Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 26″ pub bike tyres?
  • sam_underhill

My pub bike/commuter/shopping bike currently has a pair of tubeless 26×2.3 ardents on it as I needed something in a hurry during the winter.
    But they are a drag on the road where it spends 90% of its time. I do have an off-road fire road style climb on my commute (if that ever happens again) so don’t want a complete slick. So any ideas what would be good? Ideally tubeless to reduce the risk of a puncture ruining my day. Ideally not too draggy on the road but with enough grip to get up a short off road climb.
    Ta.

duncancallum

Race kings

Saccades
    Free Member

Big Apple.

Drop the pressure if going off road.

sam_underhill

How did you know my pub bike was a Kona? 🤣

mogrim

Hutchinson Python

Saccades
    Free Member

Because old Kona’s are too good to throw/sell and their geo is good for roads and some tame messing.

😆

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Schwalbe Land Cruiser – not tubeless, and not light, but one of the best cheap multi-use tough tyres.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Race kings

Yep. My goto lightweight everything tyre. Still not as fast on the road as say Landcruisers, Hurricanes, Big Apples etc – but much lighter, is tubeless and not too draggy on the road while tackling most surfaces in a predictably neutral fashion.

Shame they don’t do WTB Nano 26×2.1 now as I’d recommend those

BigJohn

I just did the same and bought a pair of Specialized Crossroads. Wire bead, not tubeless but ride easy on the road and very capable on Cannock Chase.

dyna-ti

Shouldn’t pub bikes come with stabilizers 😕

burko73

My pub bike is a 1992 orange clockwork. Singlespeed in Matt black with brown big apples. They area great tyres and surprising off road on gravel tracks etc. They’re super fast on the Rd and look coooool….

theboatman
    Free Member

Big Ben’s?

itlab
    Free Member

A lot of dirt Jump tires would work

They are designed to be quick rolling for hard jumps and skate parks but still have a bit of tread and plenty of availability in 26inch as dj bikes never made the jump to 27.5

They tend not to be tubeless but they are usually on the sturdy side so offer some protection

Halo twin rail

Schwalbe table top

DMR Moto

timmys

I have a Michelin Country Rock’s on my hack bike, but can’t say there was much thought in it, or that I have compared to anything else, the tread just looked about right.

Funnily enough my wife’s runabout has Race Kings on, but that was purely because I had them lying around.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Specialized fast trak

sam_underhill

Lots of good ideas there, thanks. Funnily enough I have race kings on my DJ bike. They do roll very well, especially pumped up to 50psi!

thelawman

Have a look at Continental Double Fighters. They fail the tubeless request, granted, but otherwise tough, semislick with side knobs, fast on road, and wont break the bank. Plus, they look fine on old Konas (says the man with a ’97 Kilauea)

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Some sub 2.0″ Small Block 8’s?

Dickyboy

Vittoria tattoo light in 26″ flavour – I have some in 29″ and they go up tubeless no problem, way lighter than the big apples too

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘26″ pub bike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.