Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • £2.2K to tile a bathroom and fit a bog?
  • singletrackmind

STM towers is having a make over .
    Works to include a new bathroom . The pink tiles and avocado suite just wernt coming back into fashion fast enough . Just like Halleys comet , they will be back again, unfortunatly not in my lifetime.

I have removed 90% of the glourious pink tiles and had room skimmed .

Chased out wall for concealed pipework

Worked out how to mount pipes in stupid 2″ cinder blocks ( front plate and 18mm ply with lots of pipe clamps .- tiled over

I have purchaed and assembled a new toilet / Bath / towel rail etc

Got wall and floor tiles in ready to go , at this point I run out of skill and patience . I have no DIY ability , no tools and bicycles and the internet are waaaay more better than tiling.

So , I call in the professionals. Man ( boy ) in a van comes round and uses all the right words . Quote comes in at £2150 to tile 8sq M of wall 2 sqM of floor and supply grout, adhesive and ply . Then slide new bath in , slide new bog in and box away some pipework.

STM towers bog is 175 x 175 ( cm’s ) . Guess it might be time to teach force myself to learn how to tile and do some basic carpentry as that is a holiday , another bike and change

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I paid a guy £200 to skim and tile 4 square metres in my kitchen. Little fiddly tiles too.
    I had to provide the tiles, grout and adhesive which came to about £130?

This was last week, so current prices ya know?

scaled
    Free Member

I’d get another couple of quotes!

quintet100
    Free Member

Hi
    I have just had my bathroom renovated.
    I did the taking out of old bathroom and had it skimmed.
    My tiler charged me £840 for fitting the tiles. That was 28sq m. He also supplied some adhesive.
    He did a fantastic job.
    Plumber is £500 to fit whole bathroom bath, shower, toilet, sink, unit, screen.
    Hope this helps.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

In true STW fashion, I paid 20p to get my house built out of diamond tipped unicorns, and even then the guy gave me £10 back.

P.S: It’s expensive, OP. Get 2 other quotes and take it from there.

robdob
    Free Member

I provided the tiles when I redid my bathroom and it cost £150 for a ruler to put them up with them providing grout etc.

£2k+ is crazy! If you’ve done all the above then fitting the bath/sink/bog is easy. Then you can employ a ticket to finish off.

Maybe the people who quoted are subbing the tiling and making a few £££ out of that too??

TheFlyingOx

That is taking the piss a little bit.

Rip out old bathroom, remove that godawful woodchip wallpaper, replaster walls and ceiling, relocate all hot water pipework, fit new bathroom and wetwall = £1750. We’ve already paid for the new bathroom suite. I think it’s a fairly reasonable price. Hell, I’d probably pay that just for the woodchip wallpaper removal. It’s a right pain in the hoop.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Seems expensive. We recently paid about £65 per sqm for kitchen tiling. We supplied tiles and edging but all other materials included in price.

On that basis you’ve been quoted £1500 for the rest.

This says £300 to fit a bath and bog.

Mintman
    Free Member

I’m paying £2k for plastering, 12m^2 floor/wall tiling (Inc adhesive) and fitting all the new furniture. That’s also supply and fit of underfloor heating, lighting and extractor unit so I think your quote is a little bit steep.

footflaps

Tiling to a freshly skimmed (ie flat) wall is very very easy. So I’d say his quote is pretty high! If it was an old Victorian wall, will bumps, dips and nothing square and he was going to deliver an A1 job, then maybe his quote is more reasonable…

spchantler
    Free Member

2.2 grand for 3 days work and 100 quid of materials??? i’ll take a week off and do it, i’ll bring my tent…

footflaps

Am I in parallel STW universe? Last bathroom refit thread I posted on, I was mocked for suggesting a bathroom refit might cost less than £16k!!

yunki
    Free Member

My mate tiled my kitchen and bathroom for the princely sum of 8 cans of Stella..

ricky1
    Free Member

I’ll do it for £1200….
    Jokes aside if that’s what he charges then that’s what he charges,when an inexperienced owner of the property gets involved things can take longer than expected,for example I did a job for a customer who said he would do most of the work which didn’t happen,I would get yo the job in the morning and things wouldn’t be done,upon phoning the customer to ask why I was greeted with “can you do it” which resulted in a big bill at the end,maybe he’s compensating for this,it is a pain in the arse when your not doing the full job and having to rely on the customer coming home from work and starting work on the job….which never happens.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Around here (NW) tiling is £45 – £50 Sq.m.

Where are you? Cayman Islands?

bigyinn
    Free Member

He’s in Hampshire (or at least he was).

singletrackmind

Agreed. But I have taken this week off to specifically do the demolition.

So far today I have dropped the old bath off its blocks so its 3″ lower , giving me more space to tidy up around the old tiles.

The wall tiles were on sale at B and Q and were £10sqm , they advertise tilers at £39 sqm.

Its basically a box, 1935 built , converted in 1980 to 2 flats . mostly square with a boxed corner hiding pipes floor to ceiling 5 x 10 cm. Was going to mosaic this , mosaic behind basin 30 x 30 and mosaic trim at 1200 , which is also window sill height.

I am lucky that I live alone and no -one else has set foot in my flat for maybe 18mths . Its like 1940’s blitz london just now , dust and debris everywhere but there will be a point when i get fed up with living in a building site.

Yes, still in Hants ( waves to IOW, well Ryde )

DezB
    Free Member

Try landgmaintenance@outlook.com 07808857233
    They do plumbing, not sure about tiling, probly.

ricky1
    Free Member

Maybe get a few quotes,do you have any friends who can recommend someone they can vouch for,maybe he can move on price,if he’s to busy he might just be banging in a big price hoping he doesn’t get it,they do that sometimes.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

I’d be looking at paying £200/day for good, skilled labour like this (from a VAT exempt tradesman). Add the cost of materials on top.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘£2.2K to tile a bathroom and fit a bog?’ is closed to new replies.