Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • 2020 Pace RC627 – talk to me!
  • Mintyjim

Hi all,
    Sooooo, I pressed a button on one last night. Who’s got one? Tell me about it?!
    Pictures would be great too.
    🙂
    Cheers,
    James

Stigheed

Can’t talk to you about the 2020 model but I do have the 2019 model.

I like it. I like it alot. It’s a really nice looking bike, good, deep paint job, tidy welds and it handles really well. It climbs well, descends fantastically and is comfortable on long distances with much of the trail buzz muted by the steel.

The cable run under the down tube could be a bit tidier and I would have preferred the decals under lacquer but these are small points as I have applied heli tape to the frame anyway. It’s possibly my favourite hardtail and my other bike is a Sonder Signal (which is also a fantastic bike).

Comms with Pace was a bit hit and miss and it took 3 weeks to turn up, other than that the purchase process was ok (it turned up undamaged).

ogden
    Free Member

Comms with Pace was a bit hit and miss and it took 3 weeks to turn up, other than that the purchase process was ok (it turned up undamaged).

This plus past issues with warranty put me off getting the new RC295.

samwilk200
    Free Member

Yes I recently got one, came within 3 days during lockdown and great communication.
    Frame finish is excellent and built up with no issues. Very happy with it, replaced a Whyte 905.
    Would post a pic if I knew how, if your on FB theres an owners group.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Do the rack/mudguard mount bolts annoy anyone else or is it just me? You buy a frame like that for trail riding, not all-purpose use.

Mintyjim

This all sounds positive! It’ll be interesting to see when it turns up. The purple colour looks blommin’ lovely!
    I’m swapping out a 2019 Ragley Mmmbop which is brilliant, I just fancied steel and looking at an 853 sticker.
    I’ll be running Yari’s with a 2.1 RC2 damper set at 150mm.
    What have you guys got?
    I’m not on Facebook so I can’t access the group sadly.

samwilk200
    Free Member

The purple is lovely in real life! Ive got Pikes at 140mm.
    PM me your email if you want some pics.

chestrockwell

I am also interested in this as I very nearly pulled the trigger but my warranty replacement full suss 110/120mm is actually going to be the 140mm version so kind of treads on the Pace’s toes.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 of these (2019 XLs). They are great, I’m running mine single speed at the moment.

jk1980
    Free Member

Sorry for the thread hijack but I’m now also looking at one of these.

For anyone who’s running the L or XL, do you find the standover to be low enough please? The top tube looks a little high vs other frames I’m looking at (Blue pig, Kingdom). Also same question please on the seat tower, is it ok or do you find it gets in the way?

Cheers

jk1980
    Free Member

Can anyone help on this please?

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m 6’2” and the top tube is fine on my XL frame.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m also running a Fox 36 with 150mm travel

jk1980
    Free Member

Thank you, that’s good to hear

jk1980
    Free Member

BTW if you say you have 150s in there, do you reckon it would be ok with 160s?

As I like Grip 2, I had planned to get a set of 150mm Grip 2 36, until I found out there is no such thing and Grip 2 is only 160mm and above in the 36.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I think Pace only rate the frame up to 150mm.

However I can attest to the fact that they are Are pretty strong at the front. I stacked my grey one last year and took a big front impact. It held up fine but slightly bent the rear stays out of true as the bike and I rolled.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks again. Maybe on second thoughts then I will stick with 150mm as i guess anything bigger starts to affect things like reach.

I’m not sure on the sizing but once I figure that out I think I’m going to press the button on it early next week

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’ll be putting my good RC627 XL frame in Lagoon Blue up for sale soon if you fancy saving some cash on new. I’m keeping my grey one that I crashed, but I don’t need two now.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but I’m probably going frame only. If that changes I’ll give you a shout

Mintyjim

Wow.
    So I ordered/bought the frame on the 13th June. After enquiring I was told it would be shipped last Thursday/Friday – 18th/19th June – seemed quite long considering it’s just a frame, probably in the same box that it was shipped from Taiwan in too.

Nothing. Asked again this morning and it’s going to be shipped tomorrow apparently. If it does that’ll be 10 days to ship (not arrive), 7 working days.

Yes, I’m acutely aware that this is a first world problem but last week I ordered and received 3 rugs from Germany(!), a new lower headset and dropper post lever from eBay (different bike shops) and some heavy garage shelving.

