Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • 24hrs of Exposure. The UK 24hr solo championships.
  • epicyclo

grazedknees – Member
    results are up

Can't see them

epicyclo

Still can't see the results. What am I doing wrong?

pedro_delb
    Free Member

I didn't realise what was happening in the race overall – for sure a bunch of super fast fellas (and lasses) passed me regularly but it wasn't until i caught up with the commentary on Matt Pages twitter (twitter.com/mattpage24) that I caught up with drama of the actual championship.

Anyway enough of that I have to say that the guy marshalling at MP5 did some stint. 8 hrs staring at the tree in front of him. 8 hrs trying to sleep on the ground with a rock as a pillow and a gazillion midgies attacking him and then 8hrs resting up on his scooter with his forehead on the speedo! what a dude. Shall have to get Morvelo to knock up a UK 24hr Solo Marshall of the year top.

epicyclo

pedro_delb – Member
    …Shall have to get Morvelo to knock up a UK 24hr Solo Marshall of the year top.

Good idea. Also the guy in the sleeping bag (cocoon?) where the gravel road went sharply uphill. He was so encouraging that I felt obliged to ride hard all the way up instead of staggering off and walking like I really wanted to do.

Actually a Morvelo event T-shirt/jersey would have been nice. I'd happily pay for one as a memento of it being the first event (obviously, not the same as the winners jerseys)

dasilva
    Free Member

Yeah I'd go for a Morvelo limited edition T too.

It did strike me as a little homegrown at first that the timing was manual too for such an important event but then when you think of the economics there were less than a hundred entry fees of what £65? that is not much of a budget at all to have put on such a quality event once you've done things like hiring marques and portaloos and whatnot. Getting a timing firm in to do the electronic chip thing (and often they have manual back up anyway) would surely have pushed the entry price up considerably as there weren't 500 or so teams to offset the cost. Good call I say.

In fact I would hazard a guess that the reason it happened at all was down to certain people putting a lot of hours in 'for the love' so hats off!

Ti29er
    Free Member

A T-shirt sounds like an excellent idea.
    I'll buy two please.

As above, I'm sure the economics of this 1st race precluded the usual T-shirts inclusion; as you say, a lot of hard graft for little £ would have been the order of the day for this first one.

Next year will pay slightly better dividends but more than that, this event further builds on the branding success of the Montane Kielder 100, meaning SIP Events can perhaps expand their operations as I for one would not hesitate when booking another inaugrial event with them, such was the huge success of these last two. (where do I sign-up?)

Daveb575
    Free Member

A T-shirt would have been a good idea. Perhaps if enough of us mention it in an E-mail with our comments to the organisers it will make an appearance next year.

Have to echo the comments about the standard of the organisation on what must have been a pretty limited budget.

Also another mention for the dude at MP5. Riding for 24 hours pales into insignificance compared to his level of endurance. Even the guy in the cocoon had someone else to speak to at some points. 😆

Morvelo

Well done to all of those who made this event such a landmark and to all the riders! We'll be designing a t-shirt for all those who took part in the next week, available to buy through our online store a couple of weeks after that (www.morvelo.com/store). Once we've finished with the crayons all those that have entered will receive an email with the final design and link to buy. If you'd like to pre-register your interest then please email us at domestique@morvelo.com

Hats of to Paul and Sara at SIP events and Rory at Exposure (amoungst all the others too) who put in an extraordinary amount of effort for this race. You can tell they love this sport!

terrahawk
    Free Member

An ice cream van next year please.

Rod

Terrahawk – I'm not sure an ice cream van is a good idea… a little lad nearly crashed into me last night when trying to eat an ice cream whilst riding his bike.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Murphy's Law = icecream vendor turns up at an event and it will snow that w/end.

epicyclo

I can see the results now. Trying to work out all the SS placings. SS status is not shown in the results, so working of a photo of the board;

Single Speed Women:
    1st Jac Marquis

Single Speed Veterans:
    1st Nic Pullen
    2nd John Pitchers
    3rd Keith Adams
    4th Brian MacLeod
    5th Simon Catmur? (not shown)

Single Speed Open:
    there's only 3 SSers shown on the board photo I have, and more were added so we'll leave that for now. Anyone know the names of all the Open SS riders?

stevemakin

Single Speed women was Amy Baron Hall 1st the Jac 2nd

epicyclo

Ah, so sorry. I was dozing on my feet during the prizes.

