Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • 2020 Holiday destinations
  • roger_mellie

So, where you going next year for your holiday? (If you’re lucky enough to afford multiple trips, what will your main one be)?

Are you planning on avoiding the Eurozone altogether?

Are you keeping fingers crossed that the pound doesn’t tank against the euro (whether we exit Europe or not)?

Banking on a sunny UK summer to stay put?

Flying long haul?

Heading to Morzine?

Personally, I’m looking at non-euro destinations, but Switzerland is expensive at the best of times, and Cape Verde is a 6 hour flight. We’ll be heading off in July, so the Gambia will likely be wet. I don’t fancy Turkey and Mrs Mellie will be unconvinced by a static caravan in Skegness.

First world problem I know, but whatcha thinking?

Houns

Not being selfish and keeping my CO2 emissions down by holidaying in the UK

kilo

Hopefully going to do a bit of a big journey over a few months, Canada, US and down to Argentina, specifics not decided yet, may try and tag Japan on as well

phil5556

Sri Lanka in January, 14 days. Half the time kitesurfing and half finding some elephants and tea.

Snowboarding in March. No plans yet but probably not France as we fancy somewhere different.

We’re quite lucky with holidays, get lots of leave so will be away in the camper for some other trips, with the bikes on the back.

Edukator
    Free Member

Europe, lots of great people and places, same currency, I speak four of the languages, cheap, can get everywhere on public transport without flying. If you choose your destination according to the season you can choose the weather too.

matt_outandabout

Eldest_oab should be somewhere in NW USA, possibly Canada.
    We are hoping to go meet him. I fancy the High Sierra, Cascades or similar. Some biking and canoeing, maybe a hike.

andypaul
    Free Member

Europe, lots of great people and places, same currency

Yes they do indeed share the same currency apart from Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Sweden, and of course extension pending the United Kingdom.

There is probably another ten countries that wished they didnt have the same currency but that would be getting a bit political…

Edukator
    Free Member

You’ve listed the European destinations that appeal to me least there, Andypaul.

Tracey

Going to repeat the trip that we should be on now if the camper wasn’t broken.
    Sospel, San Remo and Finale.
    Going to use the Tunnel that we didn’t use last week and plan something around the Alps for a couple of weeks in June.
    Going to fit a week in somewhere with the van in between.
    Been knocking ideas about whilst sat on the beach salvaging some of this years holiday 😎

andypaul
    Free Member

You’ve listed the European destinations that appeal to me least there, Andypaul.

Shame..

roger_mellie

Well there’s a few I hadn’t considered up there ^^ so thanks!

Keep ’em coming folks!

garage-dweller

Two weeks camping.
    We have the tent but not yet the vehicle to move it comfortably.

Plan is for Holland for loads of cycling (if worst of Brexit nonsense is wrapped up one way or another in time to book) or UK.

After my second year running of dealing with the fall out of return flight cancellations and attendant incompetent airline customer “service” and battles over compensation and expenses I’m done with flying for the foreseeable (and that’s leaving aside my concerns about the environment).

mooman
    Free Member

April a Week cycling in mainland Spain hopefully .. or on Majorca as 2nd choice.

Maybe week in Turkey in August.

A week in Thailand November

bearnecessities

Edit: Idiot. TUI don’t own Thomas Cook.

CheesybeanZ

Definitely Welsh Wales at some point.
    Hopefully a week in Scotland too .

convert

Not being selfish and keeping my CO2 emissions down by holidaying in the UK

Same here. I’m personally getting to the point where hearing of a long haul holiday does not fill me with envy but makes me think the teller selfish. A week’s long haul holiday does more damage than a lifetime’s single use plastic.

But at the same time…….the thought of the world being closed off to what I could get to by other means also feels a little sad.

sadexpunk

probs same as last few years, 2 or 3 holidays over the year, mixture of greek islands (crete favourite so far) and italy (hope to retire there in 5 years and so trying to learn the language…..)

loddrik
    Free Member

Turkey. An antidote to the utterly shite weather we had on this year’s Netherlands camping holiday.

stevie750

Hopefully France for some snowboarding. And a week in donegal

Northwind

I’ve a hankering to get back to White Room if I can, I had a great time doing the Mega and just self-guiding around parks last year but I did miss the more sort of curated experience, not to mention the epic food.

And there’ll be a week of uplifts in Wales, because we’ve got that one pretty much dialed now and it takes almost no thought.

llama

Spring: Pyrenees (road)
    Summer: Alps (road and bit of mtb) followed by northern Italy (lying in the sun, maybe a bit of riding, see how it goes)
    Plus a few weekends camping and a music festival or two
    Woo hoo!

andypaul
    Free Member

Spring: Pyrenees (road)
    Summer: Alps (road and bit of mtb) followed by northern Italy (lying in the sun, maybe a bit of riding, see how it goes)

Show off

MoreCashThanDash

Daughter going to Iceland for a gymnastics event, Northern Ireland for a Guiding event and then the local Guide jamboree

Wife leading a Guide trip to Switzerland, and will be staff at the jamboree if not with her own unit.

Son will either be staff at the jamboree, or having an expensive residential week with the National Scout and Guide Symphony Orchestra, on top of various county orchestra residentials.

