Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 24 hour races/events
  • SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I’m toying with the idea of having a crack at a solo 24 hour event next year. Happy to hear others experiences, pros, cons etc. and which events may best suit me.
    I’ve taken up this sport/activity much too late in life to excel at shorter (or longer) races, but being more of an endurance animal and one that occasionaly likes a big challenge maybe this would be worth a go.
    I did the Gisburn 12 hour and Keilder 100 last year and managed them ok and I seem to be getting used to being on the bike more now, though technically theres plenty of room for improvement.

So, what events are the best/most suitable, how soon do I need to enter, and what advice (other than lots of time on bike) can you give for preparation?

PS I think just by posting this I’m more or less committing myself to it. 😯

xcwanabe
    Free Member

Choices:

24 solo (same guys that run the kielder 100)24/12 hr soloist only,youngster in only it’s 2nd year great trails can get a bit lonely, cracking event growing in stature Mid May Newcastleton Scotland

OSMM – biggest and oldest 24 hr event, teams and soloist, dull course, but lots of friendly faces mid june(close to mid summers day) Eastnor, Ledbury, Herefordshire

Twentyfour12 – MY favourite event, in sixth year, teams and soloists 12 and 24hrs great trails, great atmosphere, more competitive feel than OSMM, slick organisations (again Kielder qoo guys have a hand in setting up) End Jul Newnham park Plymouth.

These are the ones I’ve competed in though never 24hrs. I’ve 12 hr soloed “24 solo” and Twentyfour12(X2) and raced OSMM as a team 3 times.

Which ever one you choose the course will be the least of your concerns the main battle will be with the demons within!

mrlugz
    Free Member

24 solo (same guys that run the kielder 100)24/12 hr soloist only,youngster in only it’s 2nd year great trails can get a bit lonely, cracking event growing in stature Mid May Newcastleton Scotland

Did that this year. Was tough mentally and physically.

Only managed 10 laps but loved it. Will be back next year aiming for at least 12. I did find myself on me jack on several occassions after the 12 had finished, but there was always someone not far away to have a bit craic with, and I’ll never forget the sight of a gorilla playing the drums in the pi**ing rain in the middle of the night in the middle of a forest.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grtdkad

Just enter and get on with it – but i reckon youre there anyway if youve done Kielder and Gisburn.
    Like yourself I only discovered such things relatively recently and wish I was half the age but still enjoy the challenge.
    Looking to do my 7th Mayhem in 2012 (great atmosphere IMO) and also planning to add the 24hrs Exposure at Newcastleton and Sleepless in my diary for the year.

You need to be fairly quick getting the entry forms in for Mayhem and a few of the other big events for the solo categories.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I’ve done four 24 solo’s, tried all the big ones except SITS, I can definately say the most fun 24 for a solo rider is 24 Hours OF Exposure in Scotland. It’s nice because you know everyone else is solo, so it gives you a better idea of how you’re doing. A real “we’re all in the together” type feel about it. Also lots of team riders blasting past you all through the night in bigger events can test your nerve and patience at times, especially the few rude ones.

Preparation wise, ride a lot (obviously), looking at improving your weaknesses, whatever they might be. To do well at a 24 you need to work on speed as well as endurance so I do intervals, but If you’re just aiming to finish, just ride whenever you can, in all weather. A turbo trainer helps when you can’t go out on the road.

Get used to your bike setup and have it dialled in just right, sort out some nutrition plan the works for you and use it during training on some long rides.

Good luck.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought there. Will do more research and chat to mates about it and decide which one to do, then get entered asap. Once committed to an event like this should give the motivation to rack some miles up through the winter.

grtdkad

Gents, sorry for the hijack – those that have competed in the Newcastleton/Exposure 24 Solo, how would you describe the course and the event generally?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

How would i describe the course at Newcastleton? Really really fun! 😀

The other 24’s I’ve done are Relentless, Mayhem and 24/12. It’s probably the most fun course I’ve ever done, never got tired of it. The course at Relentless was really fun as well but i was having trouble holding on to the bars properly towards the end with hand/wrist pain, very rocky and rough in places. Amazing long downhills at Relentless though.

Newcastleton is good for the amount of singletrack I think, never too narrow to pass for very long though, lots of wider passing places. Its fun swooping singletrack and doesn’t require much concentration in most places, a real roller coaster in some parts. There’s about 1.5 miles of grass for the start and end of each lap, which meant this year a muddy climb in the forest and a fast long sketchy descent going down some grass at the end.
    I have a mate that didn’t like it much, but she prefers very technical courses.

