Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • 2020 XC Training & Racing thread
  • Kryton57

Well, here we are again!   What are you racing in 2020 and whats occurring currently?

Me – well its the usual Scott Marathons but I’m entering the National 12h at 24/12 after accidentally ending up at the front last year.

Training has already started but after a heart to heart with my coach prompted by weight gain and power loss I’m now on a traditional rather than reversed plan, with weekly MTB rides scheduled in.   Since the beginning of November there’s been lots of fasted Z2, with a fat-use strategy and mitochondria development supported by a low carb/high protein diet in the main.   With no commute I’m managing 1000km’s a month and have lost 3.5KG to date – so a good start.

I rode the recent/second Brass Monkeys last week as a Z2 exercise.  It was fun pootling around but despite the deliberate lack of pace it ended predominantly Z3! Recovery was fast which was a good sign.

Onwards we go.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Puffer next week. Just did my last big training session (basically an FTP test) this morning, an MTB ride on Sunday then I kick back for a week.

I’m doing it as a 4. They aren’t taking it as seriously as me but I want to see what I can do (which is probably not much).

mattbee

(Hope) Mountain Marathons at Builth and Minehead.
    Maybe some of the Southern XC rounds, certainly have Mattersley in the diary.
    I’m among mainly for the 7hr solo at Torque in your sleep and also Big Dog though so the short track xc is likely to be more steady pace in open/fun cat just to get some circuit racing in.

Yak

Just some races for fun. Southern XC, Big Dog, maybe try an (easier) enduro or 2. Not training as I will only get ill as usual in the winter.
    Using the bikepark more though.

stabilizers

Doing the SXC series as well as organising one (won’t be riding that though). GT7 solo is a target event. Toying with the idea of one of the MTB marathons series. Likely to be Race for Charlie if any. Are they any good? Its a significant distance for me.
    Bound to do a couple of Enduro’s like POC Scottish series as well.
    Training going well with new coach. Not been blowing sessions like I did last year. Lots of gym and more gym which feels good.
    Looking forward to a good season.

plop-pants
    Free Member

Making a return to XC racing after some 25 years doing just ‘cross. Not giving ‘cross up but want to do more than spend the summer doing the same old roadie runs every weekend. The last time I raced XC I was on a rigid Klein Attitude, now I’m on a Spark RC World Cup! I’m also in the V60 category so its all about fun and making some new friends. MSG is my main aim but hope to do some NPS XC and the odd marathon if I can fit it all in.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Smashy McSmashface on the turbo followed by Dyfi winter Warmer, Monster Cross (3hr CX race), Hit The North VII, Dyfi Enduro, Crank-it XC series, Manchester Mid-Week Series, Ruthin Marathon, Mayhem 24hr team – aiming to go better than 5th overall last year, 24:12 either 12hr solo or 12hr pairs – of the latter, aiming to improve on 2nd place last year.

Rounded off with summer hols, then Smashy McSmashface turbo until CXand maybe a return to 24hr in 2021

……… and breath 🤣🤣🤣

windyg
    Free Member

Biggest goal is not to get injured yet again.

Thetford winter series round 3 on Sun
    Lanzarote in 2 weeks for the 4 stage marathon.
    Midlands XC
    Mud Sweat & Gears series.
    A few rounds of the Nationals
    Brighton Big dog
    Oct to Spain for a 3 day marathon
    And whatever else myself or the team find to do.

BenjiM

Hit The North, Monster Cross and MBO Scores. Plus I’m organising the BMBO Nationals weekend in the lakes/Dale’s, yaya!

Lankysprinter
    Free Member

Do any of you Manchester folk know what night the Manchester series is on usually? Or if details are out for 2020?
    Thanks

Kryton57

Lanzarote in 2 weeks for the 4 stage marathon

I need to look into that for 2021!   I just noticed Torq in your sleep is a week after I return from Hols, so I just added 12 solo to my list.

Kryton57

Actually I have a question;  how do you cope with “down time” close to races?   Most of my long Slow training will be done by April of course when I’ll be well into Sweet Spot and HIT, but I have a fair bit of overseas travel between events this year, when’s I’ll return within 2 weeks / 10 days from the event.

Of those, 2 are holidays within which I’d like to relax, have a few beers and not be counting calories.  My job demands a relief from the stress of it all as well.

