Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2020 Specialized Levo Comp or Trek Rail 7/9
  • Mintyjim

I’m pretty lucky to be in a position to get either of the three bikes above. I’ve had a 2019 Trek Powerfly LT9 for nearly a year and that’s the only e-bike I’ve ridden.

I love my Powerfly, especially the rear suspension, but I’m yearning for a larger battery to enable a few extra downhill runs.

The Levo Comp and Rail 9 are pretty similarly equiped but the geometry is quite different. They have the same chainstay lengths but the Rail has a slacker h/a, steeper s/a and longer reach.

Trek has a 625wh whilst the Spesh is rocking a 700wh battery!

Slight wild card is the Rail 7, which has the 625wh battery but lower spec, although I have a Charger 2.1 damper, Saint brakes plus new Hunt wheels already so I could spend less and upgrade without spending more money – only problem is that the 7 isn’t available until Feb 2020.

If I went Spesh I’d want to up the fork to 160mm travel… probably.

The draw of a 700wh battery is very strong!

Has anyone tried either of these?

What would you do and why?

Cheers

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The reality is you’ll need to ride them. I would imagine the Bosch on the Rail will be an improvement on the previous Bosch on the Powerfly. The Brose will be different, both in terms of feel and tunability.

z1ppy

I rate the (19/20) levo very highly, & would thoroughly recommend it. Not so much the price, so I’d still be looking for a bargain 2019 with a 700wh battery upgrade.
    I changed from a vitus e-sommet to the levo & for me it was a great upgrade. The extra power of the Brose is great & the larger battery has put the range anxiety demon to bed. The vitus may have been more of a hooligan but the levo hasn’t slowed me down any, but may just suit my riding (& not yours). I probably will try 160mm travel up front at some point, but haven’t felt a need for it yet.

I’ve not looked at the geo, but going by your description, the rail sounds more like the kenovo than the levo. If your looking for an uplift type of bike for more DH runs than trail riding, the levo is very capable but kenovo maybe better (if not even more expensive)

doomanic

Why not just buy another battery?

Mintyjim

I don’t want another battery as a matter of economics. Because I can get the new bike through green commute cycle scheme I’ll save a huge amount, so if I factor what I could sell my powerfly for, consider a £600 spare battery the cost to change to a 2020 model with better battery life is relatively small.

Anyway…thanks Z1ppy, it’s a tough one. It’d be used for BPW, Black mountain, cwmcarn xc and dh plus usual trail centre and xc duties. Don’t want a kenovo, just too much bike!
    I managed both xc tracks and dh at cwmcarn yesterday on the way to Heathrow but had to turn off the motor/use eco/push the last mile to accomplish that!

Bloody difficult to get a proper test ride given where I live in west wales and how little spare time I have.

doomanic

What do you think your Powerfly is actually worth? The ones on eBay don’t seem to be selling at the moment, despite being very keenly priced.

I was in a similar position you, but without the Green Commute advantage, and I’ve gone down the extra battery route; the cost to change was too high. I got my battery for £468 new on eBay.

Mintyjim

I’d hope for about £2k, it’s a 2019 lt9, which would contribute tremendously to a 2020 bike with 40% off.

More on point, has anyone ridden/bought either of these bikes?

Cheers

doomanic

That’s a very realistic price, some folk seem to be under the impression that Ebikes hold their value better than clockwork bikes.

I’ve ridden a 2019 Levo, but not a Rail, yet, so can’t offer a direct comparison. I have ridden the Whyte with the Gen 4 CX motor though and I like it more than the Brose in the Levo. To me, it feels like the old motor, but more efficient.
    It is an unknown though. Of the three Whytes I rode, all sounded different and one of them sounded knackered. All had under 400 miles on the clock.

The Levo is far more tuneable than the Bosch. I don’t mean destriction, I mean changing assist levels to get longer battery life and change how the bike rides. I’m very surprised Bosch didn’t add that level of tune ability to the new motor.

Mintyjim

That’s great feedback, I agree, I can’t believe the lack of interaction on the Bosch system and the huge, clunky display just waiting to be smashed off too!

Just seen the whyte e150s now, that looks perfect for my requirements and Guy Kesteven claims over 60km range which is music to my ears!

Just wish I could do a proper test on the options!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2020 Specialized Levo Comp or Trek Rail 7/9’ is closed to new replies.