• This topic has 59 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • 26 ain't dead – The story of a Steel Frame
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Many years ago (well, Halloween 2006 to be precise) I snapped my Sanderson running into the front of a parked car.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7h2MWw]Crash_018[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

Shortly after that I placed an order for one of the limited run of 853 Inbred frames and in early 2007 it was delivered, and built up precisely like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/768Bxy]Inbred 013[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

About 2-3 weeks later, at walking pace in Lee Woods, Brizzzle, a Stick went through my back wheel, and travelled precisely half a wheel turn to wreck the mech and do this to the mech hanger:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5jCW66]DSCF0028[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

\[url=https://flic.kr/p/5jHdjU]DSCF0032[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

I took that photo that night. I was gutted. After asking some advice I decided there was nothing to loose by attempting to straighten the hanger, which was a slow careful process using a vice, controlled aggression and an old hub axle as a fulcrum….. But it worked, and it’s still working today!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5jH8YA]dropout 027[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

The next winter I SS’d it for a while, mud tyres and everything!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7vnGxZ]IMG_1459[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

It was well known at the time that the 853 frames in particular had very little chainring clearance to the chainstay (I measured it at 2.5mm) and despite fitting 3 new middle rings in a year it only took that long for chain suck to work it’s way through the stay. I couldn’t stop it… 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4Qgcfi]IMG_5531[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4Qkobu]IMG_5525[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

I nearly did a 2ft drop off (I usually did it) on my way home that night!

So, anyway, I took it to Argos Cycles for a respray and a new stay. Rather than copy the old design I asked for a straighter one, which lost 2-3mm of mud room and gained maybe 5mm or more of chainring clearance.

Now I can get my finger in there! This worked. To this day chain suck just doesn’t happen. You may say frames don’t cause chain suck, and you’d be right. But poor design in that area makes the consequences of chain suck a lot, lot worse. A fact I’ve proven.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/55A3dG]IMG_7251[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

And once rebuilt the bike looked like this

[url=https://flic.kr/p/55A18Q]IMG_7246[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

I rode it like that for a few years but after I discovered that vee brakes won’t stop a fully laden bike plus me plus trailer on a wet Cornish hill I decided i needed a disc braked touring bike (sensible IMO) and repurposed the Inbred into a tourer of sorts:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ekUXKF]IMG_1968[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/em25rA]IMG_2179[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nSiG7s]IMG_3963[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

To be fair, it made a bloody good tourer/commuter and I did a LOT of miles on it in that guise.
    Last year however, 2 weeks before our tour I found this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wHCyrd]Untitled[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

I think the weight and strain was literally pulling the seat tube apart.
    I quickly repurposed my Croix de Fer into a 3×9 flat barred tourer, and it did rather well. That set plans in motion for a dedicated tourer and I now have a Tour de Fer which is ace.
    But I never forgot about the Inbred.
    The frame sat in the loft for nearly a year (I had a Saracen Kili Flyer as my main bike, I didn’t need 2 steel hardtails) but after I swapped that for a Trek Stache, I decided to sort the old One One out again.
    This is just meant to be a cheap repair to last a year or two, then maybe I’ll get a new seat tube put in, so it’s a cheap powder coat in and off the shelf colour from a local firm and some cheap (and they are cheap. And crap…) decals off eBay, after getting someone to run a weld over the crack and then reaming the seat tube out
    I’d saved a lot of the parts off the Saracen, and I had a few bits lying around, so all I’ve had to buy is a chain, cassette and chainring which cost me just over £30 all in.
    So now, with a new lease of life, she looks like this…!

**fanfare**

[url=https://flic.kr/p/HhBZpt]Untitled[/url] by Peter Atkin, on Flickr

So yeah, nothing earth shattering really.
    And yes, I know some will think I’ve wasted money repairing an old, obsolete frame (again….) But that’s not the point.
    I like the frame. Its fits me perfectly, It’s amazingly versatile (Proven point again!) and almost infinitely repairable, and how often is that touted as an advantage of a steel frame? Lots..! So that’s what I’m doing.

So I’ll keep repairing it until its utterly shot, then hand what’s left on the wall and remember the many thousands of miles and the good times. It’s a keeper, this one. 🙂

p.s.
    Have you noticed the one component that’s never changed?

IHN

Nice. I have a 26″ 853 steel hardtail (Genesis Altitude) and I expect it will be last ever mountain bike. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And if it is, I can 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

headset spacers

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

thoroughly enjoyed that..nicely done.

That explains the issue I’m having with clearance of the chainring on the old Bfe.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

headset spacers

Nope. At one point they’re silver, others they’re black.
    More obvious than that. 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

cranks?

ctk
    Free Member

But what about the Sanderson?! I was expecting “so I took the downtube from the on-one and…”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But what about the Sanderson?! I was expecting “so I took the downtube from the on-one and…”

It’s a fair point. And well made.
    To be honest it was a nice bike but it didn’t really suit me. The Inbred is a better bike.
    I should have kept part of it though, I suppose.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

cranks?

Yup, easy!

RustyMac

Cranks??? but the Sanderson has black cranks. wheels don’t appear to have changed well rims anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

A great read. Persistence:)

lunge

Lovely bike, and lovely, unchanged, cranks.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

wheels don’t appear to have changed.

They have, actually, but it’s hard to spot. The first ones were from CRC and had Hope XC hubs which died on the previous years tour: I pulled the rear rim apart. Same model rim now, built by me this time, on DT 240s hubs but not the same actual rims, so you’re sort of right. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but the Sanderson has black cranks.

They’re actually a bronze coloured pair of FSAs but I was referring to the Inbred really. 🙂
    Spot the difference over! 🙂

clodhopper
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have bothered spending so much time and money on such an ordinary frame, but well done for keeping it from the scrap heap! 😀

pickle
    Free Member

top stuff! and well done for not binning a great frame

chakaping
    Free Member

*likes*

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

such an ordinary frame

Limited edition, one of 100 853 geared frames produced. I’d bet half are gone now.

jellysticks
    Free Member

This is excellent. I love the repairability/modificationability of steel – a disc mount for my 1997 Kona Lava Dome is on the list and it’s great to know it can basically (allowing for the Trigger’s Broom effect of course) go on for ever.

Nice work on keeping it going in so many guises!

finbar
    Free Member

Nice story, thanks 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

Its a great looking bike. The orange build is my preference.

sv

Glad to see its still going! Another chapter in its life and certainly not an ordinary frame 🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

i like steel,and perseverance 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The orange build is my preference.

That was the best paint. It still looked fine after about 6-7 years use, but for £120 it bloody well should have!

I’ve just worked out I’ve spent about £330 on repairing a frame I paid £249 for 😳

superstu
    Free Member

Was the Seattube problem caused or made worse by cable rub?

Nice one on the persistence. Repairs have been much cheaper than new frame(s) so if you like it then why not.

Nice to see it used in different ways. Keep enjoying it!

nedrapier

Nice story! good work for sticking with it!

Mine isn’t quite as as dramatic. Bought a year old 2nd hand Dekerf Generation from Recycle in Penge in 2000. Race face, LX, suntour thumbies, lime green Z2 Fly Bombers. flared the headtube a few years later, took it to Chas Roberts, who brazed & reamed the headtube and added reinforcing rings, painted it blue and new decals (badly – see pics below!).

Went through few wheels, Marzocchi MZ comp forks then disc brakes arrived with a Reba Team fork.

Bought an 853 Dialled PA on the preorder offer (2012?), which freed up the dekerf to be sent off for more extensive froo-frooing, disc mount on the back, hydro guides for cable stops, canti bosses removed and dents filled. And spangly paint with forks to match. Set it up rigid singlespeed (salsa cromoto, Phil Woods EBB), as the PA was taking care of the ruffty-tuffty end of things.

Handling was razor sharp, so took the opportunity to introduce a little more comfort, grip, and calm the steering down a bit with a 3″ knard on a Hugo up front. Cleaned up a tiny jpg of the logo and sent it off to Greg Moorhouse for a pewter headbadge too.

(I’ve shortened the brake hose since then!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Was the Seattube problem caused or made worse by cable rub?