So, is it a case of reaping what you sow and either being an stalwart athlete or letting go for a week, what do other people do?   My main worry is that it’s long slow Z2’s that reduce my weight so without these plus added beer & food my weight could shoot up.

teamslug
    Free Member

Kielder Chiller solo singlespeed, Hit the North, Hammers 8 hour, Dyfi Enduro, Mountain Mayhem solo, Scott Marathon at Hope, UKSS 2020. Only a V50 ‘ making up the numbers’ rider but always try my hardest and really enjoy the camerardie of the mid pack suffering on longer events and I need a fullish calendar to keep me training.

manilow
    Free Member

Hi all, my plans this year are doing the SXC series for the first time and am currently starting a 6 week prep training plan.

Thoughts on bikes for this series? Have got a 2014 Camber Carbon which has 110mm travel front and rear so thinking just use this? Or do I NEED to buy a carbon hardtail? How technical will it be? Am comfortable on trail centre reds but at my own pace so don’t want to be flapping in a race situation.

I race cross so am familiar with format/efforts etc – my queries for XC are more around course technicality and equipment.

Show us/tell us yer bikes you’ll be using this year for inspiration!

mcvittees
    Free Member

I’m buying a house and have got a much busier role at work, which tells me adding any goal other than entering races would be too much stress. As such I’m just going to do the MSG series and Beastway with goal of smashing out a hard ride. After that (end of July) it’ll just be long club rides in the sun. Bit bored of training to be race fit from January – September.

mattbee

Bike wise I’ve actually gone the other way. Was on a carbon hardtail (Cube Reaction GTC with Fox 32sc) but have gone for a 110/120mm fs instead.

I managed the SDW in a day on the hardtail with no problems but I wanted to consoling bike fleet somewhat.

It’s obviously a bit heavier (11.6kg rather than 10.3kg) but has a dropper and is more comfortable.
    Climbs and descends better on the more technical stuff but still cruises on the flat alright. (Always got the lockout on the shock/forks if I want.)

Biggest pain is only having one bottle cage mount. I’ve started varying a soft bottle in a jersey pocket though which works pretty well as I just quickly fill my main bottle when it’s empty.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Training camp.
    Southern XC.
    Stage race.
    Exposure.
    Big Dog.
    Torq in your sleep.

Hopefully no fing injuries this year! 😬

Kryton57

Thoughts on bikes for this series? Have got a 2014 Camber Carbon which has 110mm travel front and rear so thinking just use this? Or do I NEED to buy a carbon hardtail? How technical will it be? Am comfortable on trail centre reds but at my own pace so don’t want to be flapping in a race situation.

As its your first season I’d stick with the Camber and make a decision after that.   You could ride pretty much any event down south on a Carbon hardtail, but IMHO racing effort levels exaggerate any level of discomfort – its very much YMMV.  The Camber is probably a little heavy as is.

If you really want a Carbon HT and are a Large, I have one in the classifieds at a budget price… 🙂

Garry_Lager

Hit The North, Monster Cross and MBO Scores. Plus I’m organising the BMBO Nationals weekend in the lakes/Dale’s, yaya!

Where do you do your MBO @benjiM? I always used to do a couple per year but dark and white have stopped putting them on in the Peak. Wouldn’t mind travelling to some this year as a way to get on the MTB some more.
    I’ve had to start wearing reading glasses this year – on the way to being one of those arl fellas who asks for a big map 🙂

manilow
    Free Member

Cheers Kryton57! Yes I think I’ll see do the first couple and see how the bike and me handle.

Will also perverse the classifieds….

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

As one of the organisers of the SouthernXC I always love this annual thread!

MTB Racing (particularly XC) certainly seems to be in a healthier place compared to 4 or 5 years and long may it last.

Hopefully there are some of you out there with kids who fancy giving it a try, but are possibly a bit daunted by the prospect of lining up in the Youth or Juvenile categories with a load of mini Nino’s, with this in mind we are continuing with Fun/Beginner races for 13-16 years old as well as adults, this started last year with good success so hopefully it’ll continue this year.

For more info about categories just click the below link
    https://eventrexuk.com/southernxc/southernxc-categories-schedule

Expect more of the fast flowy course that aren’t World Cup technical but certainly get harder and harder as the speed goes up.

Any queries, questions or suggestions please leave a message here as I’ll check back as often as I can or drop me a mail to adam@eventrexuk.com

Good luck to all of you, regardless of what your season entails!

ferrals
    Free Member

Hoping to do some of the Welsh series but dates/venues haven’t been announced yet and my diary is already filling up quite a bit; of the two that are already on BC I know I can’t do one of them. Can’t see me doing any nationals as nothing close enough to be doable in a day.

