my son's 24" bike. Will he die?’ is closed to new replies.