Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2020 Hightower Alloy
  • snotrag

Finally arrived, ordered in September.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLc6