• This topic has 56 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by accu.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 26 ain't dead. Cotic Rocket content
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Most certainly not it seems.

An ex-demo Rocket from 2012 was returned to Cotic so Cy decided to auction it. Interesting I thought, I’ll pop a bid on – say £300-350 ish. Well before you know it its £500 and now £750 ! Chapeau to Cotic as I have to think its the brand value and customer loyalty driving interest at least in part. So clearly I’m not buying it. I recently gave away my Reign frame to an STWer as I wanted to see it get used and no interest from classified when I posted it. Proces clearly all over the place.

So my brain is working a bit now, how much for a medium Bandit ? A friend of Jedi’s sold a small recently quite cheaply which would have interested me but too small. I’ve bits to build up my brand new unused 2012 Prince Albert Classic frame which is the current plan but perhaps it could be a Bandit ? I’m brand loyal too as current bikes are Cotic and Transition so not interested in other FS options really.

Rocket auction on facebook and Cotic website

jedi

im loving my saracen 14x and 16x frames. 26 deffo aint dead for me

flyingmonkeycorps

I proper bloody love my Rocket, took me a little bit of tweaking both to me and the bike (and a new shock) but a couple of rides ago everything just clicked. I feel no need to change wheel size whatsoever; in fact I quite fancy a nice 26″ wheel Soul to be its brother. Shame I have no money to buy one.

binners

That is a lovely thing. Always fancied a Rocket.

I’d imagine that 26″ is only really dead to those who get given bikes rather than buy their own

sharkattack

I’d have one. I love my Bfe. If I could have that steel feel with less ankle smashing vibrations on DH stuff I’d be happy.

legend
    Free Member

those who get given bikes rather than buy their own

Sadly not, shared a chalet with some Canadians this summer…. “Oh you guys still ride 26ers?”. They’d all massively drunk the 650b kool-aid to the point that 26 was a relic

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I still use my Genesis 2007 altitude 853 in 17.5″ I wouldn’t ever be without it its one of those bikes that after a ride I’m smiling for the rest of the week I love it.

br
    Free Member

“Oh you guys still ride 26ers?”. They’d all massively drunk the 650b kool-aid to the point that 26 was a relic

Yep, on a recent night ride the three of us who turned up were all 26ers; Cube Stereo, Meta FS and a Soul.

The 650’s and 29ers were all tucked up safely.

jam-bo

Bandit 26 going strong here. No plans to change it while it’s in one piece. If you get one, size up, they are super short.

Even managed 500 miles bike packing in Iceland on it this summer. Not an ideal tool for the job but sometimes you’ve just got to go with what you have.

Planning on racing local XC series on it this winter and may even have a crack at a couple of the local DH series as well. SW enduro in the summer.

timraven

Just put a new Cane Creek DB inline on my 26″ Rocket, absolutely fantastic bike, as flying monkey says “I have no desire or plans to go to change wheel size” or indeed bicycle.

timraven

The 650’s and 29ers were all tucked up safely.

😆

rudedog
    Free Member

Its dead as far as most manufacturers are concerned though 🙁

How many 26″ frames are Cotic producing?

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Got 3 29ers and a Rocket and Soul26-love them all and it’s difficult to chose what to ride!!!!
    Keeping them all too

@timraven
    Just got a ccdb in line for my Rocket26 although never had a problem with the Fox that’s on it.
    Do you fancy sharing your weight and shock base settings with me to save me a bit of chew?
    Apparently if you email Cy he will provide some but not got round to it yet.
    Looking forward to trying it out
    Email in profile
    Cheers
    Steve

PolisherMan

The problem is trying to find forks…

“Kermit” my green 26″ Soul could do with some new 120mm Reba’s in white, can I find some…?

br
    Free Member

The problem is trying to find forks…

Black ones.

https://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-reba-rl-forks-26-2014-65838.html

gelert
    Free Member

Set of black Reba 120mm for 26 inch back from SRAM Tech UK had full warranty service including brand new damper in a box in my garage. Totally unused since returning as I sold the bike they came off with it’s original OEM Fox 32 fork back on it while the Reba was away. They’re 15mm axle tapered Solo Airs. Steerer is around 200mm but I’d have to check that.

Any good?

_tom_
    Free Member

Still on 26″ for my voltage. Can’t see me changing any time soon unless I get a new bike (also not likely)!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

No, 26 ain’t dead, you just can’t buy it anymore!

Most of the people I know are still on 26, a few have 29ers and that’s it. A group of us go to the Alps every year and all were on 26, no one even talked about wheel sizes and no one’s likely to change bikes soon, we all just got on with enjoying them.

Also on local club ride recently, I thought I’d take my 29er so I’d fit in with all the young cool dudes and their fast xc type bikes. Out of about 12 only 2 were on a 29er, everyone else 26.

It’ll be a good few years before I buy a new bike now, I have plenty of 26in tyres, forks, frames that work perfectly to keep me going for ages

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jam bo very nice bike. Noted on the sizing, perhaps I can look out for a large too then. Sadly all seem hard to come by.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’m a serial bike replacer but I honestly cn’t justify replacing my 12 Enduro just now. Wish it wa slighly longer, and maybe a degree slacker, but I’ve never once thought ‘I wish this had bigger wheels’…

it more than cabable for any riding I do, and I’d need to improve exponentially (or more realisticly grow a pair) before I could see any benefit.

