Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 24" kids bike options
  • z1ppy

For my friends daughter, she’s 8 and sizing guides are suggesting a 24″ wheel size.
    Off-hand her last bike was an islabike cnoc 16 but was hardly ever used (she just wasn’t into cycling), so the expense of a Beinn 24 seems unjustified to my friend (the 16’s is being handed down to her brother, but even so…).

Only Islabike or Frog bikes seemingly offer a nice light weight rigid option, the Carrera Luna HT seem about to be the best bet price wise otherwise (Apollo tropic ‘cruiser’ is 15.4Kg!).
    Have I missed any decent bargains?

I am of the opinion he will be better of in the long run with a Islabike, but he’s struggling with this, after the 16 was left unused.

PS: This will be a ‘paths’ only bike, so suspension isn’t really needed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

According to Whyte 26″ is the new kids bike wheel size. 😆

z1ppy

:mrgreen:

Now if I was 8 again, I’d want

… only £599, bargain.

ps. Has no one bought there 8 year old (boy or girl) a bike lately?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes bigger is better FULL STOP

I was hoping on missing out 24 entirely and going to tiny 26 ers which will be like scale replicas of 29 ers on my midget children

None of that helps you but to me 24 er seems a very in betweener size to me

Ridgeback do one but not sure of the weight and it is suspension

Decent bikes though IME

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m14b159s10p8044/RIDGEBACK_Mx24_Boys_24Inch_Mountain_Bike_2013/RS_GB/24221?gclid=CK35nrPN17gCFXLLtAod1jcAhQ

screamingtree
    Free Member

Genesis do this

Pricey, not sure how it compares with the Islabikes 24 incher

z1ppy

OK, I was thinking of recommending the Carrera luna/blast over anything else around that price range, but will mention the ridgeback. It does get mentioned on her quite a lot (I did search)

I can understand what your saying about missing out the wheel size, but she’s not a big girl and they can recycle the bike down to her brother (assuming it not too pink or broken), it shouldn’t matter too much

EDIT: Wow that Genesis is stunning, and they even bother to do a geo chart! Tad expensive for a “round the park” kinda bike though.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte 401 kids bike.

z1ppy

I knew which one you were talking about… it is very nice, but not what she needs (…what I would have wanted, instead of hand me down rubbish I put up with, no wonder I gave up cycling when I was 16)

hammyuk
    Free Member

My eldest has grown out of her girls 24″
    Girls specific frame in a fresh green powdercoat, most parts are new has 24″ specific suspension forks and the original rigids in green.
    The youngster is going straight into a XS Kona so missing this one out.
    £100 all in 😉

z1ppy

Hammy by all means drop me some details/pictures (email in my profile) & I’ll pass them on to my friend

dc2.0

We’ve had all the islabikes from balance to 20″ but I saw 24″ as an interim size. Bought a 24″ carrera blast which is same as luna but green. Put some mosso short rigid 26″ forks on and it’s been great. Got about 10 months out of it before getting onto 14″ inbred.

MoreCashThanDash

If she is not riding much, get her a second hand Hotrock/Trek/Luna/Ridgeback. All been fine for my two. If it’s not being used, new costs just aren’t worth it.

jturn71

I am also thinking of missing out the 24ers for my 7 & 8.5 yr old girls. They currently ride 20″ Carrera Lunas but they are now too big for them. I’m just thinking if i can make them last this year i’ll get them 26ers next year. They had a go on some 24″ Carreras in Halfords recently & they seemed to be a perfect fit but I just know they’ll be too small within 2 years as they are both tall. Problem is I don’t think they’ll ride them enough to justify dropping nearly £700 on 2 Islabikes. Think I’ll see what i can find 2nd hand.

marczr
    Free Member

Although the Islabikes are expensive you do seem to be able to get around 80% back when you sell them, as long as they aren’t trashed, so it would probably work out cheaper.
    My Eldest is just coming up on 10 and I’ve recently put him together a 14″ rigid kona explosif on 26″ rims. TBH, if I could source any decently priced 24″ disc wheels [ not HD jump ones ] I’d swap them out for now as it would give him a bit extra stand over height and a lot more confidence off road, but for cycle paths etc it’s great.
    My little’un is 7 and is currently on a 16″ rim Islabike CNOC, way too small for him, looking for a 24″ [ rigid ] mtb for him now, not an easy thing to find, on a tight budget.