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Would the Newcastleton course be on any of the Kielder route that went through there (ie red route). I did like that part of the Keilder even though I was starting to tire – though I did go over the bars on a steepish drop, fortunately landing on my head so no great damage!
    I’d be a bit worried if it was overly technical especially at night when concentration could waver occasionally.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Yeah it takes in one or two parts the kielder did, that one section of singletrack that finishes crosses the road down the bottom and turns right. And you pass that big carved out seven in the wood, same as kielder.
    Not too technical i think, just enough to keep you on your toes and not get bored. You should know it well by the time it gets dark anyway 🙂 .

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Anyone done sits as solo? I fancy a craic but probably still too nervous maybe pair next year and solo in 2013 …could do it in conjunction with my plan to do a half ironman…mmmm nutrition how the heck so you test that in training? As I imagine you just need to get out and ride but world not get near doing 24 hrs??

munrobiker
    Free Member

Relentless. Definitely should be on your to do list- excellent organisation and the best atmosphere of any 24 hour race.

I’ve done a few of the southern ones and the courses are not only substandard in terms of riding enjoyment and interest at Mountain Mayhem/SITS but they are also not weather proof- I swore I’d never go back to SITS after the 2008 event which was a mudbath- genuinely hated it (although in the dry it’s OK)- an event where the location has been picked for camping space and proximity rather than feel or, most importantly, riding.

Relentless is an exciting course, not as technical as the 10 Under series but you can’t have something mad technical for a 24 as there’d be crashes all over. My first Solo event was a No Fuss one and there’s nowhere you’ll get better encouragement and support from your fellow competitors than there.

I have friends who’ve thoroughly enjoyed the do at Newcastleton too.

grtdkad

Thanks MMCC. Any idea of lap length and climbing (ft) per lap?

druidh
    Free Member

Surely there can be only one..

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve done a few Druid, but even I’m not that stupid!
    I did find myself considering it after surviving Newcastleton in the rain but then came back to my senses.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Exposure is a great event. Really enjoyed this year, even with rain etc. Also amusing to be able to tell work colleagues that you are competing in the European Championships! 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Ive got all that stored on my TrainingPeaks account, can’t remember it off hand. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

Also i agree about the Relentless 24 from munrobiker, cracking event/course.

Anyone done sits as solo?

Yes, I got my best yet result and highest distance there, compared to TwentyFour12 and Mayhem. I’d say it’s the easiest course of the three, definitely the least climbing.
    There’s a solo marquee with electric sockets, so you can stash all your stuff under cover and run lights/kettle/fridge etc. It means you won’t be completely on your own as well, you’re bound to bump in to other soloists, or at least their pit crew, during the night.

oldgit
    Free Member

Is the 24 Hours of Exposure the only UK 24?

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

A hillier course would suit me as I’m a far better climber than descender, and I think a flatter course would be harder in a way – all that pedaling 🙂
    Another consideration for me would be somewhere to park my motorhome (I like a bit of comfort in my old age) would it be a problem at any of the courses?

njee20
    Free Member

You want your motorhome to be about 5 miles from the course – otherwise you’ll be tempted to use it, and a 24 solo just becomes 2 consecutive days riding with a break in the middle…

I’d certainly want an interesting course, I suspect SiTS would bore me to tears, the only reason I find it fun is going absolutely flat out! I think I’d get frustrated with all the climbing at Mayhem with comparatively little reward, 24/12 would be good. I did a 12 solo there though, and got bored, but I think that’s my mentality rather than the course, which was interesting enough.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    You want your motorhome to be about 5 miles from the course – otherwise you’ll be tempted to use it

+1, x100

michaelmcc
    Free Member

For the record, I have 24 hrs exposure lap as being 10.9 miles and 1270 ft of climbing.

It’s the only solo only 12 event in the UK, is thats what you mean. Theres another solo only 24 in the states and in OZ, but thats about it I think.

Of course theres solo 12 and 24 riding together for the first 12 hours. Defenately worth considering.

singletrackmind

CLIC24 as a starter event?
    Very laid back attitude , there is timing and its a proper race. The emphasis is on raising money for cancer research .
    Nice cakes too.
    Based near Cheddar.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Really good short video about last years event on that link. Well worth a watch to get a taster of it!

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

Nice one tyredbiker, bit late this year for me to join you though 🙂
    Would need to sort out some better lights too for the longer night section!
    One to bear in mind though.
    My thought process at moment is mebbe to do a 12 hour early on in year then a 24 a month or 2 later….

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘24 hour races/events’ is closed to new replies.