• This topic has 22 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sok.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 24hrs of Exposure…
  • chris23
    Free Member

Just over a week to go.

Who else is as under prepeared as me.

Hope it is as good as last year.

Drac

Me not done a single mile of training but I’m a dogs body so shouldn’t be a problem.

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Trying to do some panic base training but might be a bit late
    from the press release:

Last year’s 24 Hour Solo Champions Matt Page (Wiggle), Rickie Cotter, Keith Forsyth (I-Cycles) and Sally Daw are all back to try and retain their UK titles and attempt to add the new European Solo Champion jersey to their wardrobe. Once again they’ll have a fight on their hands with many of the UK’s most well known endurance riders, including Josh Ibbett, Rich Rothwell, Ant White, Rob Dean and Rob Lee determined to snatch the title from under them.

and

The new 12 hour Championship sees James Lister back racing his favoured duration but will have tough competition from many of the elite cross-country riders that are making the time-leap for the first time

So no pressure then!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Currently on holiday for a week so we all know what that means! However will kick start with the dyfi on sunday. But have just found out there’s a crack in my frame so lets hope it holds out as too late to do anything about it now.

Training only gets you so far (well for me who doesnt have time to do as much as I need), being prepared in the pit and in the head does the rest I reckon…

Looking forward to it, word is there will be a bit more ‘in the woods’ this year which should make it more fun.

Matt

chipps

Managed a decent amount of riding this spring. Then, however, the Sea Otter got in the way with zero bike riding, then I caught a chesty cough thing and haven’t been on my bike for more than a week – completely ignoring my planned ‘last hard week’ of riding. Instead of 15 hours in the last week, I’ve done about two hours of pootling.

Ah well… I’m sure my legs won’t fall off. Not sure about the head – I’m not competitive at the best of times and I’m far more likely to sit out and start drinking beer after six hours than soldier on while body parts wear out… Should be an experience.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

A 24hr rider once said to me you can’t die from tiredness so just keep going?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Your posts are all actually quite encouraging (in a sort of ‘it’s not just me then’ way!)

🙂

GaryLake
    Free Member

When I did 24/12 last year, Rob Lee crewed for me and the one thing he told me is “if you can ride 3 hours, you can ride 24”. It’s all mental, nutritional and preparation after that…

Sad not to be riding 24 hrs of exposure but cost of getting up there and having a baby put paid to that… maybe in 2012!!

Daveb575
    Free Member

Been going quite well this year. The good weather has helped with the motivation to get out and ride. Did the Builth CRC in a reasonable time the other week, so physically I am OK.

Agree with the comments above that the biggest part of 24 hour racing is mental, followed by nutrition. I am pretty new to soloing having entered two and finished one, that being the 24 hours of exposure last year. From my limited experience I would have two pieces of advice. Resist the urge to go off too fast, you can ride for 24 hours, but trying to race for 24 hours is a differnt matter and resist the urge to sleep.

Should be a cracking event if last year is anything to go by so looking forward to it.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

I’ll be there, but you know that already it says that in the press release up there 😉

My top tip is: Don’t forget to smile and enjoy it

Oh, and some more advice type stuff HERE

See you there!

trail_rat
    Free Member

enjoy it boys and girls ….

bit gutted that last year i had other objectives – that fell through due to wrong licences and me being a fanny ….. and this year ive done no where near the milage required.

oldgit
    Free Member

Trying to do some panic base training but might be a bit late

That made me chuckle.

BadlyWiredDog

Tssk, ‘panic base’ is the latest concept in endurance training. Like many modern methods it may seem counter-intuitive, but the thinking behind it, proven in several scientific studies, is that the release of panic hormones into the bloodstream during last minute training stimulates the production of red blood cells in way not dissimilar to altitude training.

To maximise the impact of panic base training, it’s crucial to minimise the hours you spend on the bike until approximately ten days before the event. From this point in, focus on the challenge ahead and a combination of fear and despair on top of successive high-mileage days will massively accelerate adaptation. However, for optimum results, it’s crucial that on the day immediately preceding the event you ride to exhaustion before stopping and tapering hard overnight.

Good luck.

BadlyWiredDog

Oh, and if it reassures anyone, I missed a massive chunk of riding over early spring, am planning on riding a fairly unsuitable bike – 12 hours – and have scheduled in a picnic stop at the halfway mark. You will be faster than me regardless….

Napalm
    Free Member

Yep, I’m in for 24 hour single-speed. Looking forward to it again in a very perverse way.

Packed up and ready to roll. See you all there.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m feeling GGrrrrrrrr but don’t have a bike.

epicyclo

I have an entry but I think I’ve pulled a muscle.

Shouldn’t have tried to “maximise the impact of panic base training” by riding my fixie around the ‘Puffer and down all the hills without using the brakes.

I’ll know tomorrow if I’m going.

postierich
    Free Member

Looking forward to it even though I’m feeling quite weak after being poorly. Looking forward to some heckling/encouraging for a. Few hours after my 12 laps/hours. See you all in a boozer Friday night

xcwanabe
    Free Member

So how did everyone get on?

Despite the weather and having to be towed out what a cracking event, glad I only did the 12hr!

didn’t think I’d say this but already planning the road trip for next years event,

Rob
    AKA the Pink Puffer
    11th 12hr open solo

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Cracking event on every level. The 24hr wasn’t that bad I didn’t think, it is worse watching the rain than riding in it.

My pit crew did some filming and I’ve edited into a video, hope you like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSu-gf92230

rickon
    Free Member

Our team captain, Huw Thomas, finished 2nd in the 12hour solo, and won the UK and European Rookie 12 hour champion jersey 🙂

Good result for Loco BM-Racing indeed.

sok

great video Matt, I’d forgotten how bad the rain was until I saw that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘24hrs of Exposure…’ is closed to new replies.