Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 23c or 25c?
  • skybluestu
    Free Member

Will I notice a difference on the road? Currently have 23c and both tyres now have slices in them so need a new set. Only training rides and no racing and live with rough country lanes so need punters protection as well as being a little forgiving. Wondering whether going up to 25c is going to be noticeable at all.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Will they fit?
    I know at least one of my road bikes will only take 23.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s subtle but noticeable, it won’t turn a race frame into a tourer (in either a good or bad way). It just adds a smidgen of comfort and dulls the ride a smidgen.

Northwind

If they fit I’d go 28 tbh for what you describe. But I’m not a proper roadie.

retro83
    Free Member

You can run the tyres slightly softer so yes it takes the buzz off the ride a little.

wilburt
    Free Member

I occasionally seem to end up on rough roads or even bridleways so 25mm add a bit of confidence. they also seem to smooth out bad tarmac on otherwise good roads.

bikebouy
    Free Member

25’s if you can get them in.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Depends on the tyre. Some 23c tyres are just about as big as others 25c!

For what it’s worth i dont really notice much difference when comparing like with like and going between 23c and 25c, whereas i do notice a difference between (for example) a 23c gatorskin and a 23c gp4000s ii.

chakaping
    Free Member

Love my 25mm tyres so much that I sold my last road frame when I realised they were rubbing the chainstays slightly.

The extra margin for error they give means you don’t have to swerve every little imperfection on the road.

stevious

There’s no drawback to using 25mm tyres if you can fit them in.

I noticed a bit more comfort & grip going from 23 – 25 in conti GP 4000 2’s

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only training rides and no racing and live with rough country lanes

32s, then. Or, as fat as will fit. Look at the Roubaix peloton!

trickydisco
    Free Member

On a wider rim they make a difference. put 25mm michelin pro 4’s on my road bike wheels which are quite narrow (18mm outer) The profile looks wrong and bulgy. On my archtype which has a 23mm outer they look and feel much better

ahwiles
    Free Member

a large part of the fun of bikes is the fettling and tinkering. Try something, see for yourself, etc.

(although 23 to 25 isn’t a massive difference – i’d say it’s a positive difference, with no discernible drawbacks, but i’m an idiot, etc.)

if you run bigger tyres without reducing your pressures, you won’t feel any/much difference.

my suggestion, schwalbe durano, 28, ‘plus’ on the rear for more puncture resistance.

but i’m not a proper roadie…

4ags4
    Free Member

Go 28’s for a comfy ride as long as they will fit and you don’t have mega narrow rims.
    From recent reading 25’s seems about the norm in the pro peloton at the mo anyway.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I thought 75% of racers in the Tour De France are on 25mm now.

I think there a move to larger tyres in general both MTB and Road.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

“schwalbe durano, 28”

I have some of these. They are good and reliable but different slower than my 25mm Ultemo ZX.

Depends what you want I suppose.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I thought 25 was the new 18 anyhow…

ransos
    Free Member

put 25mm michelin pro 4’s on my road bike wheels which are quite narrow (18mm outer) The profile looks wrong and bulgy.

Probably because they measure at 28mm. Conti seem to be closer to their stated width.

TiRed

Depends on brand.

Schwalbe com up rather large and I wouldn’t bother, having run both.

Vittoria and Mavic are pretty much correct width, and I would definitely go for 25c. In fact I have 25 and 27c Open Corsa Paves. These are lovely tyres, but they do wear.

I’m a big fan of the top-end Mavic, don’t believe all you read in the press. They are very good indeed.

But if you want tubeless, 25c Schwalbe Ones are the best.

dovebiker

25mm tyre has 20% more volume than 23, plus has lower rolling resistance – you can also reduce the pressure for more grip and less harshness. Been an advocate of wide tyres for about 15 years, particularly after riding and racing in Flanders and Northern France. Many people still pump their tyres too hard so don’t really get the benefit of a larger volume tyre.

trickydisco
    Free Member

But if you want tubeless, 25c Schwalbe Ones are the best.

I was just looking at this as i’ve just ordered some pacenti sl23 rims. Looking at trying out this tubeless lark on the road bike

iainc

My 2012 Defy Composite came as standard with 23c tyres.

My 2016 one came with 25c tyres.

Sign of the times I reckon.

In both cases the Giant tyres have been replaced with 25c GP4000’s.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

25c way better IMHO, wont be going back to 23c. I think 25 is actually faster. Seems to roll better

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘23c or 25c?’ is closed to new replies.