Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 20mm maxle pikes problem
  • teenrat

I’ve not had a 20mm maxle before and have encountered a problem whilst trying to build it up. I have a hope hub and 454 pikes running a 203 rotor. However, the rotor bolt heads foul the pikes lower and the disc rubs the brake adaptor. Am I missing something? The hub has black bits (not sure what they are called- are these 20mm adaptors?) on each side, the one on the disc side is shorter. I thought it would be easy to set up but I am either very stupid or there is something wrong with hub. Help please!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t have my bike to hand so can’t have a look to see what my spacers are like. Doors the tyre look central in the brace? You could try just swapping the spacers round to see how the wheel sits. Fwiw I haven’t had this problem with my pro2 with Lyriks or pikes.

br
    Free Member

tbh I thought the 20mm ‘spacers’ were identical, at least they are on my (many) Hope Pro2 wheels. They’re attached with large circlips.

Are the bits all s/h?

patriotpro
    Free Member

As b r and that other lad says… 😉

Can you post a pic u teen rat?

fivespot
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the pre Pro 2 hubs, which I think were the Bulb hubs. They had unequal length 20mm adapters. Try swapping them around, I think they are just pushed in, with the grip of an ‘O’ ring to hold them 😉

teenrat

The non disc side spacer is about 6 mm shorter than the disc side. Yes, the hub and pikes are secondhand. Once the disc is on the hub, there isn’t much spacer protruding beyond the rotor bolt heads, maybe 6-7mm. The wheel was just bought as a stopgap until i get a new pair of wheels and it is an early hope hub. I’ll try swapping the spacers over.

tandemwarriors

As said above, depends on what hub you’ve got, but on the Big ‘Un on the tandem the spacers are slightly different lengths – longest one goes on the disc side.

Rob

nosedive
    Free Member

to get the spacers out you need to remove the circlip first. hard to describe but easy to do…basically there is a circular piece of metal holding them in, one end is slightly protuding, push that back gently with a little screwdriver

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘20mm maxle pikes problem’ is closed to new replies.