Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • 26" hardtail build. Thoughts on these frames please.
  • chestrockwell

Hi all. My pals and I have decided to build up some budget 26″ ht’s for messing about on the moors.

I’m looking for something 140mm or there abouts so have been casting glances at 2010-13 frames including the Orange P7 + Crush, Transition Trans Am, SC Camelion, Cotic Soul and Pace 303(?). All seem to be ballpark similar geometry so any thoughts from the masses would be appreciated. 🙂

docrobster
    Free Member

I’m loving my dialled Prince Albert classic. Was new in 2012. 140 forks perfect

poah
    Free Member

Dartmoor hornet

steezysix
    Free Member

Older style NS Surge if you can find one!

hugoagogo
    Free Member

Stanton slackline, just built one up for the mrs, nice looking frame wish I’d waited for a 18″ one to come up so I could use it too.

Mbnut
    Free Member

My Evil Sov never fails to put a smile on my face.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I really like my ragley piglet 2 oink oink

tomhoward

I’d definitely go for a chameleon, but then I’m a little biased 😉

bruneep

that privee in the classified is what I’d buy or an Evil sovereign if you can get one.

robland
    Free Member

Piglet 2

withersea
    Free Member

prince albert

chestrockwell

Thanks for the options, I’ll have a gander. Ruling out Ragley as they seemed to be priced far above what I’d pay for a brand with a rocky reputation.

Agreed tom, it’s a belter for sure 😉 Not sure what happened to my spelling check above 😆 :roll

pickle
    Free Member

The 456 evo II is a great riding frame as well and dirt cheap, no good though if you’ve got tapered stearer forks. but love mine

milfordvet
    Free Member

456 Evo carbon. Ride mine rigid with Lurcher forks. Much more fun than a 29er (Singular Swift) and a softer all day ride. Its the best bike I’ve ever had. Its miles more comfortable for all day riding than he same set up in all titanium. Wont drip rusk streaks like a steel frame, be miles lighter and be stiff in the downtube, bottom bracket and chainstays where it needs to be. Not found a better all round bike in 30 years. Fattys, Mountvisions, Stumps all come and gone. Not ridden it with 140’s though.

kayak23

If you can get hold of a Transam I’d fully recommend it. Great all-round frame. Tough as anything but pedals really nicely. I had it originally with a 140mm Pike.

With new paint and 150mm Revelations.

I’ve actually swapped it with a Production Privee Oka now as my main hardtail, but I’ve built the tranny up with spares for my girlfriend.
    Great frame.

onlysteel
    Free Member

2007 P7 single speed here, with 140 vans. Great bike. Comfy, durable and a ridiculous amount of fun. Perhaps more likely to pick one up second hand too? I’ve also ridden a 26″ Soul of similar vintage: custard yellow, so possibly Mk2? Nice enough bike but since been passed on to no.1 son. P7’s going nowhere.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Stanton slackline, just built one up for the mrs, nice looking frame wish I’d waited for a 18″ one to come up so I could use it too.

Loved my old Slackline. It was such a lovely bike to ride and so much fun.

chestrockwell

Thanks again all. Ruling out the Price Albert due to the decals looking terrible! Stanton looks interesting….

Not bothered about all day comfort as this will be a short blast bike for occasional use. I’m still a fully paid up 29″ full suss fan for everything else. We came up with this plan after mincing about the front of ilkley moor off piste, trying not to scratch our posh bikes! We have loads of moorland to explore around here but the full suss is overkill and expensive to replace or repair.

456 is certainly on the list but would have to be cheap. P7 plays to my Orange bias but I would want to pay less for one of those compared to the Transition or Santa Cruz as the age I’m looking at would have a 1 1/8th steerer. I’m happy to go for the older standards but would put a stricter budget on a bike that would be harder to get parts for.

chestrockwell

Cheers pickle, it’s on the watch list

binners

I bloody love my P7, but everyone should own a Chameleon at some point.

They’re the 2 wheeled equivalent of a juvenile delinquent drinking cider, smoking weed and necking legal highs, while casually vandalising a park, before donning a scary clown outfit and going terrifying some grannies by leaping oput of bushes at them brandishing a chainsaw.

