Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 24 Inch Rear Wheel 135mm QR
  • birdage

I’m building up a bike for my daughter and struggling to find a rear wheel in 24 inch disc, QR, 10 speed, 135mm flavour. Silver if possible!
    I got one built a long time ago but was hoping to find something half decent ready-built? Any ideas where I might try?
    It might end up as a mini mullet!

Tracey

Ebay is probably the best place but you may have to buy a pair

birdage

Thanks that’s a good call but ideally looking for just the rear wheel otherwise I start getting close to the realisation that it would have been easier and cheaper (but less fun) to buy a 24 inch wheeled mtb!

BearBack
    Free Member

ask superstar for just a rear?
    I’d assume they build to order
    Also, Vpace just announced a ‘budget’ set of 24 wheels
    https://www.vpace.de/produkt/vpace-sl-wtb-kinder-laufraeder/
    I imagine these are less likely to be built to order though so perhaps not able to be split…
    You dont ask you dont get 🙂

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Went through this last year – ended up buying rims and building onto an existing hope pro 2 I had.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I also started a very similar thread. Ended up with a Shimano hub from eBay and a rim from condor cycles. I’ve not actually taken it into DCR for a build yet, but will do.

birdage

Ha! I think you’re local to me. Was also thinking of going to DCR, have they quoted for a build? Thing is she might be on 27.5s in 18 months so don’t want to go too crazy now! The Vpace look interesting but imagine they’d be hit with import charges? Whatever they are now?

Daffy

I built a set for my Son’s bike over Christmas – Novatec Hubs from China £51, Stans Crest 24 rims on clearance £62 (pair), Sapim D-Light spokes £60 (they’re bloody difficult to find in small sizes) with Sapim Polyax nipples (free as I had them already) £173 and they’re 1.2kg with valves and skewers, or 0.8kg lighter than his original wheels. He’s SOO much faster on them, especially uphill, but also goes further (40km now rather than 30km) before getting too tired.

If I’d gone for cheaper spokes, I’d have saved at least £40, but I wanted them light.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thing is she might be on 27.5s in 18 months so don’t want to go too crazy now! 

Is there clearance to do this this now? Both ends and sell the current front?

bentudder

I built up cheap Shimano hubs with drilled out trials rims from tartybikes. Not devastatingly light like Daffy’s (wow – impressive!), but they work fine and are on their second udderlet now. Only downer is that the holes make it difficult to set up tubeless. I’m sure it’s doable, just a bit of a faff, especially as the oldest one has quickly made the transition to 26″

birdage

Yep Daffy that is super impressive! Knocked off some weight with carbon forks instead of the Recons as they’re overkill for around here so willing to give a little on the wheelset. Edging towards a mini mullet anyway as I ride a Jones Mullet and it works for me!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘24 Inch Rear Wheel 135mm QR’ is closed to new replies.