Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 22T single ring set up?
  • johnhe

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but does anyone run a 22 tooth single run setup?

bikeneil
    Free Member

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but does anyone run a 22 tooth single run setup?

No. How slow would that be unless you have a one tooth cassette?

nedrapier

This looks more like 24, and there’s a reason why it’s so low and still usable:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/18-bikes-pinion-bike

Trials riders might get down to 22T at the front?

Why do you want to know?

johnhe

Because I live on a really steep hill with very technical climbs. I’d love the simplicity and weight of a single ring setup, but I really need my 22/36 lowest gear. On the other hand I rarely if ever use more than 5th gear with the middle ring.

svalgis
    Free Member

Well, it’s easy to try it out innit? Just don’t shift up from the granny for a week or so and see how you get on.

I’d say it’s a bit low personally – I never once found 22/36 useful when I was still using a granny and I think you’ll be surprised how fast you get fitter once you eliminate the possibility of shifting down a gear. I’d do 28t up front if I lived anywhere really steep and technical (running 32t now on not-so-steep-or-technical terrain and my noodle legs do fine).

I also think you might have a hard time setting up a 22t single ring with a decent chain line (which is essential because if you can’t use the entire cassette then it’s going to be really limiting IMO). Single specifik rings are available in 28t (and maybe even 26t, but surely no smaller) for spidereless SRAM cranks, for example.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’m sure I asked before about running 22-11 and was told there was a reason why it wasn’t common but can’t remember it…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I ran a 24T on a 29er for a while (so roughly equivalent gearing to a 27t on a 26er) and it was too low, even on the steepest stuff I rarely used 1st gear.

cloudnine
    Free Member

You UH lot are an odd bunch. Do people really actually enjoy gurning up long steep climbs?
    Fair enough if it’s for some decent dh singletrack.
    Have you thought about getting a group ride together and doing some downlift days at bpw?

njee20
    Free Member

Not sure what your point is? Should folk walk up climbs? Or avoid them altogether 😕

svalgis
    Free Member

Do people really actually enjoy gurning up long steep climbs?

Yes.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Walking would be quicker than with that gearing..

cp

Do people really actually enjoy gurning up long steep climbs?

Oh yes 🙂 Went for a post work road ride the other night purposefully filling it with climbs. Love em!

ton

26 front
    12/36 rear
    perfect combo imho

thomthumb
    Free Member

used to run 22t single on my trials bike. it’s too low for general riding IMO.

martymac

i have used 24/36/46 with a road cassette (12-23) and tbh it was fine.
    dunno if this helps.
    it did mean i used the granny slightly more often, and i was reasonably fit at the time.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘22T single ring set up?’ is closed to new replies.