Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 26'' FIVE – worth upgrading? . . .
  • simon80
    Free Member

Hi,
    you may have seen one of my recent posts on the possibility of running 26”forks/wheels on a Yeti SB6C.
    The forum users were helpful but silverfish/Yeti both told me it would be horrendous.
    So if I cannot afford my dream bike, is it worth spending some coin on weight loss and performance gains for my FIVE AM?
    Spec at the moments is:
    2012 18” frame
    fox rp23 shock
    FOX 36 TALAS RLC
    Hope pro2evo with flows
    Minion DHF/DHR both in TR EXO 3c set up tubeless
    Truativ Holtzfeller stem
    Renthal Fatbar(alu)
    Renthal Kevlar grips
    SLX drivetrain 2x with bashring
    XT cassette
    Reverb.

I am considering:
    Sending Forks to mojo to be converted to FLOATs as I never use the travel adjust. This should probably make them more supple and lose a small amount of weight.
    Replacing my shock – never been overly impressed with it. Considering ccdb inline or BOS vip’r. May add a little weight, but could improve performance.
    Carbon bar and lighter stem.A little weight loss.
    1×10 with oneup rad cage and 42 crawler cog.34 narrow/wide front ring- weight loss and simplicity.
    Lighter cranks?

I want to know if anyone thinks this would be a good idea in any combination, or, if I would simply be spending money that should be saved for future mountain bike – whatever form that may take.
    Thanks,
    Si

devash
    Free Member

Just upgrade what you have. The Five is an absolute classic. You don’t ‘really’ need a new bike.

eddie11
    Free Member

I know you don’t want to hear this but there’s not a lot wrong with that bike. 🙂 sorry.

Maybe a cane creek shock? Maybe send it back to orange for a respray if you’re bored? New valve caps? Shinier stem for the sake of it?

Suggsey
    Free Member

For me an my Five AM, which I specced for uplift days I notice the heft of the Fox 36 Floats and the Hooe V4 vented disc brakes………but then to lighten it up ie compromise the kit I specced it with would in my opinion stop it being so great for big descents and uplift days.
    What I’m trying to say is those would be the two main areas I would get smaller/ lighter/ more flex areas.
    Ride the current bike like you stole it and lighten it up as parts wear out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just ride the bloody thing! It’s a bit like fishing rods. Years ago all we had was fibre glass rods & before that, split cane. People still caught fish before carbon fibre rods came along!
    It’s no different.

stevede
    Free Member

I just built a 26er Five back up, CCDB air cs and one offset bush on the rear and 140mm devilles up front, it’s ace fun. Old fashioned and 4.6% slower than the 650b version but fun nonetheless 🙂

johnny

I have been through similar thoughts with my SB66, however in the end its in the process of getting a lary paint job, and will be rebuilt with an RS monarch plus and pikes. My only debate is whenever to get 26″ or 650b pikes for future use….?

Mugboo

Stevede, don’t break this one…

stevede
    Free Member

I’ll try not to Jase! Can’t promise owt though, you know me…. And funnily enough I’m off to do that dartmoor loop on Sunday so there’s always a chance! Still got my Alpine 160 to share the abuse so hopefully this Five won’t have as hard a life and will last me longer than six months. Happy Xmas mate.

simon80
    Free Member

Stevede – how do you find the CCDB CS?
    Does anyone have experience of the DB inline or BOS Vip’r?

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got the CCDB CS on both my alpine and my five and rate it highly, I had a fox coil and a CCDB coil on my old five and have run various fox air cans, a push tuned rp23 was decent enough but the CCDB is leagues ahead, the climb switch is handy too especially on the oranges. The CCDB coil was nice but a shade heavier and no cs. Originally I fancied a vip’r but a mate of mine was without his for the best part of 6 months waiting on bos sorting it which put me off. If i was buying again the short list would be monarch plus and CCDB air cs, I’m not convinced by the inline.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Add up all the cash you’d spend ‘upgrading’ your bike.

Spend it instead on a holiday riding somewhere awesome.

(Fyi, the slx bashring weighs about 200g, swap that for a bbg)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

there’s not a lot wrong with that bike.

and

Spend it instead on a holiday riding somewhere awesome.

FTW.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘26'' FIVE – worth upgrading? . . .’ is closed to new replies.