Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 24 inch wheels and rims
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

I have 24 inch bikes for my kids but wish to change the wheels – happy to build myself if needed. However i cannot find decent rims at this size most seem to be for BMX/ jump bikes and therefore heavy or wide.
    I have seen some on tarty bikes*
    Anyone any other sources as to where i can get any?
    My google fu is weak

I have looked on ebay and some [ disc] wheelsets weigh 2.5 kg for just the wheels without disc, cassette or tyre. Trying to loose at least a hint of weight in the whole process.

* they sell spokes so this should not be an issue in any build.

gonzy
    Free Member

unfortunately the majority of bikes that come in the 24″ variety use rubbish standard rims as built at the factory.
    any rims in this size usually cater for the dirt jump scene so the rims are always overbuilt for strength and durability
    most i can see are over 500g per rim
    the lightest i can find is this one….sun envy rims – just under 400g per rim
    All

xiphon
    Free Member

Look for cruiser race rims

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    smurf
    Free Member

Try ebay for 32h Alienation Deviant rims – they might come in 24″. I managed to get a pair of 20″ rims for about £69 delivered and they are wide, disc brake specific, black, and 330g a rim. Just had them built up by Cycle Fast in Halifax – £20 a wheel plus spokes. Total weight for hubs, rims, spokes (minus rim tape) is 1,442g for the pair (they are using hubs though, which I plan to move onto the next wheelset).

Watch for the rims using 36h or more – not that useful with “standard” MTB hubs.

You can get ZTR rims in 24″ – Just Riding along sell them for example. They aren’t cheap though (although probably the lightest you’ll find)

If you email me (details in profile) I’ll send you a summary of 20″ and 24″ tyres (models, weight etc) I picked up off the web somewhere.

Hope that helps

Junkyard
    Free Member

this one is 458 grams and only £25 but it is a drilled

Thanks for the info so it is as dire as I thought. Think i will remove current rims and weigh them before acting as i will be spending about £100 per wheelset to make deore level 24 inch wheels and building my self – i reckon they will weigh circa 1700-1800 grams assuming 32 spokes weigh 100 grams

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_rims/onza_zoot_front/c43p12280.html

Smurf I will mail you and ta

smurf
    Free Member

Based on me weighing the rims and hubs before posting them off, and then the built wheels, the spokes weigh 186g per wheel (32 spokes, plain gauge).

I didn’t want to spend a lot on the spokes because they won’t be carried forward into other builds like the hubs and most of the other parts will be.

I’ve noticed that my earlier post is missing a word – should read “Total weight for hubs, rims, spokes (minus rim tape) is 1,442g for the pair (they are using GOOD hubs though, which I plan to move onto the next wheelset)”.

slugwash
    Free Member

Airnimal Rims are up to the job….

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes my plan was to either buy some cheap deore – about £30 a set or donate some Hope ones weight dif is only about 75 grams though.

Speshpaul

I’ve got a sun singletrack on giant front disc. I’m away at the mo but can dig it out on Friday, wouldn’t be much.

Junkyard
    Free Member

WEIGHT 😉

Drop me an e-mail when you are back but rough weight is important!!

gonzy
    Free Member

JY the other way to reduce the weight is to use lightweight hubs but to do that you’ll probably end up spending more than you’d really want to…unless you can get some cheap second hand bargains
    you’d also need to factor in the weight of the tubes and tyres…most generic lightweight tyres for this size are pretty rubbish…the better tyres are usually made for the same dirt jump scene which will add weight. buying even lighter tyres that are good and not for jumping will again cost you more…
    if you’re not bothered about tyre weight…i have 3 x 24″ tyres still in the shed going cheap

Junkyard
    Free Member

I just hoped that a decent 24 ” bike could weigh roughly the same as mine – both are sub 30 lb but only just.
    I have some old Sids for them that will reduce weight but the wheel weights of bought sets really shocked me – 2.5 kg !!!
    Tyres seem ok ish 680g from CRC so not great but not terrible either

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-explorer-mtb-tyre/rp-prod18894

the 24 weigh more than the 26 🙄

Again what weight are the tyres?

