Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)
  • £220 fine for no lights
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

I don’t recall anyone saying its a bad idea to use lights TAXI MAN… Do try and keep up. The point I was making (and I believe a few others) is that the benefits of lights are often overstated. It doesn’t matter how much anecdotal “evidence” people churn up, the numbers don’t lie….

“Wearing dark clothing at night was seen as a potential cause in about 2.5% of cases, and failure to use lights was mentioned 2% of the time.”

From a Department for Transport study

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/15/cycling-bike-accidents-study

molgrips
    Free Member

Ahh.. thought so. Statistical fail, I think.

If I’m reading this right it says that not using lights was a contributing factor in 2% of accidents. But it does not say how many of the total accidents were using lights, nor does it say how many accidents happened in the dark.

The statistic we need is how many riders with lights were involved in accidents vs total riders with lights; and how many riders without lights were involved in accidents vs total riders without lights. In both daytime and night time.

Am I right?

ndthornton
    Free Member

Am I right?

I wouldn’t have thought so – not on past evidence

molgrips
    Free Member

😆

But you don’t actually know if I’m right, you’re just guessing?

ndthornton
    Free Member

If I say your right will you get back in your box?

molgrips
    Free Member

No.

But if you can’t tell if I’m right or not then you don’t understand stats enough to quote articles. So I might cordially invite you to get back inside your own box 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I’m reading this right it says that not using lights was a contributing factor in 2% of accidents. But it does not say how many of the total accidents were using lights, nor does it say how many accidents happened in the dark.

Why do you want to know this ?

gwaelod
    Free Member

There must be some stats on this somewhere – I genuinely don’t know the answer..but how far ahead does a car on dipped headlights throw its beam so the driver can see an obstruction clearly. Is the distance greater or lesser than the stopping distances at 40/50/60/70 in the highway code?

taxi25
    Free Member

I don’t recall anyone saying its a bad idea to use lights TAXI MAN

so your making a pointless argument just for the sake of arguing then. I suppose that’s what some people use the internet for. Just carry on if your having fun 😀

Bez

Why do you want to know this?

In order to be able to make any even slightly meaningful inferences from the data.

Actually the Stats19 data does tell you those things. But it doesn’t tell you how many people are riding around with or without lights, nor the total distances covered by each. And without that you still can’t make any meaningful inferences (if there are 100 collisions in each set, what if there were 100 people in one set and 1,000 in the other? but then what if the 100 in the first set all rode 1,000 miles each and those in the second only rode 10?). And there’s no data set that’ll tell you those things.

And even then you’d have to account for population behaviours: let’s take the (quite reasonable) hypothesis that people who ride without lights are less safety-conscious and more inclined to take risks. This makes them inherently more likely to be involved in a collision. Thus even if you know the per-mile collision rates for lit and unlit cyclists, you still have a population bias that you pretty much can’t filter out.

And then you’d have to consider the population bias in terms of locations, and…

Bez

There must be some stats on this somewhere – I genuinely don’t know the answer..but how far ahead does a car on dipped headlights throw its beam so the driver can see an obstruction clearly. Is the distance greater or lesser than the stopping distances at 40/50/60/70 in the highway code?

It varies depending on how good your lights and your brakes are, of course, but 50mph is a ballpark figure for your average car. (Sources exist, but I don’t have them to hand.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you want to know this ?

What Bez said.

nickjb
    Free Member

You might not be able to work out what difference lights make from those stats but the main cause of accidents is pretty clear: With adult cyclists, police found the driver solely responsible in about 60%-75% of all cases. Get these idiots off the road rather than blaming the victims then we can start looking at the finer points.

molgrips
    Free Member

The question we are debating is ‘are lights worth using?’ not ‘what’s the greatest risk to cyclists?’

And given we don’t know how much of a risk not using lights is, we don’t know how much the non light users are to blame, do we?

It would be pretty ridiculous to argue that whilst there are careless drivers on the roads we don’t need to use lights – which is the only conclusion from your post.

nickjb
    Free Member

It would be pretty ridiculous to argue that whilst there are careless drivers on the roads we don’t need to use lights – which is the only conclusion from your post.

no idea how you concluded that. As I previously stated, the main reason you need lights is careless drivers. Whether that’s drivers paying less than 50% attention to the act of driving or those that that just glance at junctions and decide that because they didn’t notice something then there is nothing there. The problem is bad drivers, of which there are many. Blaming the victims and forcing them to protect themselves does help fix the problem but it’s hardly a good solution.

molgrips
    Free Member

As I previously stated, the main reason you need lights is careless drivers.

Disagree. It is a legal requirement to be lit, for obvious reasons. Drivers should be looking out for everything, that is true, but being unlit makes this very much more difficult.

