Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)
  • £220 fine for no lights
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

When you are pulling out from the side of the road a cyclist without lights against a backdrop of car headlights is pretty much invisible. It’s also a reason why a flashing light is a good idea, they really stand out against the car lights. I hardly ever ride on the road but picked up some lights in Aldi the other day as they were so cheap, handy to have in the bag just in case.

Bez

Yes I probably would have given you a mouthfull too. Not really any of your business was it.

Ah, the refrain beloved of drivers using phones, among others. As noted above, the lights aren’t solely there for the benefit of the rider: they’re also to help prevent collisions where pedestrians step in front of a bicycle or where someone is joining a road at a T-junction where the bicycle is approaching from the side.

Besides, where does your “not your business” philosophy stop? If you see someone attempting to burgle a house would you object to anyone intervening on the grounds that it’s not their business?

Folks should be allowed to use common sense regarding lights (i.e. none /rear only/ or front and rear) depending on the circumstances (journey length / street lights / volume of traffic / number of cycle paths / quality of eyesight to name a few). Common sense is a valuable asset but people never seem to be able to exercise it these days…and without practice a skill quickly diminishes.

Well, for instance, some people haven’t thought about things from others’ point of view (see above), so their “common sense” is flawed for a start. “Common sense” is always subjective, and inherently based on a certain perspective. As you point out, many people don’t exercise it, whatever it is (because your definition of it will differ from mine and anyone else’s). And that’s precisely why we have laws for this sort of thing.

Well done you on showing everyone you’re Very Good at [your] Common Sense, though: have a biscuit 😉

amedias
    Free Member

Bah, I’ll just delete my very similar response that Bez beat me to posting!

One point that does get skipped over when people compare cyclists without lights, and drivers without lights is that not having your lights on in a car is normally a result of forgetfullness/lack of attention*, and if you (or a nice Policeman) point it out to the driver it’s normally very easily fixed by flicking a switch, you might get a stern talking to, but unlikely to get a fine if you’re just bimbling around after dusk under streetlighting, might be different if you’re also doing $OTHER_BAD_THINGS, but the same goes when cycling.

The Cycling scenario is much more commonly that they do not have lights fitted, which is very different, that’s not normally carelessness or forgetfulness, that’s going out on/in a vehicle that you know is not properly equipped (in the eyes of the law, whatever your not-so-common sense says), and if you or that nice Policeman point it out they can’t just flick a switch if they are not fitted.

That is a big difference, if you have lights fitted but forgot to turn them on and plod stops you, it’ll be a friendly “turn them on please” and no fine, likewise if you go out in a car after dark with no headlamps fitted you’ll get more than just a producer!

*In itself something that needs dealing with but one step at a time.

Bez

You should feel guilty as it probably was your fault. Your own powerful headlights will have illuminated the cyclist perfectly adequately for you to avoid him regardless of what lights the cyclist was wearing. Accidents are tend to be caused by drivers getting distracted and not seeing whats right in front of them.

You seem to be assuming a “hit from behind” collision.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Your own powerful headlights will have illuminated the cyclist perfectly adequately for you to avoid him regardless of what lights the cyclist was wearing.

what if they are not in front of your lights – coming from a side road for example?

I have had a guy without lights and dark clothing do this to me on a roundabout. Shot across in front of me, then up onto the pavement, then across the sideroad at the next junction without checking for anyone turning into the road.

Not sure I would personally be too bothered about hitting such a cyclist – but my wife for example would be pretty shook up. Me, I would just be getting their household insurance details so I can get the damage to my car repaired. Possibly after I had rung for an ambulance…

franksinatra

Your own powerful headlights will have illuminated the cyclist perfectly adequately for you to avoid him regardless of what lights the cyclist was wearing. Accidents are tend to be caused by drivers getting distracted and not seeing whats right in front of them.

That is guff. I turned right at a t-junction once on a unlit road and a ninja cyclist, all in black with no lights splattered into the side of me. How am I to see him when I am at a junction with lights facing forward and he rides out of the dark at a 90 degree angle. If I had killed him that would have remained with me forever.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Well, for instance, some people haven’t thought about things from others’ point of view (see above), so their “common sense” is flawed for a start.

Well in terms of heading out into heavy traffic without lights this a perfect method of irradiating these flawed characteristics from the gene pool…….No?

Bez

Well in terms of heading out into heavy traffic without lights this a perfect method of irradiating these flawed characteristics from the gene pool…….No?

Ah, the “Darwinism über alles” ideology. Not sure if facetiousness or sociopathy.

ndthornton
    Free Member

So Darwin was a psychopathic, antisocial criminal?

