Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 483 total)
  • 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?
  • Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Is that in High Definition Graham? It looks like it….

deluded
    Free Member

Can someone tell me WTF this thread is about so that I might express a view on matters and clear this up for everybody.

GrahamS

I individually count how many I have.

So if you have five £1 coins you have to go: “£1, £2, £3, £4, £5”?

Okay. What if you empty your piggy bank and you have 142 x 20p coins?
    Please tell me you don’t have to count them up individually? 😯

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some money.

nedrapier

The Smugnificence:

a level of enlightenment most will never experience, and can only ever dream of.

_tom_ – Member
    5 x £1 + 4 x 20p
    What normal person thinks in equations like this when sorting their coins though? I just sort my coins into individual piles and add them up. Maybe I’m just thick though

I think that’s the point. “maths” isn’t some impenetrable, meaningless thing to be scared of or to be smug about, it’s something we do every day, and if you understand that five fivers and four twenty pees is £25.80, then you’ve “got” the point of BODMAS. Not that it’s an arbitrary set of rules that’s there for the sake of it, but a description of how things work.

oldnpastit

Fortunately there are millions of eager Chinese and Indian graduates who all know exactly how to do this.

So in the future, when people want anything done that’s above the level of peasant farming, we’ll be able to turn to those nations. We won’t need to worry that only a tiny minority in this country have the first idea about maths, and the remainder – like that idiot elfin – are actually proud of their ignorance.

EDIT: obligatory smiley 🙂

GrahamS

if you understand that five fivers and four twenty pees is £25.80, then you’ve “got” the point of BODMAS.

Thank Gödel someone else gets it. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

and the remainder – like that idiot elfin – are actually proud of their ignorance.

😀

Do you feel better now you’ve said that? Does it feel good to get it off yer chest?

I never thought I’d see such anger and virtriol from maffs geeks. Must be all that bullying they suffered as kids. 🙁

if you understand that five fivers and four twenty pees is £25.80, then you’ve “got” the point of BODMAS

Yeah but I fort the sum was 5x£1+4x20p? 😕

Or does the pound suddently turn itself into a fiver because of some invisible bracket?

DrJ

I think what it is, they can’t admit there’s different ways of doing stuff

There aren’t, though. The rules of doing maths are simply that – rules. If you try breaking them, you end up with illogical nonsense.

juan
    Free Member

Well we do live in a world of mediocrity. I got told by a recruiter once, that she wanted to see despite my obvious spelling mistake in my e-mail, as she though curricula vitae was wrong. I kind of lost it and put her back where she belong.

funkynick

[pedant]

juan… unless there was more than one CV, then it’s curriculum, not curricula…

[/pedant]

GrahamS

Erm I’m not a Latin geek but I’m pretty sure curricula is just as correct.

Courses of life versus course of life.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curriculum_vitae

Cougar

she though curricula vitae was wrong

It is, it should be Vitæ.

Question: why do you maffs geeks find it so important to be ‘right’ on this,

Worried about your monopoly?

nedrapier

I did a diffrunt sum Elfin. cos five fives is just that little bit tricker, as it desn’t have a 1 in it. How did you get on? 😕

oldnpastit

Do you feel better now you’ve said that? Does it feel good to get it off yer chest?

I look at how hard it is to recruit people for a technical job in this country, and I look at how many people from abroad we hire, and I find it quite depressing.

I never thought I’d see such anger and virtriol from maffs geeks. Must be all that bullying they suffered as kids.

CBA to answer that.

funkynick

Curricula is correct as the plural of curriculum…

Now, as to whether you could argue that a single document containing all the different parts of ones life should be ‘courses’ and not ‘course’ is another matter!

nedrapier

There aren’t, though. The rules of doing maths are simply that – rules. If you try breaking them, you end up with illogical nonsense.

Like neutrinos going faster than the speed of light and non-euclidian geometry?

nedrapier

maffs geeks. Must be all that bullying they suffered as kids.

I’ll have you know I started a maths club at school! We had 100 members! But that’s binary, so 4…

– Paul Kerensa.

funkynick

Neutrinos regularly travel at faster than the local speed of light, so maybe they have just discovered that what we think of as ‘the speed of light’ is just another localise speed… 😀

Non-euclidian geometry isn’t ignoring the rules… it’s another set of rules entirely. All of Euclid’s theorems are true for well, flat space I guess you could call it, which is a good local approximation to the real world.

nonk
    Free Member

looks in…..WTF..

wanders out again.

nedrapier

How can it be another set of rules if it isn’t disregarding/breaking/ rewriting rules? 🙂

funkynick

Simple, Euclidean geometry works for flat space, but does not work for curved space. So it works within the bounds of it’s own rule set…

Now, just because it was thought the rules for Euclidean geometry were thought to be universal for a while, which was then proved to be false, does not invalidate the rules, it just gives a more precise definition of them…

😀

nedrapier

fair enough! ta!

