Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 24 inch light on tubeless rims for kids CX
  • scruffythefirst
    Free Member

The answer is Stans crest but Raleigh (the UK importer) say not in the UK. Any alternatives? I want to build a Lauth 24 pro replica out of a standard lauth for my eldest to race CX on.

Garry_Lager

What age group is your child? I’m always surprised to see v small kids racing U10 and U12 on 700c wheels – they can smash cross laps on them. I think because the courses are so simple at that age that a big bike is not a problem.

Appreciate this doesn’t answer your question – it sounds like a great project but 24 wheels is a narrow target for growing kids.

alan1977
    Free Member

i think superstar components make kids wheels

i made the mistake of bying a set of halo wheels for my lads bike.. of course.. 24″ wheels are bmw/jumpbike wheels and tough as nails…

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

What age group is your child?

She’s 6, so racing U8G at the moment. She won’t fit a 700c bike this year or likely next. Hupp frames are £500+, although you can build them up with 650b wheels and flat bars and they can be rebuilt with drops\700c. She will also need a new MTB soon and I don’t know if she’ll be racing in 2 years time so cost is an issue.

Will check the links thanks.

alan1977
    Free Member

these kids bikes are awesome… hadnt heard of hupp before (looking at getting my 11yo on something bigger and lighter)

bigginge

Double post

bigginge

The Kinlin TL-21 comes in at 380g in the 24” size.

TL-21

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s116p4025/KINLIN-TL-21

luket

I’ve got a set of 24″ Crests on superstar hubs (QR). Seem pretty light and in good nick. Bought them intending to put a 24″ bike together (mtb) for my lad but I’ve ended up buying him a full bike, and it’s boost spacing.

Drop me a pm if you’d like to buy them – I should get on with selling them really.

Northwind

Halo T2 isn’t tubeless- like anything it can be made tubeless but it’s a pretty bad rim shape for it.

cookeaa

Dunno if these Islabikes 24″ CX TR tyres are news to you but could be an option…

When I build my eldest a 24″ MTB up I built up a pair of these: Condor 24″ rims they’re pretty good for the price, nice and tough and built up easily, not sold as TR though I’m sure they could be taped.

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Those islabike tyres or schwalbe CX pro are about the only options for CX in 24, unless you go with a dry tyre like a small block8.

Tl-21 look like a decent value option but spa only have them in 32h 🙈

Anyone bought from Germany through Ginko-veloteile

@luket
    sent you a pm

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m always surprised to see v small kids racing U10 and U12 on 700c wheels – they can smash cross laps on them. I think because the courses are so simple at that age that a big bike is not a problem

Also the geo on thr likes of HUPP and Forme Calver Jnr Pro frames are totally sorted, they’re basically sat in the wheels if you know what I mean, so a mega low COG and somewhat banzai cornering speeds, plus the ability to run 700c tubeless tyres at well under a bar helps.

benpinnick

The answer is stans crest on DT CL 350s with lightweight spokes. I know this as I’m building some for my jnr and I have the hubs sitting on my desk awaiting the rims in stock. PM me if you want a set. Rims available end of the month.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.