Everything, even the rugs, were postage free. Pace charged me £15.

Sigh.

BadlyWiredDog

I think it’s all part of the charm of dealing with a small, family business tbf. I tried to buy an RC627 frame last year. Paid money and everything. A couple of weeks and some e-mails later and Pace told me that the website ‘hadn’t updated itself’ and there was no stock. Offered me a refund or a two month wait. I chose the refund. To be fair, Sophie there had been on maternity leave after having twins, so had quite a lot on her hands.

I like the bikes and would happily have bought one, but I think you have to accept that that’s just the way they roll and factor it in. I put the money under my pillow and added it to my FlareMAX fund – frame due to be delivered today, though actually, I think it’ll be tomorrow now :-). If I were buying a hardtail though, it would probably be the Pace.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

If I were buying a hardtail though, it would probably be the Pace.

Agreed ^, but I could be persuaded to invest in a Moxie Ti 👌

Mintyjim

Nail on the head there BWD. Sophie did tell me I had the last one so I think I’m definitely maybe getting it!
    I’ll wait it out though, it’s easily the best (on paper) for me.

I’ll never forget seeing an RC200 outside Tesco when I was the trolley boy during my A levels in 1995, and now I’m nearly getting my own Pace after mountain biking for nearly 30 years!

jk1980
    Free Member

Given I had a few questions I got through to Pace today and they were really helpful. Sounds like they do have some stock.

I’m therefore ready to order but torn between the L and XL. The recommendation from Pace, given I’m just over 6 foot 2 was to get the XL, but I’m worried that’s going to be massive. I don’t care about climbing, either size will be fine for that I’m sure, but for steep descents I’m just worried about the growth in reach due to sag.

Anyone with a large or XL how tall are you please? And how do you find the sizing when riding steep stuff?

Stigheed

I’m 6ft 3 and have the XL. It fits really well, I am glad that I did not go for the large frame, the whole point of the frame is that it is long and low and encourages a certain style of riding.

Critically, it is not too long or too low.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I’m 6’2”. My XL doesn’t feel too long even with a 50mm stem. If you run the 32mm Pace stem its really fun through the trees.

How high do you like your bars? Each 10mm spacer reduces the reach figure by around 4mm on a 65 degree head angle.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thank you both. Sounds like that’s 2 votes for the XL then.

TheGhost – I do tend to run my bars relatively high. On my fs bike that has a stack of 602mm, I have added 3 spacers and my bars are 30mm rise

Mintyjim

Update for those bored enough to follow: the frame still hasn’t been shipped, so that’s twice they’ve told me it would be then didn’t do it.
    Glad I don’t work in a small, charming family business, we’d have no customers!

I’ll ask if they can refund my shipping and I’ll sort out a courier today. Sad face.

TheGhost
    Free Member

The right handlebar rise – all you need to know

@jk1980
    – this article had good info on how changing bar height through spacers adjusts the reach.

Its always a battle for me to get my bars high enough. I run 20mm of spacers and a 50mm rise bar at 800mm wide on my pace. With a 150mm fork. The RC627 only has a 110mm head tube in an XL.

johnhe

Great article. Thanks for posting.

jk1980
    Free Member

TheGhost – Thanks for sharing that, really interesting article. I always thought that spacers and high rise bars achieved the same thing! This means that on my fs Bike, as I have 30mm of spacers, then the reach has been reduced by 12mm.

Therefore I think my 495 reach bike is a fair bit smaller than the XL pace with its 504 reach, by the time you take the spacers into account

TheGhost
    Free Member

@jk1980 – What length stem and what width bars are you running?

By widening the bars, your body moves forwards. I run 810mm bars. If I ran 780s, I’d need a longer bike because my shoulders would move backward. The reach measurement is only part of the equation.

bar width
    bar height
    stem length
    stem rise
    reach
    stack
    actual top tube
    seat angle
    type of pedals – flat or clipless

All have a significant effect on bike fit for me.

jk1980
    Free Member

I’m running 40mm stem on the full suss with 780mm bars. So I could go for a 35mm or 32mm stem on the XL pace I guess to help out

jk1980
    Free Member

Out of interest for anyone who has a large, what height are you please?

TheGhost
    Free Member

My XL is now in the classifieds if anyone is looking.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘2020 Pace RC627 – talk to me!’ is closed to new replies.