Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2020 Trek Fuel Ex 8 and 9.7
  • haggis1978

Looking for some real world opinions on these bikes please. Angles look good, as does the travel for a decent all round trail bike. Is the 9.7 worth the extra cash. Not too fussed about having a carbon frame to be fair but I do like the green and yellow-ish paint job. Anything I need to be aware of? I know the knock block can be awkward for transporting the bike in the back of a car. Anything else? How does the press fit BB last?

Trimix
    Free Member

My wife just got one.
    On her first ride she said it was quick. She also said it made her want to ride it faster and faster. Following her I noticed the pace was quicker and she was also faster on the techy bits. Which fits in with her commenting that it gave her more confidence.

She used to ride a FS Scott and before that a HT Trek.

So if you want a trail capable racing XC bike, then go for it.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

I have a lot of treks over the years, admittedly the last ones I had were 2018, I found the bb very very low, but they may have improved that now….one thing to mention, the rear suspension set up is mega plush!

bowglie

I recently got a 2020 EX8 to replace my 2019 EX9.9 custom build that got pinched.  So far I’ve been really impressed with the 8, especially for the money (negotiated a bit a money off list!). Only mods I’ve made to the 8 are some lighter wheels – and that was only because I’d got some old ones in the shed.  Drivetrain, fork, brakes and handlebar on the 8 all feel absolutely great, and nothing I’ll be rushing to swap.

I actually prefer the lower spec shock and ride of the aluminium frame on the 8, as the middle ‘trail’ setting works really well.  OK, the 8 is not quite as zippy and XC feeling on flatter singletrack trails, but I think some of this is down to a 3lb weight difference between the 8 and my 9.9, and the stiffer frame on the latter – swapping to the lighter wheels on the 8 has improved things though.

Point the new EX8 downhill though and it’s proper quick – definitely a step up in confidence from last years model…and that thing was fast.  To put things into context, I also have a Cotic RocketMAX (not longshot version) built up burly for more ‘Enduro’ type riding, 150mm Fox36, Cane Creek shock etc.  The new EX8 feels so much more confidence inspiring, and it just seems really well balanced and easy to ride fast.  I can see the Cotic getting sold!

The main negative I’ve noticed on the 2020 EX is the lack of clearance between chain and chainstay in higher gears.  I’ve haven’t dropped the chain yet, but it really slaps on the stay when landing jumps or on rough ground.  The Bontrager dropper is ok, but a bit more susceptible to mud than some droppers, so needs a bit more TLC (top tip, fit a £10 ‘post fender’ dropper mudguard).

The lighter wheels are a great upgrade, and if I was in your position, I’d get the 8 and spend the money saved on some lighter wheels (can recommend Just Riding Along Traildog wheels).

HTH

haggis1978

Cheers for that folks. Exactly what i wanted to hear and what my wife won’t want to hear. Big compliment that your going to sell the Cotic Bowglie. I did see that about the chainstay right enough. So who bought the GX version and who bought the XT?

bowglie

No worries bud. I got the GX and it’s good, but my Mrs recently got a new bike with SLX 12 speed and it feels a bit more refined – much lighter shift action. Imagine the XT is better still.

No probs with the bottom bracket BTW.

ampthill

I have an ancient Fuel ex (2010?)

It’s due (over due) to be replaced. Is the Fuel ex still a versatile bike people for who pedal. Single track, trail centres, Bridleways (some boring). Or is to much bike for that

Will it bob less than my old bike pedalling? I have my rp2 in firm the whole time and it feels a but wasteful uphill. Perhaps worst in the granny ring

ElVino

Only relevant to your pressfit question rather than current model but I have the 2017 9.7ex 29er and the bottom bracket has been faultless, in fact the whole bike is. I think it is a perfect bike for all round. For me I can ride fast in my regular riding spots – Swinley and Surrey Hills or even Chiltern bridleways but copes well with a trip to BPW or Afan. If I leaned towards the latter I would consider a Remedy.

haggis1978

I’m looking at it because it is a very versatile bike. There are some good reviews online so check them out. Goes uphill and downhill very well is the gist of it. So much has changed regarding suspension kinematics so I am sure the new bike will be leagues ahead of your current bike.

ampthill

Cheers haggis. Happy to hear from others as well

bowglie

Quick update on my 2020 EX8. So far I’ve only used the bike on trail centre stuff, but I took it for a loop around my favourite ‘test loop’ in the Peak District yesterday. Couple of classic Hope Valley descents and a bit of cheeky steep stuff in the woods (a bit like some 5he off piste Tweed Valley stuff). Really impressed with how the bike performed. Kept it in trail for the climbs to keep uncle bob under control – don’t know if it’s the steeper seat angle, but it climbs as well as my 2019 EX9.9, and way better than my Cotic.  Stuck the shock in open for the rough descents and I was very impressed, again, it’s quicker downhill than the Cotic even though that has got 10mm more travel at both ends.

The XR4 tyres are a bit ‘interesting’ on really steep & damp rooty off-piste stuff, but I stayed upright without too much drama.

I think Trek have really come up with a peach of trail bike with this one, and it’s a double thumbs up from me🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I have 2017 9.7 as said above best EX I have owned great all round bike can do the runs and jumps down the Forest Of Dean fine yet ride the ridgeway quite happily excellent bike mind what is a mega beast is the new slash 8 that is something else knocks the spots of the remedy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2020 Trek Fuel Ex 8 and 9.7’ is closed to new replies.