Doesn’t help that its probably only worth 700 quid, despite it having only done about 500 miles in total over the past 3 years!

NormalMan

Of the usual suspects I ride with occasionally (7 riders) only 1 has a 29er*. All the others are on 26ers, although in a variety of styles and flavours 🙂

All are HT’s too. Although I have a FS 26ers that is up for sale. (Spesh Camber Expert)

*I’m also on a 29er.

kerley
    Free Member

26 will never die as long as I have my Ti frame that is perfect for my needs.

I could see why people moved to 29 (it is probably a better wheel size for me with the XC riding I do) but now 27.5 is the thing to have it is really not so obvious why the need to change.
    Hold your fingers 13mm apart and having a wheel that much bigger in radius doesn’t seem like such a big deal.

I suppose it gave those who found 29 a bit too big to go back to a smaller wheel without going all the way back to a 26 and feeling like they wasted their time and money moving away from 26….

ads678

My two mtbs are both 26ers. Commie meta am, and a ragley blue pig. Love em both and won’t be changing any time soon.

kayla1
    Free Member

26″ here too, three to five bikes between us depending on how fickle I’m feeling 😆

I suppose it gave those who found 29 a bit too big to go back to a smaller wheel without going all the way back to a 26 and feeling like they wasted their time and money moving away from 26…. manufacturers who were pushing 29″ a way to save face without having to admit defeat and say that there’s the square root of bugger all wrong with 26″ wheels and they’d run out of ways to sell us stuff.

Fixed.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I feel a resurgence coming on, Commencal and Kona (the the odd other brand) have kept the faith and I wouldn’t be surprised if a few other new 26ers appear with the buzz words “fun” and “chuckable” glued to them.

zero-cool
    Free Member

My Alpine 160 is running sweet. And it’ll have to as I can’t afford a new bike. I can still keep up with my buddies on bigger wheels (at the mo).

I won’ say #26forlife, but it’s definitely #26fortheforseeablefuture

And to be fair I’d probably only get a 27.5 Alpine or Five (or maybe a Geometron).

Tom KP

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I only have 26″ bikes.If I got a new F/S I’d like a Transition Scout,but the ‘Old School’Enduro is more than enough for me.

I’ve never had a ‘proper’ steel hardtail & I’d love a 26″ Cotic Soul,I keep looking in the classifieds for a small size frame,no luck so far..

kerley
    Free Member

26″ here too, three to five bikes between us depending on how fickle I’m feeling

I suppose it gave those who found 29 a bit too big to go back to a smaller wheel without going all the way back to a 26 and feeling like they wasted their time and money moving away from 26….
    OR
    manufacturers who were pushing 29″ a way to save face without having to admit defeat and say that there’s the square root of bugger all wrong with 26″ wheels and they’d run out of ways to sell us stuff.

Fixed.

Think it is a bit of both really. The manufacturers didn’t get it all wrong with 29 though did they. As I said for the riding I do a 29 would actually be faster but I enjoy a 26 more.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s one of each wheel size in our house, all good.

(two of those bikes just happen to be Cotics)

breninbeener

@gelert can you tell me more about your Rebas? Im guessing from your posts you may be in N Wales too?

breninbeenerATgmailDOTcom

iainc

Often think about changing my 26 Soul, but it’s only 2 yrs old and I’d probably replace it with a 27.5 one, which would ride just about the same !! I have a 27.5 Anthem and whilst they feel different I can’t say i notice the wheels being a little larger 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jam bo thanks email sent.

26 certainly not dead for me, as above looking at more 26″ bikes not less. Never felt like wheel size was an issue and I have too many bits to just cast off. The indistry switch has meant I’m less likely to buy a new bike than ever.

kayla1
    Free Member

Kerley- Yes, that’s more what I meant. 29 is good at what it does if that’s what you want it to do, it was more the switch/’rediscovery’ to/of 650B that was the face-saving bit I was on about.

‘Better’ isn’t always better!

beaker

Both my bikes are 26ers. I’m going to sell the Pace as Mrs Beaker has invoked a one in one out rule and I fancy something new. The Indy Fab is a keeper though!

I hate the 650b none sense, it feels like such a manipulation of MTB’ers.

TiRed

Last Sunday I passed 40 riders in a Cyclocross race on a 26″ mountain bike to a creditable 17th/61. Everyone else was on very old school 29ers with skinny tyres 😉 . Some had the audacity to have a second bike!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Salsa think so they don’t make 26″ rigid forks anymore just wonder how long it will be till Fox/Rockshox follow suit then we will be ____ with are 26″ bikes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dobie – we’ll keep using our existing kit and remind ourselves thst it lasts a lot longer than we give it credit for

kerley
    Free Member

Why are forks such a concern?

Don’t know much about suspension forks as don’t use them but isn’t the axle to crown of a 27.5 fork just 13mm longer than 26 fork for the same travel, i.e. why can’t you just use a 27.5 fork with a 26 wheel on a 26 frame?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@kerly, thats a good question but many of our 26 bikes are straight steerer and the tapered forks wont fit

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘26 ain't dead. Cotic Rocket content’ is closed to new replies.