It would be better if the organisers published the list.

Probably other mistakes there too.

njee20
    Free Member

Probably other mistakes there too.

Like Smee/Glupton/TZF whatever not being 1st by 20 laps?! How odd!

Well done to all who completed, what happened to Ian Leitch and Rob Dean, both obviously had problems early.

terrahawk
    Free Member

both Ian and Rob were still suffering from viruses. Rob's belly went bang, Ian's legs went bang.

nobber
    Free Member

The single speed results were:

1st John Hobson (open)
    2nd Julian Green (open)
    3rd Nick Pullen (vets)

Not sure of the rest, but as you say should be posted by SIP along with the rookies sub cat.

Napalm
    Free Member

Yep, I was on a ss Trek 69er & managed 11 laps with 32/19 gearing.
    John Pitchers reckons that 32/22 is the way to go next year & I agree.

Very pleased with 5th indeed for my 1st solo 24.

When can we sign up for next year?

STATO
    Free Member

Did anyone lose a multi-tool early on Saturday? Found one in the grass on the 2way stretch and would like to return it to its owner (meant to hand in on day but got left in jersey pocket when i switched kit and just found it last night, oops!)

kevonakona
    Free Member

Stato was it in a Leatherman pouch but a crank bros 19 tool? Mine is mia.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

GLupton was riding SS and had great time. So he tells me.

32:22 on a 26" bike would be the perfect way to go. Descents are of the pump like buggery and non pedalling variety.

njee20
    Free Member

32:22 on a 26" bike would be the perfect way to go

Surely gears would be an even better way to go…

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Not if you like riding singlespeed it wouldnt. I ride singlespeed simply because I like riding singlespeed. I have geared bikes but they never get used much.

ss29er
    Free Member

@napalm – good effort on the 69er, had to ride a lap on mine after a puncture on the Rig on the first lap. Super stiff frame, got absolutely battered, was glad to get back on 29" wheels!

Was slightly overgeared on 32:20, the steep climb after the start nearly broke my knees each time. Will try 32:21 for next year, I think.

Congratulations to everyone who rode, marshalled, organised and especially to all the pit crews. Couldn't have managed half as many laps without mine. See you all next year.

The_Beast
    Free Member

Sounds like a great event.

Definitely planning to do it next year.

STATO
    Free Member

Sorry kev affraid not.

nobber
    Free Member

I found the 32:17 set up on 26" wheels perfect, lucky as my EBB is shot and its been stuck on that for a couple of years now. bit like the Tardis but a lighter blue!!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Anyone else feeling sleepy still?
    I know I am!

I had a great 3hr hill-fest training ride on Thursday night locally, which I was very surprised about as I thought my legs would be dreadfully fatigued.
    Perhaps I didn't ride as hard as I think I did over the w/end and it was my mind that was content at 10 laps!

Squidward

Just got back after a week 'off-line', and am glad to see the feedback reflects the event itself: small-scale but extremely positive.

I’m in total agreement with most of comments above – what a privilege to take part in such a cracking inaugural event. The whole feel of the race was special: from the signing on in the village square, right through to the presentations, it felt throughout as if every single rider really mattered. The support from the other riders (fast or not-so-fast), the 7 stalwart marshals (who I hope got a few pints for their services come Sunday evening) and all the pit crews was just fantastic. I was too busy riding, but believe the feel around the camp through the race was really friendly and laid back, with pit crews helping out each other where necessary.

Okay, there may have been a need for a few more loos and showers, and the weather couldn’t have been any kinder, but how Sara, Paul, Richard, Rory and the rest of the team put that whole event on for the tiny budget they had to work with is just amazing. Why pay £1400 for a timing system when a £40 one worked just fine? If you wanted to know how you were doing – you only had to ask on your way past the timing tent and they’d simply tell you and encourage you to go out on another lap. The number of hours the organising team must have put in, just to make it all work, is frightening.

If the single speed events have this kind of feel, then I’m definately going to do them too. I’m so glad that SIP Events are going to run it again next year. Hopefully the inclusion of a 12hour event should see the numbers rise, but the general good feel remain the same.

Napalm
    Free Member

Entries open now for 2011 on XCRacer – I’m in again.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘24hrs of Exposure. The UK 24hr solo championships.’ is closed to new replies.