Not XC but I’ve got Battle on the Beach and Battle in the Bowl lined up so will get my racing fix even if the Welsh series doesnt align.

ferrals
    Free Member

As if they heard my plea.. 🙂

I’m hoping round 1 in FoD will get the series off to a bang since recently entries in Wales have been low but given FoD is borderland it should pull in a few entries from that there England.

mccraque

I raced the Brass Monkeys Last week and am planning on the 3rd race a week Sunday.
    Big Dog is always in the calendar
    hopefully some of the Hope Marathon Series – really enjoyed that last year…. but more so my son loved the kids skills training. Will try and make a family weekend for at least one of the rounds.

Bit of a naff start to the year with injuries though. Need to get an arthritic toe sorted out, and potentially the achilles on the other foot. And also was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both arms last week. Being 44 really sucks. Based on that – I have no expectations from 2020… any event I do manage is a bonus. but probably it’s time to reduce some of the existing ailments…

BenjiM

@garry_lager Typically I’ve always done NYMBO and West Coast in the winter but not in the last couple of years due to family stuff. Midlands MBO put on some good events as well as Black Mountains MBO, but that’s a bit of track for me, although there’s some cracking riding.

Calendar here : https://www.bmbo.org.uk/calendar/

steve_b77
    Free Member

Do any of you Manchester folk know what night the Manchester series is on usually?

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or a Saturday?

Kryton57

Crikey.  Currently in the -20 to -30 TSB bracket and just received my plan to mid Feb (before a US work trip interlude) to maximise Training stress and adaptions.   I’ll now be climbing hills for 4hrs a week with 4hrs of Z2 for endurance on top, and I’ve been told to “Race” the next Brass Monkeys with no expectation on results or performance.   Just as well, I’ll be half asleep…

mcvittees
    Free Member

Presumably that’ll be Alp du Zwift ‘cause that’s a lot of reps of Mott St! 😊

Kryton57

Well, its 40-60 minute intervals at 50rpm just below threshold.  Ouch.

Kryton57

Whoop!  Appropriately spaced FTP test and up >4% Happy with that.

mcvittees
    Free Member

50 rpm – ouchy! Nice bump! 🙂

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I probably ought to do some training as I seem to have entered battle on the beach.

I probably won’t do much training and just bimble around in the GV class!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Have formulated a simple training plan for this season. Lots of climbing!
    Ramping from around 3000m/wk at the moment to 7000m/wk in May in order to be as good as possible for the Alps Epic mtb stage race in June.
    No idea how well this training will go but looks like an interesting challenge.
    Rest week every 4th week and every week also includes 2 Pilates classes and 1-2 short but brutal spin classes.
    Targeting the southern xc series along the way to give me some short term goals but not letting up on the training for them. Managed to win the singlespeed class of the last brass monkeys on the final day of a two week block of flat endurance riding (32hrs in 2 weeks!), so ‘training through’ works well enough for me.

alwillis

Dropped in here to try and find some motivation/ events to inspire me and saw the MBO stuff mentioned… 5 mins on google later I’m eyeing up one a month from March to October!

Looks to be a good series in South Wales, plus the Bacup one is near my parents and I used to ride Lee Quarry a lot, so would be nice to head back there and see if I’m still as fit 10 years on (doubtful!)

In terms of training it looks like I’m about to start riding the MTB again more, also do CrossFit a couple of times a week, and a bit of running when away with work.

richardk
    Free Member

Not sure what I want to do this year, for various reasons I’m not going to be able to make most of the Southern XC series that I did last year.

I’ve entered for HONC and may do the White Roads Class (I know, neither of them are races).

I’m looking at https://hammers8.com/ as something different, potentially one of the Marathon series as well (likely Minehead).

Oh and training?  Sufferfest ToS coming up soon, then aiming to stick to 4-5 sessions per week after that, supplemented with weekly (road) club ride.

richardk
    Free Member

Hammers 8 now entered as solo rider, going to use HONC as a practice run for pacing/eating/arse resilience

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ooooh just what I’m looking for, might enter that

starrman82
    Free Member

Just Noticed that two of the Scott MTB Marathon date clash with SXC’s , that’s areal shame…

mick_r

Anyone heard whispers of when (and where) the XC National Champs will be? Can’t find anything on BC and trying to get summer hols booked. Kids are happy that Dalby and Glentress are back on this year.

robowns
    Free Member

Presumably that’ll be Alp du Zwift ‘cause that’s a lot of reps of Mott St! 😊

I bloody hate Mott St.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘2020 XC Training & Racing thread’ is closed to new replies.