Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 24 spokes in a disc wheel (road, front) – plenty, right ?
  • scaredypants

or will I, … you know ?

(I’m 80kg when gorgeously naked, if that’s relevant)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m only a little lighter at ~78Kg and get the impression when looking at wheel upgrades over my Cube’s Racing77DBs, that 24 spokes is fine up front and probably rear too.

tomhoward

There’s 16 on mine, you’ll be fine…

vincienup
    Free Member

I’ve got 28 spokes in my CX disc wheels and they show no sign of catching fire.  Without going and counting I’m pretty sure my road disc wheelset that’s been battered round South Yorkshire’s moonscape for a couple of years is 24 and that has been fine too except that the rear popped a spoke in a misjudged un-roadie like jump. After replacing the spoke there was no further trouble. I’m a similar weight. I think you’ll be fine.

scaredypants

There’s 16 on mine, you’ll be fine…

Wow – 16 on a disc wheel ?!

tomhoward

Ah, no. Rim brakes.

Had mtb wheels with 24 spokes though. They were fine too

joebristol

I think that should be ok – I’ve got disc wheels and the front has 24 spokes. I accidentally slammed the bike through the biggest pot hole I’ve ever seen (it came out from under a van that had pulled out in front of me and which I was therefore too close to at that exact point).

The front wheel survived ok although I dinged the rear rim – it was a hard enough impact to bruise both big toes in my shoes.

For reference I think I weigh just under 80kgs at the moment. The wheels are:

MASON x HUNT 4 Season Disc Wheelset

Even though my new bike is nearly half a kilo heavier than the old one (mostly the disc brakes I think) it appears to be faster most of the one which I’m putting down to the wheels.

hatter

You should be O.K unless you are going touring.

Not all spokes are created equal either, check the manufacturers website, a heavier rim with 16 heavier guage spokes may have a higher weight limit than another wheel with more.

Brainflex

24 spokes on the front of my MTB with a 107kg rider n no issues over 2 years, you’ll be fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I ran a set of 24 spoke disc wheels on a Giant NRS for a few years of XC and trail centre use and I’m not a stick thin waif by any stretch. Yould be fine.

martymac

I have a 28 spoke disc wheel on the front of my fs ebike, all up weight can easily be 160kg if I’m going camping.

no problem at all.

not sure if that helps you like.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘24 spokes in a disc wheel (road, front) – plenty, right ?’ is closed to new replies.