Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • 2020 Santa Cruz Hightower unveiled
  • Gachet
    Free Member

It’s more like a Megatower Short Travel:

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Can’t quite see what’s going on with the geometry. It seems to be shorter for a given stack than the old one?

jekkyl

Dadditude?! give me strength.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

^^^ and when you account for steeper ST° and slacker HT° it will be shorter still?

I’m looking specifically at the XL/XXL here. I think I’d have been XXL on the old and XL on the 2020 model given big stack increase for XXL.

tails
    Free Member

Sack the colours guy! Although at least it comes in Alu

rjdmccarthy
    Free Member

Talking about the important stuff; the colours of the new range. Awful, just awful. The plum on the Nomad is ok but the rest are dull as f*ck. The all black Megatower is looking more and more appealing by the day (although I was aiming for a 27.5″).

kiwijohn

Are they just phoning it in these days?

tails
    Free Member

Are they going to make a new tallboy this year?

tdog
    Free Member

Wow! Someone add some salt to that as that is bland.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm..

I like it 🤣🤯

GolfChick
    Free Member

August time apparently for the new tallboy if rumours are to be believed, and I’d believe them seeing as we knew the colours a week ago at least.

russyh
    Free Member

What the hell is going on in the SC cosmetic styling department.  The colours are Ming!  They also (somewhat overshadowed by Ht launch) released the 2020 Bronson colours….OMG absolutely awful.    I can’t believe how a company who used to get that sort of thing so right, have fallen so far up their own arse to now get it so wrong

Obviously all in my opinion

tails
    Free Member

Plus for a premium brand you’ve got orbea offering custom colours, might seem trivial but people are spend big money and want nice paintwork and graphics.

Blackflag
    Free Member

So the previous version had great reviews, but now this is out, its classed as a “dad bike” whatever that is?

the constant push from marketeers to tell you what “was” was crap and what’s “new” is awesome is really tedious.

I like that colour and the bike looks really good. But i thought that about the previous version too.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

HT looks great on paper.. As other thread colours totally uninspiring across the range

Weird they can get it so wrong as somebody else has said above they are usually aesthetically one of the nicest looking bikes out there, and mostly down to the nice paint jobs they have

al2000

Yeah, colours are pretty awful across the board, with the exception of the blue 5010 (although the decal colour is nasty).

Doesn’t look like they are doing any frame only options any more, unless they haven’t fully updated everything yet.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

100% Sure they will do frame only I’d imagine a huge huge huge amount of their sales are frame only

russyh
    Free Member

I like that colour and the bike looks really good

You have definitely not seen the new Bronson colours then…goodness me

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

At Trans Provence 25 of the 95 participants were on megatowers.   Common as muck I tell thee are Santa Cruz

munkyboy
    Free Member

Not outstanding reviews, really heavy for its class, low specification or really spendy. Then there’s the colours. Oops.

Bronson colours are the worst. There isn’t even a reasonable muted one.

Blackflag
    Free Member

You have definitely not seen the new Bronson colours then…goodness me

Taste is such a funny thing. i think the olive green bronson looks great.

russyh
    Free Member

Absolutely, I’m amazed how even a few lack some 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

really heavy for its class

Not really at all, given the spec.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Taste is such a funny thing. i think the olive green bronson looks great.

Yep, me too.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Plus for a premium brand you’ve got orbea offering custom colours, might seem trivial but people are spend big money and want nice paintwork and graphics.

Sorry but are you trying to say Orbea is a premium brand? Because at £2.8k for their cheapest frame only option and their builds being very cheap and having seen one in the flesh I certainly wouldn’t describe it as premium.

chakaping
    Free Member

We should have another thread on what constitutes a premium brand.

I’m not sure I really believe in them personally, or at least I’d say the difference is mainly marketing.

russyh
    Free Member

Great point, what does constitute a premium brand. For me SC is not really premium anymore in anything other than price and customer service.  Too common to be classed as anything other than run of the mill.  Unless we class bike manufacturers as we do cars in which case they would be classed as such, but then So would Orbea likely be.

CheesybeanZ

Dadditude

Someone got paid a lot of money to come up with that .

the00
    Free Member

Disappointed tbh. I was hoping for more tyre clearance and steeper ST.
    Ibis Ripley and Orbea Occam are more appealing ATM.

tails
    Free Member

Sorry but are you trying to say Orbea is a premium brand?

