Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 24 hour racing – what's your tips and tricks
  • rooney
    Free Member

Entered a 24 hour race and after some tips and tricks. Training, equipment, pit crews, nutrition.

I already have a good base from different endurance training but looking at specifics of a 24 hour mtb event.
    Cheers

akira

Force yourself to eat properly even if you font feel like it.

vertebratetom

1) I always make it my aim to have fun, rather than do well.
    2) And keep eating. You can keep riding forever if you keep eating.
    3) If you want to do well, don’t stop. I mean, do stop, but if you’re not fixing yourself or your bike, get going again. All you’re doing by sitting around is making it hard to get going again.
    4) Expect a few rubbish patches. Don’t worry about them, it gets better.
    5) Don’t race the team riders too often (can help 1) though).
    6) Everyone will tell you something along the lines of ‘start slow and get slower’. In my experience, this just means that you’ll spent the first lap queuing in singletrack and then struggle to get going.

Mainly, just focus on having fun. I’ve been well down the field, having a great time and ended up on the podium when people ahead of me have dropped out. On the other hand, I’ve dropped out from decent placings when my head’s not been in it.

c_klein87

your core strength is very important, do pressups, crunches etc etc, so important come 12hrs when you’re not aching to death

don’t stop for too long

don’t get caught up with racers keen to only last 8hrs before blowing

don’t carry more spares than you’d need for a week in the alps, race light

vertebratetom

???? And listen to Chris. He’s not slow.

epicyclo

Survival techniques rather than race winning: 🙂

Stay awake. That “quick rest” will power you down and it’s hard to get moving again.
    Stay warm. If you’re going to stop chuck a dressing gown on to preserve your body temp.
    Eat wisely. There isn’t enough food in your body to do a 24 hour effectively, so eat food you can digest quickly.
    Drink regularly. I use water bottles to keep track.
    If self supported use the simplest bike possible. It’s faster in the end.
    Don’t expect a worn drivetrain or brakes to last what is effectively 12 XC rounds nonstop.

And last:

Do not stop if at all possible. Keep moving forward at all costs.
    You can still walk or crawl on bleeding knees if you’re knackered. Save the self-pity for later.
    If you can do that for 24 hours, then no matter how badly you think you have done, you will beat riders you thought were fitter and faster than you. The race is lost in the pits.

colin9

What food do you guys eat?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Food- eat what your body is asking for. If you have a vast pot of pasta that you’re forcing down a mouthful at a time and your body is screaming out for a bacon roll it’d eat in one bite you’re going to be eating less. Less eating means less energy, which is bad. Pasta, bananas, Haribo, flapjack etc are all good things to have but bring tasty things you think you’ll enjoy eating too.

Strategy- If you’re not racing solo figure out what length of stint works for you. One lap on then one off worked well for me and my race partner, with a stint of 2, or in the case of the Strathpuffer 3, laps between midnight and 5 or 6am to give each other a chance to rest.

Rest- get lots if you’re not soloing. Don’t do things between stints, other than eating as soon as you get in and getting changed, unless you have to.

Kit- mudguards are useful if the forecast is poor. Take every bit of cycling kit you own. The morale boost from dry kit is enormous. Use glasses if it’s wet- I have seen on guy I race with ruin his eyes not wearing glasses in the wet. Similarly make sure your saddle is in the right place- my race partner shut his gentleman parts down for 3 months by racing Relentless with his saddle pointing slightly up!

Bike- Service it before hand, make sure everything is in perfect order before you go. Take spare brake pads, chain, cables, powerlinks etc.

sarpullido
    Free Member

Apart from bars, gels and powder I have a selection of 2 or 3 different types of fruit in small pieces. Nesquick and powder milk, soreen malt loaf, rice pudding, cooked pasta with only extra virgin olive oil and then the salty stuff, smoked salmon, Spanish ham and a mix of salty nuts. Maybe some haribo? Can’t remember now.
    I’ve done only one 24h solo with no helpers. I prepared a selection of spare clothes for the night and for rain. Any time I stopped for longer than grabbing a bottle I took off my shoes. Don’t forget to use chamois cream. I use Assos and works fine. Also had a little carpet.
    The months before race I was doing plenty of bouldering to help get a stronger core. Plenty of sleep the week of the race. Arrive with plenty of time to the venue.