Bez

Strange. It’s almost as if I wrote something and then you completely failed to understand it in any way, shape or form.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I had to look up the dictionary definition for “sociopathy”. I’m afraid I have a in built tendency to ignore all words that start with “socio” or “psycho”

kerley
    Free Member

I had to look up the dictionary definition for “sociopathy”. I’m afraid I have a in built tendency to ignore all words that start with “socio” or “psycho”

You should talk to a psychologist about that

ndthornton
    Free Member

A what..?

bimster29
    Free Member

So the other morning when I was walking the spaniel (who has a flashing collar on so he can be seen), a cyclist came passed, dressed in black and the only light on her bike was a red flashing one at the front?

What fine should this idiot get!

ndthornton
    Free Member

What fine should this idiot get!

None so long as they poopa-scooped

benp1

I’m well up for fining people, as the number of people I’ve seen without lights is frankly ridiculous. It’s evolution waiting to happen

However, I’m not entirely compliant myself. I have a rear reflector on my commuter, but no front reflector and no pedal reflectors. I have 2 lights on front and rear, with more as backup, and I’m usually wearing something with reflectives (as well as reflective bits on bike like marathon plus tyres and spoke reflectors)

Bez

Front reflector isn’t a legal requirement.

mrchrispy

I was caught out on Monday, didnt get out of work till 6.15 and it was full on dusk. had rear light but very concious of no front…felt horrible.

full nuclear exposure loadout is now in operation

belugabob
    Free Member

While you had the dictionary out, you could have looked up the difference between ‘irradiating’ and ‘eradicating’. (Or paid more attention to what your predictive text feature is doing – as I need to do, myself :wink:)

hels
    Free Member

You wonder if some people really want to live.

I nearly hit a guy on a roundabout last week. Motocross bike, no indicators and very shit light. (clearly not road legal – no reg plate either). I heard him so took a second/third look and realised there was a bike there and he was coming all the way around.

Not so the van driver next to me, who just pulled out right in from of him. He managed to swing around behind him and roared off, I assume for a clean pair of trousers.

(sorry – I am kind of assuming it was a bloke, I guess it oculd have been a female person)

D0NK

an approval from me.

I’m torn on this, I’m kinda tempted to agree. But on the other hand after a bit of thought I’m reminded that drivers should probably stop driving into spaces they can’t see for themselves are free of obstruction (cars do after all have quite powerful lights) there’s plenty of things that can be int he road that don’t (and shouldn’t) have a legal requirement for lights. And more cogitation leads me to think it’s the motoring lobby and our car centric society that has hammered the former “I agree with the victim blaming” message into my psyche so I think I’ll rebel against that.

Basing your driving in poor visibility on looking out for lights ahead of you is a pretty daft thing to do. Likewise if sonny jim in the OP cycled into an unlit object because of his lack of lights it’d be his own stupid fault.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Crazy last night, literally half a dozen while driving home, zero lights, well and truly dark and beyond the point of being caught out with it getting dark a bit earlier.

Though most were in lit areas but one I nearly ran over out in the countryside, and was only that he had pedal reflectors that I even spotted him.

Though to be fair my bikes don’t have pedal reflectors being a mountain bike, and I get on people’s tits by not having hi-vis 😀 , but then again I have retina burning lights and I’m only on the road for brief periods.

Oh, and non had helmets (so if they got run over, clearly their fault 😉 )

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Basing your driving in poor visibility on looking out for lights ahead of you is a pretty daft thing to do.

It is dark – car lights shine to the front only.

You can look at much as you want but if something is coming from your side then you only have a certain distance of visibility because it is dark.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Crazy last night, literally half a dozen while driving home, zero lights

You did see them then because you counted them; so they weren’t rendered invisible…..and from your tone am I safe in assuming you managed not to run over any of them?

Bez

I’m torn on this, I’m kinda tempted to agree. But on the other hand after a bit of thought I’m reminded that drivers should probably stop driving into spaces they can’t see for themselves are free of obstruction (cars do after all have quite powerful lights) there’s plenty of things that can be int he road that don’t (and shouldn’t) have a legal requirement for lights. And more cogitation leads me to think it’s the motoring lobby and our car centric society that has hammered the former “I agree with the victim blaming” message into my psyche so I think I’ll rebel against that.

Et voilà: http://singletrackworld.com/columns/2015/02/bez-the-wedge/

molgrips
    Free Member

You did see them then because you counted them; so they weren’t rendered invisible

Come on. You must be able to understand that not having lights doesn’t *always* render you invisible, it renders you *less* visible, which means that in some cases you may not be noticed.