Are you saying that if a driver is paying attention then lights should not be necessary? Cos that’s bobbins IMO.

Blaming the victims and forcing them to protect themselves does help fix the problem but it’s hardly a good solution.

It really does sound like you’re arguing against the use of lights..?

Look – it’s dark at night, even under streetlights, so why should lights not be mandatory? They are for cars, so why not for bikes? Really not following you here.

You have a duty to follow certain safety rules when driving, riding and walking. Otherwise you could dress completely in black and leap out from behind a lorry into the road and blame the driver that hits you..? The safety rules involve the highway code, watching where you are going and using lights at night.

nickjb
    Free Member

It really does sound like you’re arguing against the use of lights..?

No. I’m arguing against blaming the victim as the first place you go. There are many factors in accidents and bad, inattentive driving is the main one IMO. The smoke and mirrors of victim blaming might appease the motorists but it’s not a good way forward.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m arguing against blaming the victim as the first place you go

Can a driver reasonably be expected to see a rider without lights in all instances?

I absolutely NEVER advocate taking anything at face value. In every accident all the facts need to be considered, both by the real courts and the internet ones. Consequently I would never assign blame to any cyclist in an accident for not using lights unless I knew all the circumstances. However I WOULD condemn a cyclist for not using lights *in general* because it’s risky behaviour. Note the subtle difference between those two statements.

Sometimes the cyclist IS to blame, you know. As is the pedestrian.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The question we are debating is ‘are lights worth using?’ not ‘what’s the greatest risk to cyclists?’

Of course they are as they[there absence] are a factor in 2% of cycling accidents

And given we don’t know how much of a risk not using lights is, we don’t know how much the non light users are to blame, do we?

Its still 2%

I guess this is just moly doing his thing – no disrespect meant

molgrips
    Free Member

Its still 2%

No it’s not.

aracer
    Free Member

😆 yeah, it’s definitely me coming across as an idiot…

aracer
    Free Member

Do keep up – I think us idiots have already agreed that it’s not reasonable to expect a driver to see a cyclist without lights when the driver is waiting at a T junction and the cyclist is riding along the road the driver is looking to join (assuming no street lights). I’m sure there are other examples, but that’s a good one.

I don’t think anybody has come up with an example of where it would be unreasonable to expect a driver to see a cyclist without a rear light though.

molgrips
    Free Member

1) when there are lots of other bright rear lights in front of the driver.

2) When the lighting is uneven from street lights or other sources

3) In bright sunlight with strong shade on parts of the road

4) When driving into a low sun

5) Fog

6) Heavy rain

For starters.

aracer
    Free Member

So you reckon it’s reasonable for a driver driving into a low sun or in bright sunlight not to see a cyclist without a rear light? Would it be reasonable for the driver not to see them in those circumstances even if the cyclist did have a rear light?

Let’s just drive into a space whether or not we can see what is in that space.

irelanst
    Free Member

don’t think anybody has come up with an example of where it would be unreasonable to expect a driver to see a cyclist without a rear light though.

Maybe flip the question;

Is there a situation where a rear light would make a cyclist less visible?

My aim when I ride on the road is to get from A to B without being killed, if a light helps in any way then I’m going to use one, no amount of moral high ground helps when you’re squished under a car.

aracer
    Free Member

Probably when riding into a low sun…

molgrips
    Free Member

Define ‘reasonable’ ?

Let’s just drive into a space whether or not we can see what is in that space.

Have you ever driven into a low sun?

Of course in all those situations a driver should take due care and pay attention, but a cyclist should make it as easy as possible to be seen, as should any driver by putting his own lights on.

I’m not blaming every unlit cyclist for every accident. Just to clear that up. I think some refer to the concepts I am advocating as ‘common sense’ but I don’t like that phrase.

irelanst
    Free Member

Probably when riding into a low sun…

I’m not convinced, unless the light is more powerful than the sun, then the rider will be a shadow, light or no light.

butcher

I’m not blaming every unlit cyclist for every accident. Just to clear that up. I think some refer to the concepts I am advocating as ‘common sense’ but I don’t like that phrase.

Driving into low sun despite not being able to see is common sense? Am I reading this right? 😕

wrecker
    Free Member

Jesus. If you’re riding at night just put some bloody lights on. FFS.

aracer
    Free Member

So you’re suggesting that drivers who run down cyclists because they couldn’t see them when driving into a low sun are not at all at fault? Wow. Is it the cyclists who are at fault then?

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I’ve said it before – the true offence here is ‘failing to spot the police’

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Who’s the victim here?

The state for not putting his dumb ass down at birth…?

molgrips
    Free Member

So you’re suggesting that drivers who run down cyclists because they couldn’t see them when driving into a low sun are not at all at fault?

