Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • 2022 Album of the year??
  • tenfoot

That Daniel Avery album (Ultra Truth) is ace. Some nice tracks on there with Lone Swordsman, which is dedicated to Andrew Weatherall, being the highlight for me.

On the same day that was released, so was Palomino by First Aid Kit. Some nice tunes on there too. Probably their best album to date. We are off to see them live in December.

lister

Time to Burn : Ultrabomb
    Decomposed: Blind Eye
    Woman on the Internet: Orla Gartland

Ultrabomb is a ‘super group’ comprising ex-members of Hüsker Dü, The Mahones and the UK Subs. It’s a fun bit of punkpoprock.

CountZero

Thank fudge, there’s still folk who listen to new music!

It’s almost an obsession, finding new music, but at the same time I keep re-discovering old music that I’d forgotten or just hadn’t listened to for a long while.
    An example is the new release of Revolver – the use of technology developed by Peter Jackson has allowed Giles Martin to go further than just cleaning up the existing four-track masters, or however many there were, they’ve been able to isolate every individual part of Ringo’s drums, and bring the drums further forward in the mix, for one example. It’s also shown that ‘Yellow Submarine’ was actually a Lennon song about his childhood, and developed into a song for children sung by Ringo.
    It’s a superb piece of work.

Trying to pick a best of album for any particular year I find almost impossible – there’s usually a number of albums I love, and I really don’t want to have to choose between them. I’ll look back and see if I can at least make a short short-list

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ElShalimo

I agree it’s very hard to reduce it down to just one and was expecting people to post shortlists.

I’ve not bought much new music this year. I was looking at some CDs earlier thinking they were from this year but they’re from 2021 e.g. Delta Kream by Black Keys

vazaha

My vote goes to Marxist Love Disco Ensemble – Topic

ElShalimo

thanks, I quite like that

ElShalimo

6Music albums of the year are being announced now

I’ll listen to anything as long as it’s not Mary Anne Hobbs’ recommendation of an aural journey across a dystopian sonic landscape (or as I call it 10:30-13:00 Mon-Fri)

sillyoldman

Nina Anastasia – Riderless Horse
    Bill Callahan – Reality

alanf
    Free Member

Return of the dream canteen – a return to form for RHCP

ElShalimo

BBC Radio 6 Music’s Album Of The Year 2022

1. Kendrick Lamar – Mr Morale & The Big Steppers
    2. Yard Act – The Overload
    3. Kae Tempest – The Line Is A Curve
    4. Charlotte Adigéry & Bolis Pupul – Topical Dancer
    5. Wet Leg – Wet Leg
    6. Warmduscher – At The Hotspot
    7. Fontaines D.C. – Skinty Fia
    8. Danger Mouse & Black Thought – Cheat Codes
    9. Arctic Monkeys – The Car
    10. Gwenno – Tresor
    doris5000

that’s a very 6 music list. Interesting to see Kendrick at the top – haven’t listened to that yet! Most of the rest I feel I can safely ignore. Despite being a regular 6 music listener…

doris5000

Anyway – stuff I have rated this year:

Soccer 96 – Inner Worlds. Epic synths and live drums. Betamax is one of the best drummers around IMO

Russian Circles – Gnosis. Somewhere between Mogwai and Pantera. Massive shoegazey sludge riffs

Hannah Peel & Paraorchestra – The Unfolding – just really great. Hannah Peel is awesome

Sampa the Great – As Above, So Below. Why are the most interesting UK rappers all female at the moment?

doris5000

Turns out Sampa the Great isn’t a UK rapper at all. Shows how much i know

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Dreadnoughts – Roll & Go
    Off! – Free LSD
    Witch Fever – Congregation
    Dub War – Westgate Under Fire

The 2022 mix of Dead Kennedys – Fresh Fruit is worth a shout too…

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s been a good year for new music (for me at any rate).

Difficult to choose the best but:
    Growing up – The Linda Lindas (if the cd had the Moxie tracks I’d go for this)
    Wet Tennis – Sofi Tukker (Mon Cherí and Original sin for sure)
    Motomami – Rosalía (La Fama definitely on the most played tracks of the year for me)

Honourable mentions:

Versions of a modern performance – Horsegirl
    Squeeze – Sasami (who could resist a track called feminine water turmoil, cmon!)
    Two ribbons – Let’s eat grandma
    Cool it down – yeah yeah yeahs
    Born pink… (yup, I have no shame)

Also want to include NewJeans (Attention one my fave videos for sure) but they’ve just an EP…

Also Bad Bunny collab with Bomba Estéreo Ojitos Lindos but one track does not a double album make. Maybe when I’ve listened to it (Un verano sin ti) more…

I’ll listen to anything as long as it’s not Mary Anne Hobbs’ recommendation of an aural journey across a dystopian sonic landscape (or as I call it 10:30-13:00 Mon-Fri)

I can agree.

And to add to that, I’d rather shove hot needles under my fingernails than listen to a Kae Tempest album

Kuco

Mines been Drif by Heilung.

theotherjonv

Pure Particles by The Bug Club was released in Nov 2021 but I only heard it in 2022 so maybe that, or Wet Leg.

Bug Club Green Dream in F# was released this year – it’s not as immediate as PP but still very good. But for me the Intellectuals EP (is that the same as a mini album?) is the winner for release of the year, especially part 4 (it’s a single track / 5 song thing). Watching the delight on their faces as the crowd sang their song back to them was without doubt my musical highlight of the year. Part 4 starts at 7 mins……

CountZero

Out of the 6Music list, my pick is Gwenno, I really like her albums, the fact that she sings mostly in Cornish I think is wonderful.

doom_mountain

Horace Andy – Midnight Rocker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhvh-aSR72I

The return of one of my favorite reggae artists, his voice still sounds amazing for a 71 year old! Might not be the ‘best’ album of the year but it’s the one I’ve listened to most.

Honourable mention to Sally Shapiro – Sad Cities. Just lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MilxX0ZZqHA

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I tried to like Mary Anne Hobbs no. 1 of the year – Special Interest… but its just meh. I’m sure they’re fun live, but just all a bit heard-it-all-before for me.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Don’t know about best but the latest Melvins record is very good.
    I’ve checked out a few of the above-listed, there’s very little that doesn’t sound conservative or derivative to my admittedly jaded and noise-damaged ears. (edit1: excepting Meshuggah, but I preferred the previous record, primarily because of better production / edit2: Mars Volta played a blinder with the new record, but I’ve never really been into what they do, fully respect their coming back with something so different though)

I would have said that my band’s new record is bestest, but it’s been pushed back to Feb 2023. Why is there no Best of 2023 thread yet? STW forum’s a-slacking.

robvalentine

Either Fontanes DC – Skinty Fa or Deathcrash – return

didnthurt

Wet Leg is quite good.

As is Blue Lullaby by Wolf Alice.

honourablegeorge

If (liek me) you want to try some of this stuff, here’s a playlist I put together while reading this thread, not everything, but I added a bunch of albums that people seemed to agree on.

cheese@4p

Fantastic Negrito – White Jesus Black Problems

Thanks for that jca, great watch – highly recommended

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.