Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 21 Specialized Diverge – futureshock topcap?
  • ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Anyone happen to have a Specialized Diverge with the Futureshock 1.5? Just taken delivery of mine and it’s come with a pack of 3 springs, which makes me suspect nothing’s been fitted yet, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to get the stem/topcap off.

I’ve loosened the stem bolts, but there’s no bolt in the topcap, which makes me think it’s just a plug, but the stem’s not moving upwards at all, even with some gentle persuasion with a rubber mallet from below. Supplied manual offers no guidance.

Any clues?

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Me!

It just unscrews – put your palm on it and twist. It’s got a threaded boss on the bottom. Should only be “finger” tight and the collar does the headset tension on the FS1.5

Previously they came fitted with the medium spring, but my replacement cartridge had the three springs separate. Seems to be the way they come know, so good job you spotted!

A

orangeboy
    Free Member

It should have a spring in it already if it was a full bike.
    What happens when you press down on the bars ?

And yes as above top cap unscrews

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yep, they should…..but this isn’t the first I’ve heard of them coming in the bag and not fitted. Same with my Sirrus X – not fitted!

A

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Thanks folks – after a further experimental fiddle, I managed to unscrew it. Depressing the futureshock seemed to ease off the tension in the topcap and made it relatively simple to unscrew; prior to that, it wasn’t for budging.

Upon removal of the topcap, it turns out there was no spring fitted – should the spring be greased before fitting? Manual doesn’t really give much info.

Kuco

It should have a spring in it already if it was a full bike.

My Roubaix never came with one fitted. If you have 3 in the bag that came with the bike one is definitely not fitted. Not uncommon for them not to be fitted. Specialized needs to make it clear to dealers to check one is fitted.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yep, grease it! Just a thin coating should do – been using some slick honey on mine (all I hand to hand!)

A

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘21 Specialized Diverge – futureshock topcap?’ is closed to new replies.