Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 24 hrs – How many calories?
  • richpips
    Free Member

I’m planning a hilly 24 hour ride and trying to get my head round how much food to carry.

I’ve done a few 24 hr races though haven’t a clue how much I actually ate.

Some stuff I’ve read suggest 250-300 calories / hour.

Thoughts?

GavinB

I measured it a few years ago, whilst doing 24/12 solo, and according to my Polar HRM, burnt around 24,500kcal in just under 25 hrs.

So, for me, roughly 1,000 kcal/h.

richpips
    Free Member

Strava tells me I used 7000 cals in a 24hr, and 4000 in a different 9hr ride. ❓

brakes
    Free Member

on a recent 6 hour ride, Strava told me I’d burnt 4,300 calories whilst Garmin told me 2,800.
    the data uploaded to both was the same.

GregMay
    Free Member

Rich!

Break it down to g of CHO/hour. It’s easier to figure out. This is also the limiter to what you can ingest at a GI level.

Pop me a mail and I can answer a bit more 🙂 Not going to be on the forum much while on Holiday!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Have a read of this. Probably not that relevant but quite interesting

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12942597

cp

The driver will actually be how much your body can actually digest rather than how many calories you’ll use. You can’t absorb calories at anything like the rate you can use them. Try to consume what you are using and you’ll feel horrible. Its a fine balance and you really need to experiment a lot in training to see how much you can actually eat whilst exercising.

richpips
    Free Member

Break it down to g of CHO/hour. It’s easier to figure out. This is also the limiter to what you can ingest at a GI level.

Thanks Greg.

@davidtaylforth Interesting reading.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘24 hrs – How many calories?’ is closed to new replies.