Of course I’m bloody well not, read my posts, especially the bit where I said this:

I absolutely NEVER advocate taking anything at face value. In every accident all the facts need to be considered, both by the real courts and the internet ones.

The bit about the low sun was in direct response (and ONLY in response) to the bit where you said you couldn’t think of a situation where a driver might not reasonably be expected to SEE a rider without a rear light. I made no allocation of blame in any hypothetical accident in such a situation.

aracer
    Free Member

So if in that situation the driver might not reasonably be expected to see the cyclist (your claim) then the driver might not reasonably be expected to avoid running them over. If the driver might not reasonably be expected to avoid running them over, then the driver isn’t at fault.

Where is the flaw in logic there?

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect the driver to see the cyclist (with or without a light) in any of your other scenarios BTW, just going for the low hanging fruit.

Bez

Its still 2%

Not necessarily. Where a collision occurs and the cyclist is unlit, this is likely to be recorded as a factor. But what you don’t know is whether the same collision would have occurred with lights*. To get a better idea of that, you’d need to compare normalised collision rates across the with/without lights sets, adjusting for confounding factors.

* Example: driver is distracted by phone or similar, collides with cyclist, obviously says “I didn’t see him”; cyclist doesn’t have lights, so it’s recorded as a contributory factor (and I suspect may well be in all cases where it appears), but it’s not necessarily the cause of the failure to see him.

PS I don’t think anyone’s claiming that there are no incidents in which a lack of lights was a genuine contributory factor.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where is the flaw in logic there?

There isn’t one, really. You’re extrapolating points that you think I’m making, even though I’ve explicitly told you that I’m not. And you’re getting rather confrontational about it, being rather passive-aggressive.

Let me repeat. I am not saying who’s at fault in a situation that has not even been described hypothetically in this thread. You asked for instances where a driver might not see a cyclist without a rear light even if they were looking, I gave some.

I did not say what the driver should or should not do if they find themselves in a situation where they can’t see very well. If anything, I was pointing out why we still need rear lights even if the cars behind have their headlights on.

I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect the driver to see the cyclist (with or without a light) in any of your other scenarios BTW

Ok so this is a bit more interesting. Low sun is a danger to everyone, it’s a difficult situation in which to drive. However lots of lights at night is a different thing altogether. If you have lots of red lights in your face, as you do when driving at night, then your eye cannot easily see things that are dark. It’s not a question of inattention, it’s a question of optics. However the driver should safely be able to assume that any road traffic will be lit up, since those are the rules. So he should be able to drive by the lights he can see. That doesn’t mean abdicating due care and attention, he should not of course be reckless and drivers should always expect the unexpected, but due to the physics of the situation he might not be able to SEE the unlit cyclist.

Likewise thick fog. Have you ever seen a string of car lights coming towards you in fog and then when they arrive there’s actually another one in front that you didn’t see until they were quite close?

I don’t think a driver can be expected to see everything in all lighting conditions when that object is unlit.

However – in any accident, ALL the facts should be assessed, and blame should not be automatically attributed due to the presence or absence of lights, helmets, high-viz and so on. I believe this is how the legal process is meant to work.

aracer
    Free Member

To think that it’s not unreasonable for the driver not to see the cyclist but that he would be at fault if he ran the cyclist over is a failure of logic, hence by giving your opinion on one you’ve also given your opinion on the other, whatever your disclaimer.

Or to put it another way, if you think a driver who runs down a cyclist is at fault even if they are diving into a low sun, then the logical progression from that is that it is unreasonable for a driver not to see a cyclist in those circumstances.

At the point I came into this thread I thought we’d already done “lights are a good idea”, and moved onto discussing whether motorists should be expected to look where they’re going whether or not cyclists are lit up.

Ok so this is a bit more interesting…

So slow down so that you can process the information and not run into something in front of you (which might be all sorts of other unlit things apart from cyclists). The thing is, the whole argument you’re making here is very much based on the hegemony of the car.

epicyclo

If you get hit riding without lights, it’s your fault.

But it’s also the driver’s fault.

No one should drive faster than the range of their lights allows for stopping. There’s much bigger things than cyclists out there on the roads at night such as deer or cows, and they don’t have lights. Or perhaps even a pedestrian.

molgrips
    Free Member

The thing is, the whole argument you’re making here is very much based on the hegemony of the car.

No, because I also include cyclists running into other cyclists.

Don’t invent prejudices for me. Keep an open mind on the internet, rather than believing what you want to believe. I’m NOT pro car hegemony, and this whole debate is about practicalities of the current situation, not future transport policy.

So bloody stop it, it’s a pain in the arse.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘£220 fine for no lights’ is closed to new replies.