Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 2,049 days.
  • cyclingwilly
    Free Member

Today, I managed to get a short ride out, only 7.5 miles and it took just under an hour and it was rather warm, 26 degrees, so I wasn’t going to go mad, but, to me, it was a release of freedom. The last time I had a ride out, was 9th September 2012, yes, that long!  With ill health, injuries, personal problems and medication that I shouldn’t have been taking, I’ve finally broken the spell and I feel like crying.

I’m now home, had a shower and am enjoying a hot coffee, I’m still buzzing and euphoric, wow, I feeeeeell good.  Due to stress, caused by a coniving and deceitful female, I was put on statins, anti-depressants, two different heart tablets and other stuff, I’ve felt very low and pained for so long, I cannot remember when I wasn’t suffering.  You might not believe me, but on Sunday, I was curled up on my girlfriends bed, in a great deal of pain and contemplating my future, I felt like I didn’t have one, I wasn’t interested in staying alive another day.

I decided that I couldn’t let my life have been a waste, I decided to act, I went online to have a look at the side effects of my medication,  I listed my meds and doses, did a great deal of research and realised that the meds I was taking, was causing me a lot more harm than good. When I got home, I sorted through my tablets and put the ones I was going to keep taking and were necessary into a dossett box. On Monday morning, I contacted my doctors and requested a phonecall appointment.  A few hours later, he duly called and I informed him of the meds that I was no longer going to take, I have to say, he is a cracking doctor and he asked if he could call me back in an hour after he’d looked at my records. In an hour, he duly called and requested that if I was going to stop them, if I felt unwell, I should start taking  them again, if I was OK without them, I had to get a blood test after two weeks and make an appointment to see him, I agreed, booked an appointment and blood test.

Here I am, on the fifth day without the medication that I felt was damaging me, I have no pains anywhere, except for the pains in my back, that were caused by a fall over ten years ago, the pains that were crippling me and leaving me curled up in a ball, have gone.  The nausea and sickness is no more and I’m sleeping on a night, but the best result, my mood has improved no end, hence the ride out today.

No more statins, Napoxen, Duloxetene or Omeprazole for me, the stuff that was supposed to make me feel better and give me a quality of life has gone, if your taking them, have a good search on the internet, your eyes will be opened greatly.  If you ask your doctor if he would take statins if he or she had to, they’d unanimously say “No”!

Take care everyone.

Alan.

breadcrumb

Not much to say but 👍. Sounds like you’ve found a great turning point.

Poopscoop

Alan, it can sound like a short journey in just as few paragraphs but reading between the lines it sounds like you have endured am an experience that many could not.

Let this sunny day and this first ride be a new beginning.😃

Take care of yourself buddy and enjoy learning to enjoy life again.

flange
    Free Member

Well done chap, had something very similar up until recently and that first ride back is like a breath of fresh air. Enjoy….and get back out tomorrow!

Kryton57

Good for you op!!

belugabob
    Free Member

Sounds like you’ve replaced bad medication with a better one – cycling.

Great to hear that you’ve turned a corner – now keep pedalling and see where the road takes you.

Clover

Hurray for riding! Not sure about the others but I’ve heard that statins can have some bad side effects for some people – and for quite marginal reductions in risk. If you do start feeling bad I’d be reaching for the other things first…

Well done, and good luck.

llama

Like button

cyclistm
    Free Member

Like.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Sounds like you have taken a new route at a crossroads, well done and good luck!

alpin
    Free Member

👍

Feel good story …

Have always said that meds are not an answer to a problem, they just mask the problem.

colournoise

sparkyrhino

Good on you lad 👍🏼

chevychase

I’ve heard that 50% of patients give up on statins after 9-12 months and that of them more than half state pains caused by the drugs.

Either way – glad you enjoyed the ride! Keep it up! 🙂

senorj

bravo.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Good work matey. Welcome back to the fold.

BigJohn

That’s excellent,  OP.   More people should become experts on their own conditions.

But bad reactions to meds  are in the minority.   A year ago I turned from  a 63 year old taking no tablets to one who took 2 blood pressure pills,  a statin and glucosamine and chondroitin for my ankles.  Zero side effects.  No pains and loads of energy.   I know some people suffer,  but not everybody.

scaled
    Free Member

Chapeau sir! That was quite a cocktail you were on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘2,049 days.’ is closed to new replies.