Do some thinking before you spout off. Or better still stop trying to pursue arguments you must know are spurious just to win arguments.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I just find it interesting how in some cases what seems obvious isn’t actually the case. Like lighting yourself up like a Christmas tree would seem to be much safer than not using lights at all….but the numbers suggest it makes you about 2% less likely to get squished.

I just find that quite interesting – its not going to make me not use lights at all because 2% is 2%…. and lights are cheap so why not. But it does make you wonder why people get so upset about none light users.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But it does make you wonder why people get so upset about none light users.

I think this has been expressed already – I don’t want the inconvenience of scraping them off my bumper because they can’t be bothered to follow the law. Let alone any psychological impact hitting them might have.

molgrips
    Free Member

but the numbers suggest it makes you about 2% less likely to get squished.

Hmm. I’m sceptical of that.

But it does make you wonder why people get so upset about none light users.

Maybe you are 50% more likely to have a near miss. To scare the crap out of some driver and cause an emergency stop. If that were the case it’d be inconsiderate and careless, even if it weren’t more directly dangerous.

Would it be ok to drive around in a car with no lights and expect everyone else to take up the slack?

If someone gets knocked off in the dark that’s their problem not yours.

Rubbish. I for one would be pretty stressed out if I killed someone even if it wasn’t my fault. Also, I might be another cyclist or a pedestrian, and I might come off worse.

You really aren’t thinking any of this through very well. You’re being very naieve indeed. You might even be worthy of an Edinburgh award for poor arguing.

Bez

I think this has been expressed already – I don’t want the inconvenience of scraping them off my bumper because they can’t be bothered to follow the law.

But, edging towards devil’s advocacy, you can minimise the risk of that inconvenience that by not driving such that you can’t stop within the space you can see to be clear. This then also works for people on foot, wayward children, parked or broken-down vehicles, deer, land mines and so on. The main car-bicycle collision mode where an unlit bicycle can’t be accounted for is the T-junction example, where the impact speed is (a) determined by the person who stands to suffer the injury and (b) much less likely to prove fatal.

molgrips
    Free Member

you can minimise the risk of that inconvenience that by not driving such that you can’t stop within the space you can see to be clear.

That doesn’t work, because you might think the space is clear then some dark clothed ninja biker appears and it’s no longer clear.

You have to understand how the brain processes images.

aracer
    Free Member

So for those making the (quite reasonable) point about cyclists approaching from the side outside the beam of your headlights. How important do you consider rear lights on bicycles to be for road safety? Does a cyclist not having a rear light provide a driver with an excuse for running them over in any circumstances?

nickjb
    Free Member

Especially ones it isn’t bothering to look for.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Let’s do a test – everyone that is advocating that it is OK to ride around without lights should do so for the duration of this winter and then we can see if everyone is still around next summer, which would indicate that the strategy is sound.

molgrips
    Free Member

Especially ones it isn’t bothering to look for

Quite.

Not limited to cyclists though is it?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Good.
    It’s not excessive, it’s just that other penalties, for things that are far more likely to affect others, are so trivial.

taxi25
    Free Member

Crazy thread, imagine going on a motor bike or car forum and suggesting it should be ok to go around after dark without lights. You’d be a laughing stock. But here we are cyclists, amongst the most vulnerable road users saying just that ( well some anyway ). If you think it’s a problem to use lights and that everyone else should just look out for you, do us a favour and just get of the road after dark, please !!

aracer
    Free Member

Have you put any thought at all into whether a driver should be able to see a cyclist whether or not they have a rear light before writing that rant, taxi?

taxi25
    Free Member

Sorry aracer its only about rear light now I didn’t realise. 🙄 But hey a dark road with parked cars some drizzle, oncoming traffic, if I’m on my bike I’ll sure as hell have as bright a rear light as I can find, regardless of whether some nut job on the internet thinks every car driver in every circumstance should see me regardless. Just grow up a bit mate you and a couple of other are just coming across like idiots.

Bez

I did say minimise, not eliminate…

imagine going on a motor bike or car forum and suggesting it should be ok to go around after dark without lights

80 years ago it was. It only became socially frowned upon when cars became significantly faster, and people started driving faster than their headlights could keep up with, resulting in them crashing into a lot more stuff. “This is no good,” they said, “how can we be expected not to crash into things when we can’t see them?” and so bicycles acquired rear lights. We’ve continued with that theme ever since, and motor vehicles—with their continuing ability to outpace their own illumination—have become ever more dominant, which is why most people consider it laughable today.

(And no, I’m not arguing that people should ride around in the dark without lights, or that everyone should drive everywhere at under 40mph once darkness falls, but that’s how we cane to be where we are today.)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘£220 fine for no lights’ is closed to new replies.