Oh lord i have become a weight weenie …hangs head in shame

Re weigth i have to buy for two bikes and there comes a point where you are spending £200 + on two sets for only an okish set you think …what is the point. As others note iti is not like I can use them for years as they will be outgrown.

gonzy
    Free Member

the 24 weigh more than the 26

Again what weight are the tyres?

from my experience of running 24″ wheels and tyres….the tyres are heavier due to a more durable construction due to the general nature if what they’re being used for…same as the rims
    they weigh more but are normally very bombproof
    plus some do get used for more than what they are originally intended…i.e. jump tyres being used as general all round trail tyres…in the way that you’re planing on doing so
    also the weight of the tyre for a dirt jumper is not a big priority especially when you look at most 24″ jump bikes…most have no brakes or only one brake and most are single speed…by losing this excess weight they can afford to run a heavier tyre without compromising the overall weight of the bike

Marge
    Free Member
    Stevet1
    Free Member

I run Schwalbe tabletops on my 24″ jump / race track bike. They are light at 540 gr, and offer good grip on gravel surfaces. Would be rubbish in mud though.

smurf
    Free Member

Inner tubes and tyres offer some of the biggest weight loss in my case.

All of my numbers are for a 20″ wheel full sus bike for my oldest daughter, but they will give you some idea.

– Previous wheel set; including tyres, skewers, cassette etc – 3,630g
    – New wheel set; including lighter parts – 2,641g (28% saving)

New build includes Intense Racing tubes sourced from the US and brought back by a friend (over 120g saving for the pair), folding Schwalbe Mow Joe tyres 20″ x 1.85″ which are 640g for the pair, saving 610g! (£20 from ebay but hard to find).

I’ve shaved a bit more off with the hubs, rims and cassette (XT from the spares box in my case) but the majority of the weight saving from the entire wheelset has been the tyres and tubes, and at minimal cost.

Try to find folding tyres though – they are c.100g lighter per tyre in some cases (vs. wired).

For context, I wanted disc brakes (I’ve some Avid Juicy 7’s I can reuse) and I started with a clapped out, ebay bargain of a bike, from which I only wanted the frame, so my build / budget might be different to yours. It’s also taken months to acquire all of the bits as I’ve tried to use ebay / STW as much as possible.

The other things I suggest you look at are:

– Bars – mint Easton Monkeylite SL ($25 from ebay US – look for 25.4mm bars as no one wants them anymore) – over 60% lighter than the original
    – Stem – KCNC flyride stem (c.£20) – 50% of the weight of the original
    – New rear mech (X9 off ebay) – 50% of the weight of the original (might need new shifter and cassette though)
    – Seat post – 1/3 of the original weight

Hope that helps.

Marge
    Free Member
    smurf
    Free Member

Check this thread out – http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/best-20-24-tires-trail-riding-932022.html

And this thread – http://forums.mtbr.com/families-riding-kids/20-tire-recommendations-alternatives-mow-joes-789480.html

This last one contains the summary I was going to email you. It’s quite old now but is the best list I’ve seen on my travels around the internet.

MTBR has an active family section with LOTS of good advice and info.

smurf

Junkyard
    Free Member

smurf I got some carbon 25.4 mm bars from wiggle for £18 !!! last year
    I have used carbon seat posts and cut them off so will also swap them over
    Bought 63 mm travel SIDs which [ with sag are the same A-C as original forks and weigh only 3 lb.
    Nice advice re tubes as I had never thought of that – I have toyed with tubless though to save weight
    Its just the bloody wheels i have to do now and there seems no cheapish way of doing it and I may just have to bite the bullet and pay some proper money.

I will get round to reading those links and ta

poah
    Free Member

you can get a set of stan crests in 24 inch size now.

I got lewis a set of alex ace 20 rims that weight around 400g laced to a set of superstar switch evo with DB spokes. about 1700g

blog article here

Junkyard
    Free Member

poah – importer details please as not on your blog

poah
    Free Member

Alexrims European Office

Tel: +49 151 23433124
    e-mail: hendrik.tafel@alexrims.com.tw

smurf
    Free Member

Junkyard – what frame are you using? I need to start looking for a 24″ wheel bike before too long!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘24 inch wheels and rims’ is closed to new replies.