c_klein87

i ate 31 torq gels, mixture of normal and a few caffeine, few torq bars, 1 tin of raviloi warmed up, brazil nuts, and drank 2 x torq recovery shakes at around 10 and 20hrs. i’ve stopped eating sweets and stuff now as they make me a bit sicky, had a few clif blocks tho. i’d do the recovery shakes again, i think that worked well! not tried repeating any of this theory yet though, took me 6 months to recover

amedias
    Free Member

If you are Solo’ing don’t underestimate the importance of support, not just physical but moral, it’s far to easy to give up when it gets hard (says the serial quitter) but so much easier if you have someone to bully/help you keep going.

I still remember a Bontrager 24/12 a few years ago when I was camped next to a guy who had (mboy from here I think?) an awesome mechanic/friend supporting him, who practically dragged him round the last few laps as moral support, despite the tears rolling down his face and practically falling asleep on the saddle, when he finished he curled up into a ball and fell asleep while we all cleared up and packed away around him, but he finished, when many others didn’t and I think his support was as much to do with it as his own determination.

also, eat! 🙂

Kryton57

If its not too shitty, you can lick the bottom of Cliff shots and stick them in a neat little line along your TT for later consumption.

rooney
    Free Member

rooney
    Free Member

rooney
    Free Member

I pad playing up!

Cheers folks some good stuff….

I’m not looking to compete just complete ….it’s more a fun challenge Iv set myself
    I’m not a serious mtb…. Only really go out over winter with friends for fun and some different training. Looking at changing my training to incorporate more mtb to get better handling skills.
    Was thinking of changing my 4-5 hour road ride on Saturday to a 4-5 hour mtb ride with one more mtb session in the week. I’ll still keep my other training the same.

Is it worth having 2 bikes similar set ups ?
    Full Sus better than hard tail? Current mtb giant 29 anthem …. Love this bike ….

Any other training advice ?

Kryton57

Is it worth having 2 bikes similar set ups ?
    Full Sus better than hard tail? Current mtb giant 29 anthem …. Love this bike ….

I’m wondering the same after having some clearance issues with my Anthem last weekend, albeit in very specific circumstance. I’m going with skinner tyres (to the Bonty 24/12), and thinking either spare wheels with Beavers, or the 26″HT ready to go with muds on to circumnavigate the linkages bunging up with mud issue, but not sure which.

amedias
    Free Member

For Bontrager 24/12 I normally start on a rigid single speed (it’s a Bontrager, so I have to!), and will do 4-6 laps on that, then I normally swap to a 1×10 short travel full suss for comfort.

If it’s bone dry Newnham can be quite buzzy/bumpy and the squish helps, although it’s not technical enough to need it as everything is ridable on rigid or hardtail so it’s all about comfort and reducing fatigue really.

These things can be very course dependant though, which race is it you’ve entered Rooney?

beej

If its not too shitty, you can lick the bottom of Cliff shots and stick them in a neat little line along your TT for later consumption.

My mate does that for 25 mile TTs. Must be working, he’s done a 52.xx

Oh, I found Torq recovery shakes good too – I’ve only done 12 hours but one of those after 6 was good, a bit more solid than just energy drink.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I started doing 12 hours on a hardtail but upgraded to an Anthem X when I started doing 24s. Full sus will always be the choice for me- it tires you out less and compensates for some of your mistakes.

I’ve never had any clearance issues with it, ever. I used to run 2.1 tyres then 2.25s.

A spare bike is always worth having, even if you never use it.

Kryton57

munrobiker – Member
    I started doing 12 hours on a hardtail but upgraded to an Anthem X when I started doing 24s. Full sus will always be the choice for me- it tires you out less and compensates for some of your mistakes.

That was my original justification for the Anthem purchase about a month after last years Bonty 🙂

I’ve never had any clearance issues with it, ever. I used to run 2.1 tyres then 2.25s.

Yes I think my thread addressing the issue points to it being a very unique set of circumstances.

Kryton57

A spare bike is always worth having, even if you never use it.