Legoman
    Free Member

Hammy – if Z1ppy isn’t interested, drop me some pics to thedrurys11 at gmaildotcom.
    Cheers.

jkomo

Remind your friend, buy a second hand beinn 24 now, hand it down in a couple of years, then sell it for what you paid.
    Cheapest bike bar non.
    Gotta look after it mind.
    Jesus, it’s probably helli taping.

jkomo

(worth helitaping) you get the idea.

iainc

Islabikes here in various sizes and also hoped to miss the 24. However 10 yr old is happy on Beinn 26 small and 7 yr old was out of his 20 large. We looked at the frog but the Beinn 24 is much lighter, so bought one 6 weeks ago. He loves it and it has brought his riding on a lot, such that he can just about nail his big bro 🙂

This will be the first Islabike that has only been ridden by one of them, so we won’t get quite the same value for money, but even still, glad we got it.

discoduck
    Free Member

I bought my son a cube 20″ bike when he was 4 and he rode it a fair bit, definately got his money’s worth and I sold it for over half what I paid for it when done on eBay he’s now 8

So when he out grew it I considered a 26″ bike that he could grow into, ONLY whilst out riding the Blue at Sherwood Pines with the Mrs & son we noticed another family out riding and their son was on a 26″ bike wobbling about everywhere, Dad was giving it maximum breasting his lad whilst I was trying my level best to out trick the Dad manualing and generally showing off !

My son was on his BMX so was struggling a bit but when he got to the Berms he threw the gauntlet down and this kid on the 26″ wheeled thing responded, unfortunately he ended up feet off the pedals and mashed up on the stem, ball sack cut open and screaming like a banshee !

It was horrible !

Long story short, get one that fits
    That scared the shit out of me and I went online and ordered a 24″ cube team that day !

He was clearly unsteady on the bike, dad was trying his best to tell him bigger bikes are best but his Mum knew different and so did the kid half wy round the blue ?

LD
    Free Member

The only option I found to rival Islabikes, which is not really for the OP due to same price as Isla, is an Orbea MX24 Team. Lovely light 1×10 rigid bike that looks like a real MTB. Sons had one for 4 months now (he’s nearly 8 ) and loves it and does loads of good stuff on it. 1×10 is a great option at this stage IMHO.
    Edited to stop my age 8) becoming a smiley!!

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

For the sake of £50 we bought our wee 5yr old laddy a Ridge MX16 instead of the Cnoc16. I had to replace the freewheel immediately because the gearing is savage for flat, never mind hills (he loves MTBn) – still feel the chainring is too big and he’s got sturdy legs. He also destroyed the pedals on berms and bails in the first month. That’s the £50 saving more or less lost already.

Got his older sis an Islabikes Beinn20 which weighs the same, is third hand (was neglected by the second owner) and still runs great. I know that not only will puppydo666 inherit this in working condition but expect their cousins can become 5th generation abusers in good time and can probably go on to sell it for not much less than I paid. I challenge you to find an Isla in any condition for less than 2/3 retail.

Another idea I saw recommended (here, I think) is to get an Inbred 14″ and bang 24″ wheels until kid grows proper legs. Works if you have a well-stocked parts bin to delve into. Probably not great for 8 unless she’s pretty big though. My 7yr old is only just big enough for the small 20!

The Orbea looks very nice. Anyone else notice the chain droops?

LD
    Free Member

Chain droops in pictures online, OK in reality.
    My only concern is chain angles at cassette limits due to shorter wheelbase than full size bike. Time will tell.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Just bought my girlfriends 7yo a Hotrock 24. Seems to be a cracking little bike for the money with decent kit. He loves it and can now ride for much longer and at a decent pace! Hotrocks also hold their value very well.

Ashley
    Free Member

My Daughter has a 24″ Trek which we got 2nd hand and has lasted her well for 18 months, but her new Orange Diva frame should be turning up today which I am building up with bits from my son’s old bike.

If you can get good 2nd hand, then those years they do have massive growth spurts it makes sense to still get a bike that is comfortable and safe to ride.

Hopefully when I sell the Trek in a few weeks time, I will only lose a very small amount on what I paid for in the first place. It’s all well looked after and then well worth it.

z1ppy

Cheers for the replies, as I say, I do recommend the Islabike option myself.
    The fact that it’s a light bike will/should only encourage her to ride more & they should be able to pass it down to her brother, as per the previous CNOC. This added to the resale values, makes it a winner for me.
    2nd hand would no doubt be the real answer to a cheap and cheerful solution but I can’t see him going for this.
    I’ve passed on all the info, and he’s going to make a decision.
    Not heard anything from Hammy, and he’s got no contact details..

neninja
    Free Member

Got my son an Orbea MX24 Team in May 2012 for his 8th birthday. It’s not like a kids bike but more a 24″ proper XC race bike.

10 speed Deore shifters and mech with an 11-36 SLX cassette. Lots of nice machined details like the bash guard etc. Light wheels with alloy hubs etc.

He loves it. We’ve done 30km rides together and he’s never complained about being tired. I think the lightweight and wide range on the 11-36 cassette really helps. He’s moaned about not having a suspension fork like his friends but only because he likes the look of them.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘24" kids bike options’ is closed to new replies.