Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 24'' Boys bike build help
  • jkomo

I am building my youngest a bike based on a spesh hotrock 24.
    Has anyone found any decent forks for this? Preferably rigid and light.
    I also have an Isis race Face bottom bracket that sounds like it has no grease whatsoever, is this serviceable?
    Otherwise with a resprayed frame, new cables, and some bling, I’m good to go.

ianv
    Free Member

You can stick a normal 26 in fork on a 24 in bike with no issues. A cheapish air fork would be fine ( and way better than a rigid one)

rewski
    Free Member

You considered keeping it light and chucking on some carbon exotic rigids?

sugdenr
    Free Member

I’m doing this too (GF Preclaiber)

The only 24″ ones seem to be the ones Scott use on the high end 24″ bike and what Isla are using on their bikes. I cant find them retail anywhere, too expensive anyway.

I have tried some 26″ air forks and it makes a dramatic difference to the rake, puts an XC bike into AM maybe DH terrritory. Adults might not think its so bad, but if you think of it in % terms for a kid, actually its a huge difference (for example, the weight of the average half decent bike for a young kid is something like 45% of their body weight, compared to 17% for an adult).

I have some 26″ carbon forks, the rake is still the same so i’m going to cut them down and re-bond them (yes I do have a clue what i’m doing).

Ergo – best option out of the box is but some 24″ carbon forks from Exotic.

Rims? Dont get me started on rims……

jkomo

I can’t beleive on-one haven’t tapped this market.
    I can’t use a 26” fork as the brake bosses will be wrong, and I don’t want to change the hub to disc.
    Really, the Isla would be perfect. I might ring them to get a price on some.

scottrider
    Free Member

I put these on my daughters Scott Spark 24″ bike:

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1024/a57905/f1rst-air-24-mtb-federgabel-schwarz.html?mfid=557

not that cheap, but work, have canti and disc mounts.

jkomo

Nice

DezB
    Free Member

My kids Spesh has these on it. I reckon you’ll find kids aren’t as precious about the weight as Daddy is and would far prefer the fun of a pair of sus forks. I know mine would be most upset if I stuck a pair of rigids on his and told him it was to save weight!

ps. they WORK too.

takisawa2

My lads Spesh 24 is about to get the 420mm carbon Exotics off his Mums bike. Just need to work out if the spoke lengths will be ok so I can build the wheel onto a Deore Hub I have. An old BB5 will be the disc brake for it. The stock Suntour forks weigh as much as a set of Pikes!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

dez i assume the suntour are spring

What i found is that i can barely compress my kids “suspension” forks never mind them so I am reluctant to get any tbh
    What are these like for lighter kids?

The exotic carbon seem like the cheapest options
    Mine did not mind the switch to rigid as that was what they had but with a weight penalty

DezB
    Free Member

What i found is that i can barely compress my kids “suspension” forks

Well as I said – they WORK. I always read something like this on STW when it comes to the wrong make of product! They work – they are decent forks for a child’s bike that he’ll be using for a couple of years max.
    Wouldn’t have bothered mentioning them otherwise.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not having a dig it is a genuine question [ they do happen occasionally ] as i will buy them

What weight is your kid as mine are floaty light so this might be part of the problem

TA

OH I was not referring to those forks at all those are not the ones on my kids bikes so sorry if it reads like i mean those forks dont work

st66

My boy has a Islabike Beinn 24. I’m considering “upgrading” this with a suspension fork – mostly because he wants his bike to look more like mine, and also his mate has just got a Spesh Hotrock which has a suntour fork on it.

DezB – how much travel is your kid getting out of the suntour? Does the preloading work? Any issues other than weight?

martinhutch

Mine did not mind the switch to rigid as that was what they had but with a weight penalty

This.

Both of my two have heavy bikes with elastomer forks which I have to work hard to compress (and I suspect that’s the only time they ever move from full extension).

All of the rigid forks with v-brake mounts for 24″ are either mega expensive or have a 1″ steerer rather than the 1 1/8 that I would need.

st – perhaps your lad would like to make a straight swap!

Speshpaul

I’ve got a disc front wheel if you are short

sugdenr
    Free Member

scottrider – Member
    I put these on my daughters Scott Spark 24″ bike:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1024/a57905/f1rst-air-24-mtb-federgabel-schwarz.html?mfid=557
    not that cheap, but work, have canti and disc mounts.

OMG! It doesnt matter how hard you try, someone on STW always out ‘Googles’ you!

Scott – I take it these provide some actual usable suspension then?
    I’m pretty sure these are what Isla and Scott are using.

DezB
    Free Member

DezB – how much travel is your kid getting out of the suntour? Does the preloading work? Any issues other than weight?

Ha! You think I’ve measured it?? He just rides it and has fun… they provide a nice bit of softness so he can ride up kerbs and over bumpy fields. 🙂

(I’ll see if I can find a pic of the forks compressing)

DezB
    Free Member

😆 found a pic – they are RSTs on the Specialized!! 😳

In my defence he had Suntours on his previous Haro bike – and they were good too 🙂

jkomo

I’ll see what the RST’s are like that are on there, can they be taken apart and cleaned/lubed?
    I might weigh them just to see what difference we are talking about. Those air forks look mint.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘24'' Boys bike build help’ is closed to new replies.