Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2021 Epic or Epic Evo – real world experience?
  • Premier Icon slowboydickie

I am looking at buying a 2021 Epic or Epic Evo. Has anyone got the Epic expert or pro model? I am wondering how reliable the fork and rear brains are. The 2018-2020 model had quite a few issues with unreliability.

If the brain is activated by a bump does this mean the first bump feel like on a rigid? Can you pump or preload the suspension?

Cheers
    Rich

Premier Icon mccraque

The 21 Evo doesn’t have the Brain!

Premier Icon IA

I am looking at buying a 2021 Epic or Epic Evo.

Can you actually buy one? There’s basically no stock.

Premier Icon slowboydickie

The 21 Evo doesn’t have the Brain!

Yep, deciding between brain or no-brain. Geometry not dissimilar. I’d like the brain but not if it is much more harsh and breaks down a lot.

Can you actually buy one? There’s basically no stock.

Yes, in my size I can get a Epic Evo Comp or Epic Pro.

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

I have a 2020 Epic Evo with the brain.
    There is an initial clunk when the brain goes active, but then as long as the bumps keep coming it stays active. Notice it most when climbing and some on the flat, but not descending. You can moderate the klunk by setting the compression to a softer setting.
    It is an absolute flyer and it’s perfect for riding here on the south downs.
    I have tho had the shock replaced under warranty, the Brain was no longer locking out. That took a couple of months which was frustrating.

Not sure whether the 2021MY has a different brain design and similar reliability issues. So i guess your choice is driven by the kind of riding you do, and whether the brain is an essential for you.

Thanks chaps. I decided to go with the Evo because it is one thing less to go wrong and these days warranty claims can take months.

Premier Icon bridges
    Free Member

The Epic Evo is a bike I’m considering (if there’s ever any stock…), so I’m also interested in anyone’s long term experiences of one.

The 2018-2020 model had quite a few issues with unreliability.

In what way?

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

@slowboydickie – Good call, enjoy!

Premier Icon large418
    Free Member

My 2018 Epic rear brain shock stopped locking out – I think that is maybe the “reliability issue”. However this does make it active all the time, so any clonks disappear.

I have found that if the shock is pumped up to the recommended pressure there isn’t a clonk, but if the pressure drops then the clonk starts reappearing. I don’t find it an issue though and the bike is rocket ship fast.

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

@large418 How are you setting your shock pressures? Using the autosag it feels a little hard and only 15ish% sag, and I’m not getting full travel on some quite lumpy descents (but no jumps). So I’m reducing pressure gradually till I get to a place that feels good.

That “not locking out” thing is what happened with my shock, but it also made an awful squishy noise.

They are indeed rocket ship fast.

Premier Icon Stiggy

I had a 2019 Epic, tbh I didn’t like the Brain, I found the clunk disconcerting…but the bike was quick. I now have a 21 Epic Evo and I can honestly say its the best bike I’ve owned for my riding… just overpriced.

Premier Icon bridges
    Free Member

The last time I rode a bike with a ‘Brain’ shock was an original Epic, way back 16, 17 years or so ago? It felt like a hardtail, then would suddenly give if it hit a bump. A bike shop had a ‘demonstrator’ of the Brain, which showed how it basically worked on a certain velocity threshold; if you moved it quick enough, you could see the little valve thing open. Can’t remember it exactly. I do remember that I wasn’t keen, based only on a short ’round the block’ test ride. I found a proper lockout to be better, personally (although you do forget to unlock it of curse…). I think I’d rather have something less complicated though really.

Premier Icon large418
    Free Member

@susepic- I started setting it using the instructions on the shock body – pump to 350 psi and then set the sag with the silver release valve. Then after the 1st shock “failed” I read the manual (download from the Spesh website) and it said that the correct method was to pump up to (I think it said 275psi (for my weight of 72kg)) and then set the sag. Both have worked (and I did wonder whether the 350 psi pressure contributed to the shock failing – in the Spesh manual it says “do not exceed 350 psi”).

If the shock does start clonking I know it needs pumping up again

Premier Icon RamseyNeil

Sounds like a no brainer .

Premier Icon susepic
    Free Member

@large418 – Thanks, sounds like you have a different model shock, mine says to inflate to 300 psi before using autosag. A couple of youtubes say give it twice your kilo weight which is pretty spot on to the autosag.

I’ll give it a go 10psi higher and lower and see where that nets me out sag and feel wise.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.