I’ve turned down a chance to be on the cycle team at the jamboree. Hoping to do a three day trip from Llandudno to Cardiff that I’ve had to cancel this year due to a shoulder injury.

taxi25
    Free Member

Already got my boozy/cycling trip booked in Spain for next Febuary. Then for my 60th later in the year it’s a 5 week European campervan tour. Not fully worked out a route for that but more than one country will be involved 😉

garage-dweller

Same here. I’m personally getting to the point where hearing of a long haul holiday does not fill me with envy but makes me think the teller selfish. A week’s long haul holiday does more damage than a lifetime’s single use plastic.

But at the same time…….the thought of the world being closed off to what I could get to by other means also feels a little sad.

I’m with you on this. We did fly short haul this year but leaving aside my distaste for the whole airport/cigar tube customer experience I felt pretty guilty/conflicted about the choice we made and yet it’s something millions do without even thinking. More of us need to do it less. That would at least be a good start to sending things the right way.

I don’t seem to have an innate wanderlust to go all over the planet, maybe it’s easier to form that kind of view if you’re more concerned with what you do on holiday than where you do it. I work a lot of hours, I’ve been traipsing up and down the country on a family issue for two years at weekends. It gives me a sense that what I want is more time to hike, cycle, kayak or sail and to camp and take time to cook. I don’t really care where so much.

Kryton57

Balearic sun and pools for me.    Turning down 2 work trips to the US though as a “virtual” option became available.

rone

Colorado / interlaken

Although normally fly TC for USA. So will have to look at that.

doomanic

Supposed to be Cyprus for my mum’s 70th and New York for my wife’s 50th and son’s 21st.

Cyprus flights alone look to be costing more than our AI jolly to Crete next month so no sure if it’s a goer.

I’d happily bin Cyprus for a week in Croatia, MTBing and diving.

db

January – Caribbean for 2 weeks – we will have been married 25 years
    August – 2 weeks in Scotland as normal
    October – 1 week in Scotland paddling canoe

Might squeeze in a week somewhere in the camper van or maybe just some long weekends.

Going to be a good year!

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Warning, shameless plug content.
    Our little Finca
    We’ll be staying here for most of the year 😏

sharkbait
    Free Member

Got a house in N Wales, so probably 4 weeks there.

Maybe a sailing holiday but that’s a bit iffy at the moment.

oldnpastit

My wife has booked a holiday cottage in the middle of nowhere on Lewis.

Picnics on giant empty empty beaches, sitting indoors watching the rain on the windows, and miles of hikeabike across endless bog trying to find some single track.

dantsw13

Sailing in the Greek islands. Doing my Day Skipper over the winter in the Solent.

Longer term planning a retirement adventure involving a boat, 6 months and a journey to/around the med.

handybar
    Free Member

@kryton I probably hold the record for long haul madness. Each year for 3 years I’ve had to fly out to Japan and back to meet some execs in a room to sign a piece of paper then fly back again.
    This year I’m hoping I can just stay at home.

weeksy

Heading to Morzine?

Mostly that 🙂

There and Burgundy…. it’s what we do, where we go etc 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Bookmarking because we haven’t got a clue yet.

I’ve got a pass from the Mrs to ride Passportes so that’ll be 4 day in the Alps, driving or flying, who knows.

As for family Hols, we’ve been to Morzine for the last 3 years. We love it, but it’s becoming a bit samey now. We always promise ourselves we’ll try new things, we usually don’t.

Package stuff to Spain et al isn’t really my thing, but my Wife and kids would probably like it, but they seem to start at £3k, but I’m not sharing a room with the kids so it’s more like £4k for a ‘suite’ and that’s a lot of money in my book.

I’m not against staying in the UK, my Wife needs at least 90% chance of warm sunny weather to be happy, but they last few summer have been good, she might risk it, but they money being asked for a hateful caravan in some faded seaside town is madness.

I’m kind of thinking either Centre Parcs in Holland for a change, or skip next year all together. Hopefully Politics will be boring again, put some money away and take the kids to Florida.

DezB
    Free Member

Something where I don’t have to fly. I hate airports and all the rigmarole that goes with them so much that I’d rather not have a holiday than have it ruined by the return to Gatwick/Heathrow.
    People, bags, trollys, parking, waiting. Can’t do it.
    Did Wales and Cornwall this year, so something like that again probably, but longer maybe.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Main holiday is currently planned to be 1 week camping in Devon followed by 1 week camping in Cornwall.
    Not sure how I feel about striking and then re-setting up camp in the same day but it’s too far from Yorkshire to do two seperate trips so going to do both in one.

Got 3 nights away in Potugal in Feb without the children and now Mrs pp has set her sights on a return to Disneyland in October.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

We’re not going to be selfish by flying abroad and f*cking the planet. We are going to spend our holidays in the UK for the 8th year running.

We’re probably going to the following

Moray coast
    Orkney
    Derbyshire
    Bedfordshire

If Brexit is ever resolved we might take the train to France.

Marin
    Free Member

Debating between Kyrgyzstan to do part of Silk Road Race Route, North India riding or Turin/Nice Rally and few peaks in Italian Alps.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘2020 Holiday destinations’ is closed to new replies.