_tom_
    Free Member

Please tell me you don’t have to count them up individually?

Take it to the coinstar machine and let that work it out for me to save the effort 😆 Again though it’s not something that I would come across in day to day life, I don’t keep that many coins around.

GrahamS

F*** me. I give up. 🙄

I guess to some people it will remain a complete mystery why their calculator, spreadsheet, phone, google, wolfram, and their 9 year old all insist that 2 + 2 x 3 is 8, when it is clearly 12.

But luckily normal people never need to multiply in real life 😀

DenDennis
    Free Member

I guess to some people it will remain a complete mystery why their calculator, spreadsheet, phone, google, wolfram, and their 9 year old all insist that 2+2 x 3 is 8, when it is clearly 12.

FTFY 😉

v8ninety

Elves are quite similar to gnomes, don’t you know. Practically the same in fact…

GrahamS

It’s the children I fear for. 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Trolling is easier than I thought 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

I see where Graham’s going with that, but it does not in any way justify or back up his claims for twenty six as opposed to zero

if you have 2 x 50p and no pound coins in your pocket is their a pound? or no money?

2 x 0.5 + 0 x 1 = ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

F*** me. I give up.

We’ve broken him! 😀

Some of them are sooo angry, aren’t they Tom? 😮

Not the same. Very different in fact. Like saying wombats and spider monkeys are ‘practically the same’ because they’re furry.

DrJ

I like Elfin’s notion that you can get more money in your pocket if you count it up in a different way. I think I’ll see if I can convince my bank manager to see things that way too. (If I lard my speech with enough silly affectations I’m sure it will be just as convincing as Elf. )

LHS
    Free Member

Calm down dears, its only a forum.

For those who remember maths from school and understand that the application of maths is about following the rules like BODMAS then you can rest easy in your knowledge.

For those who are sitting in their middle class 2 up 2 down house, wearing their generic outfit from GAP, sipping on their skinny chai latte from the local costa whilst trying to maintain their online hardman persona of STILL being too cool for school, growing up in da hood an not givin a damn, you are the reason your fine nation is going down the pan. 😉

jiajerry
    Free Member

The result is 26.

Bez

“Son, we live in a world that has parentheses, and those parentheses have to be guarded by men with an eye for clarity. Who’s gonna do it? You?”

Sorry, but: no parentheses, no answer. The question is deliberately vague; the answer is wholly dependent on context, just as it would be possible to construct a perfectly valid sentence whose meaning would be wholly dependent on context.

And FWIW I’m mostly a software developer, but one more interested in people writing clear code than just technically correct code. Write something like that and you’d get told to do it again.

GrahamS

Some of them are sooo angry, aren’t they Tom?

Not angry, just disappointed and a little despairing.

Sorry, but: no parentheses, no answer.

Why is it people are quite happy with the notion of doing the brackets first, but struggle with the fact that there is an order after that.

Quick test, presumably you would say that:

2 + 3 x 3

“is deliberately vague” yes? So how about:

2 + 3²

That’s exactly the same sum. Still vague?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Sorry, but: no parentheses, no answer. The question is deliberately vague; the answer is wholly dependent on context,

It’s not vague in the slightest, it is very, very specific. Whether it is the problem that was meant to be set is another matter entirely. Parentheses are only added when necessary and that is not always the case, although I can see an arguement for including them in software coding from a QA persepctive, provided it doesn’t change the problem.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Elf – did you get beaten up by the chess club when you were at school or sumfink?

juan
    Free Member

[pedant]

juan… unless there was more than one CV, then it’s curriculum, not curricula…

[/pedant]

Well she did received two documents, one in French and one in English. But she did fail to understand my point, it’s not curriculums vitaes but curricula vitae. And then she couldn’t understand why I did not put a plural on vitae as well…
    But back to the point, they are rules for maths, you can choose to ignore them and become very offensive when confronted with your ignorance/denial, but they exist. Nothing you can do about it. Would you ignore the rules set in the highway code as well? Regardless of consequences? And as for not remembering EVERYTHING from school I find it to be wrong. Until you turn lets say 16 you have nothing else to do than study, it’s your main occupation, I would go as far as saying it’s your job. So you might as well do it properly. I bet you thin it’s ok to misspell and use text spelling. To be fair I am very upset by this “it’s cool to be a moron” culture. No it’s not cool to be uneducated, I find it to be rather sad or pathetic depending wether or not you had change in life.

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

What a fantastic thread.

A little reminder of BODMAS.

wait before you do the calculation

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-FKjqL6NyQ[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 483 total)

The topic ‘2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2-2+2 x 0?’ is closed to new replies.