Bugger, I think you’ve just cost me 5mpg down to Plymton as I’ll now need the Box on the roof with tent & soft stuff in, and 2 bikes in the boot.

will
    Free Member

The past two Mountain Mayhem’s were both Solo for me, 2014 without a support crew, 2015 with one. 2014 I was 10th, 2015 I was 7th. A support crew make a huge difference!

I ate every lap, changed bottles every lap and broke the race into 3 8 hour segments. Also told myself at the start I would not stop or sleep, if you say that at the start, chances are you wont.

I wrote a blog this year and last, which you might be interested in: http://ridingcircle.blogspot.com/2015/06/race-report-2015-mountain-mayhem.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find 5 mates
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rznGWh]The Setup[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rRA5ko]And the hillbilly is over time to head up the road[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

rooney
    Free Member

Races – well it was Relentless but now also Strathpuffer too

rooney
    Free Member

rooney
    Free Member

We have 9 solo entries for the puffer from our tri club !

I’m currently having injury issues but hope to be back on bike in next week after 4 weeks no training – the mtb maybe another couple of weeks as its a bad back thsts the issue – although Physio says mtb possibly better due to riding position

munrobiker
    Free Member

The Puffer is a different one. You need to be mentally prepared just as much, if not moreso, than physically. You have to be prepared to be cold, wet, damp, uncomfortable and in the dark. Borrow lights. Borrow sealskinz. Borrow waterproofs, and waterproof shorts, warm gloves, shoes etc. The more kit you have the better. Keep warm, keep dry. Use mudguards. Borrow ice spiker tyres. A support crew is a must for this one if you want to do more than just survive.

Relentless and the Puffer are the best 24 hour races in the country, enjoy them. I love them both, but for different reasons. The Puffer is the ultimate challenge but Relentless is just great fun- serious trails for a 24, serious climbing but not claggy mud like a lot of the English races. And there’s a proper cafe building and toilets.

My biggest tip for them both is change wet kit when you stop- getting so cold you don’t know what to do and can’t rest properly can be the end of your race if you aren’t careful.

rooney
    Free Member

Any thoughts on if I should (I want and recently sold a bike so it needs replaced 🙂 ) buy a spare bike and what type? Nothing to expensive…. I’m thinking I coud train on both but during winter use the spare rather than trash anthem? Can get a nice cove handjob recently done up for £500? Is a hardtail better or would another full Sus be better with more suspension? Cademuir/Glentress is my backyard and where most of my training will be.

Clover

I did Glentress 7 solo and Mountain Mayhem pairs on my Ibis Tranny – it’s a hardtail but comfy and with a dropper. By the end of the GT7 I was a bit achey in my arms and shoulders but Mayhem was completely fine, it’s not a technical course. I decided to go as light as I could as I thought that would help with fatigue – in my case it was a good call and I was on both podiums.

Blog if you’re interested… the main message for you is don’t eat quiche.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Not sure I can offer tips as such, more stuff that I’ve learnt NOT to do!

Done two MM24s solo and what I’ve learnt is:

1. Get support. I’ve done both unsupported and even being ‘quick’, you lose lots of time in the pits. Plus packing up after the race is pretty depressing!

2. Train appropriately. My training consisted of max 2-3 HR rides due time constraints. On both races my knees and back were my weak points and I might have learnt a way to combat this if I’d done longer rides.

3. Bring a spare bike. I did, and changed at 14h on my recent race. It just changed the painful areas and gave me a psychological boost, plus you’re not worried if something goes wrong.

4. Don’t take Cornish pasties. Just don’t. Trying one cold at 2am is horrific. However in last month’s race, a bacon cheeseburger at 4am was literally a lifesaver.

5. Pace yourself. I went much better this year by riding at a painfully slow pace to start with. Let the quick boys and girls blast past as they’re in a different race. You’re just there to finish and survive!

6. Don’t believe the rider you come across on the last lap, who’s on the same lap as you, when he says he’s going out for another lap beyond 24h. I did and he didn’t……

7. Enjoy it. Not sure how, but it is possible.

8. Raise money for charity. It’s a great motivator and I’ve raised 2k over 2 years for stuff that means a lot to me.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘24 hour racing – what's your tips and tricks’ is closed to new replies.