Whats not to like? 😀

chestrockwell

That sounds like what I’m after binners! Looking like either the Transition or Santa Cruz at the moment.

cubist
    Free Member

2nd vote for Dartmoor hornet

mcj78
    Free Member

binners nailed it with the chameleon description – fits the bill especially if you’re not bothered about all day comfort, as anything over 3 hours or so on mine feels like being repeatedly kicked up the arse by an angry chimpanzee wearing rigger boots… I wouldn’t change it though – 10 years young & still going strong, now reverted to 2×9 as it’s my only mtb these days

senorj

I have a 2010 p7.It’s a pleasure to ride it.
    There was one for sale on here a few weeks ago I think…..straight steerer though…

Gunz
    Free Member

Not on your list but my Cove Handjob still makes me smile.

binners

My old Chameleon….

Replaced by a succession of more old duffer friendly steel frames (presently a P7). As MC pointed out – very accurately – after a couple of hours you feel like you’ve dropped the soap repeatedly in the showers, while Mr Big and the boys were in and had the horn. Its a brutal ride! But prior to that, for short blasts, like you’re on about, its like an oversized BMX. A right old laugh! 😀

Nice bike that MC! I do feel a pang (mainly in my arse) about a nicely sorted Chameleon

nicollow

Commencal Absolut…

johnny2177
    Free Member

I love this On One 456Carbon 26″ Single Speed, but check it out, right now it’s under $500USD for the frame…you can get a nice long travel hardtail for around $1500…

jasonabudd

I had a 2007 P7 and had no end of bother with the drop outs sliding. Every ride I went on I would finish with the back wheel crabbing side ways. I contacted orange and the sent me extra bolts to put through the rack mounts needless to say that didn’t work. I’ve now got a Soul and never looked back, brilliant bike, all day fun!

Mugboo

I’ve just stripped my original, raw, c456 with 2 degree Slacker and Fox 36’s set at 140. It has a brand new lower headset bearing.

hambl90
    Free Member

Cove handjob was the best riding hardtail I’ve ever owned.

mcj78
    Free Member

Cheers Binners – that photo was just after I’d rebuilt it, looks more “loved” these days – had a dilemma recently whether or not to keep it or the (probably more practical) heckler I just sold… knees are dodgy so a few hours of riding is about all I can manage in a day, might as well give myself a good thrashing along the way 😆

phill87
    Free Member

Blue Pig!! You can ride them like an absolute lunatic 😀

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

Thanks for the options, I’ll have a gander. Ruling out Ragley as they seemed to be priced far above what I’d pay for a brand with a rocky reputation.

The new ones have gone expensive but you can still pick up early ones for peanuts. If you can live with stiff-as-**** then the Mmmbop is awesome, and if you can live with heavy-as-train then the Pig is worth a look. The handling really is outrageously good, any idiot can make a long slack low bike but my Ti wasn’t just awesome at descending, it was the best technical climbing bike I’ve ever ridden.

jambalaya
    Free Member

BFe rather than Soul for 140mm I’d say (mine has switchable Sektors 110/150)

TransAm always caught my eye in MBS as I have a from them Covert too

filks

Carbon 456. Totally ace and going cheap 2nd hand. Love mine!

chestrockwell

Starting to lean towards steel simply because it’s where I started. Bfe would be an option but they seem expensive compared to equivalent frames.

Carbon a no, no as I plan to fall off a lot and it doesn’t suit my idea of a knock about bike.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I went for an Aline over a Prince Albert. Just aother to add to your list: especially now you’re leaning toward steel.

I love mine. I also fall off a lot and it’s fine. I’ve taken the downtube stickers off as I wasn’t a fan of the gothic font.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’m loving my BFe with 130mm forks at the minute, it just eggs you on into being a complete idiot much to the chagrin of the lady who feeds the horses* in the morning. The Sunn Tzar I stripped to build it is also an awesome frame and is slightly less uncivilised than the BFe (slightly longer front and slightly lower BB) but still an absolute hoot.

But yes, steel hardtails FTW 😀

* not our horses, I don’t do horses, they’re just some horses in a field I ride past on my morning blast out.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘26" hardtail build. Thoughts on these frames please.’ is closed to new replies.