No, I think Santa Cruz are despite being more common, yet that new occam gets custom paint at the top end and polished welds at the lower and you can swap components when specing it. When did SC get sold?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to a 29 5010. 🤞🏼

tomhoward

I’m looking forward to a 29 5010

A tallboy? (Well, the new one)

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So the previous version had great reviews, but now this is out, its classed as a “dad bike” whatever that is?

It’s still a dad bike as dads are 99% of the target market. their kids certainly can’t afford them. But these bike videos are a bit pointless really. These guys could shred a Raleigh Shopper down those trails. Nothing to do with the bike, everything to do with the rider. the last version of the HT was shredded just as well down those trails in the marketing videos released for that bike. If you really want a HT the smart money should be jumping on the outgoing HT as the prices drop to make way for the new one…its just as good for the majority of us normal weekend warriors who can’t ride these bike within 50% of their capability let alone anywhere near the limits. But most of us make emotional choices not smart choices.

Premium brand is one that charges a premium for the brand…so you’re buying a bike that is no better or worse than other cheaper brands but you’re willing to stump put a bit of a premium (or a lot) just for the brand. No different to BMW or Meile or similar brands. So SC definitely sits squarely in that bracket. There are plenty of cheaper brands about making bikes that are every bit as good….but people still come flocking to the premium brands like SC. See comment about emotional choices. If it were not for emotional choices then marketing wouldn’t exist.

devbrix
    Free Member

Spot on Wobbliscott. Having been a stalwart SC owner and dad the last few years and had some great SC bikes I’ve just deserted and ordered a Canyon Spectral and will be selling my 5010 V2 frame (admittedly a recent warranty replacement) because the original 2016 kit is now f**ked and all needs replacing. The Canyon with carbon frame, full XO, carbon bars, cranks and wheels was cheaper than a SC frame on its own and frankly not much more than rebuilding the SC with the same standard kit from a well known online retailer let alone paying twice as much for a complete SC bike for a similar spec. Be interesting to see how they compare as will be very surprised if I get half as good bike for half the price.

chrismac

There is nothing premium about sc anymore. They are mass produced is Asia and are part of one of the biggest brands in the industry. They chose to go mass market which is their choice and has probably made them lots of money do you cant blame them. But that does mean they are no longer premium

ta11pau1

Expensive/extremely poor value for money =/= premium.

£3600 for an aluminium framed bike with Motion control Yari’s? Are you kidding me?

I knew there was a reason I’ve only looked at the Santa Cruz website twice in about 2 years…

Gachet
    Free Member

It looks like they almost copied the Pivot Firebird 29 colour (the only bike ever to look half decent in beige) but those look far nicer to me with the contrasting logos on the frame, forks and wheels all matching.

Whatever happened to the crazy blue and magenta or pink and neon yellow from a few years ago? I loved the look of those with the colour matched ENVEs!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

SC are still premium in terms of quality, despite some Alf Garnettesque types opining about them being ‘made in Asia’ 😂

Probably about the most reliable frames around and a customer service that’s supposedly brilliant too (Never had to use it!)

But haterz gotta moan about something….

tomhoward

My issue with SC isn’t the quality (it’s very good) or the price, (yes they’re expensive, but in the same ball park as other brands with less good reputations *cough* Yeti)

It’s as someone said above, they don’t really seem to be trying anymore*. There’s not been anything really new for ages, even this low mounted shock design can trace its roots to the V10 from a few years ago. Really small evolutions, rather than anything revolutionary.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my v1 5010 and will keep it forever, they just don’t seem to be doing much to move things on at the moment.

*excluding the reserve rims. They’re very good, half the price of enve and don’t seem to have as many ‘issues’, with great backup too.

razorrazoo

It’s as someone said above, they don’t really seem to be trying anymore*. There’s not been anything really new for ages, even this low mounted shock design can trace its roots to the V10 from a few years ago. Really small evolutions, rather than anything revolutionary.

‘Evolution, not revolution…I evolve, but I don’t ‘revolve’…’

But seriously, you must hate most bike brands, the process of design for most is evolution. For SC they are evolving their updated design across the range. If it works well I see no problem with that. I’m struggling to think of a major bike brand which does not work in this way, especially when they have a good platform to work with.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘2020 Santa Cruz Hightower unveiled’ is closed to new replies.