Nooooo. I had to remove the paint to find the crack. That was seriously tough orange stuff. When I was building the bike up I dropped a spanner on the top tube. Not a mark….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

nedrapier, that De Kerf in green is LUSH, baby!
    What a fantastic colour!

honourablegeorge

I quite enjoyed that wander along someone else’s nostalgia. And yes, orange was best.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Dekerf and OnOne both lovely.
    Cheers pp I’ll keep an eye on the stays on my 853 sliding dropout SS frame.
    Currently repurposed for allotment duties.

acjim
    Free Member

I remember your Sanderson stack like it was yesterday, shows how old I’m getting! Good work on the inbred, modern classic?

Duffer
    Free Member

Great story about the Inbred. You often hear people claiming ‘repairability’ as a plus point for steel frames, but it’s rare you see anyone actually repairing them.

I have an Inbred and a 456, and i’ll certainly look i to repairing them if they break. You can’t buy that kind of history!

honourablegeorge

Not sure we got enough detail about how he crashed into a parked car either.

Although “Halloween” took my train of thought a particular direction

nedrapier

cheers PeterP, it is lush. Fine metal flake and a yellow top coat. Looks fantakka in the sunshine – but to paraphrase, “at £155, it bloody well should do!”

like you, a multiple of the original price spent on the frame, but if you’re attached to something, you’re attached to something.

nedrapier

oops, dp.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s the pedals, what do I win?

Good effort keeping it going when most would of binned and started fresh 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cheers pp I’ll keep an eye on the stays on my 853 sliding dropout SS frame.

I’d keep an eye on the dropouts If I were you, mine has a small crack near where the axle tightens. You won’t eat the stays on a SS version, the chainring has more space up front.

Nice post OP, looking forward to one day giving my SS 853 Inbred the full refinishing attention. Including filling in the pointless rack mounts..

theboatman
    Free Member

Nice 🙂

My Soul at it’s birth, Xmas day 2008;

[/url]Picture 015 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

Been my only mtb since, it’s seen off wheels, forks, drive trains and too many contact points to count. But still going strong and still putting a smile on my face. I should perhaps show it some love…..

[/url]IMG_20160529_194924 by IamDeathside, on Flickr[/img]

long may it remain my only mtb 🙂 but road bikes, that’s different story…..

kayla1
    Free Member

Steel frames, gotta love ’em! Mine’s going nowhere 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not sure we got enough detail about how he crashed into a parked car either.

Although “Halloween” took my train of thought a particular direction

I’d washed my bike the previous ride and was riding out to meet the others (at about 6.45pm. It was dark, but that’s nothing to do with it) and my front mech (Remember those..?) was sticking, probably a gritty cable and I was tapping it with my heel and actuating the shifter to free it up. I was looking at the front mech, couldn’t even SEE the front wheel….
    This was down a long, shallow hill and I rode slap bang into a parked Citroen and smashed the windscreen with my face, left a ‘me sized’ dent in the centre of the bonnet and a Sanderson shaped vee in the bumper
    This was witnessed by a couple driving passed who stopped and insisted upon holding my head still for a good 20 minutes until the ambulance arrived. None of us knew the name of the road (No smartphones then either) and nobody would answer the door to sell us where we were (Highgate Lane, forever etched onto my cortex from that night) as it was Halloween and they thought it was Trick or Treaters….
    So, ambulance arrives and they sit me down and ask me some questions and decide to take me in. I SIT in the ambulance and ride to Frimley Park A&E, then WALK through the door. After being checked in the virtually wrestle me to the horizontal position and tape me to a spinal board where I’m immobilised for an hour or so whilst they X-ray me. All I can remember was that I was BUSTING FOR A PI$$ and getting rather annoyed as I felt the board was waaaaaay too late.
    In the meantime Mrs PP had come and seen me then gone to collect my bike. As she pulled up to the house on Highgate Lane where it was stored the driver of the car came back and was about to drive off, oblivious to the damage until Mrs PP pointed it out to him…
    Long story short but it was a company car and their insurers lost my details and called me up to get them again about a year later. I provided them again. About another year or so later I got a letter as they’d changed hands and needed my details AGAIN, but I got this letter on a mail redirect after I’d moved. I rang them and told them I’d given them the info twice after well over 2 years I did’nt have a clue what my insurance details were back then, and I’d moved and they could poke it, sunshine, or words to that effect….
    That’s it, in a nutshell……
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘26 ain't dead – The story of a Steel Frame’ is closed to new replies.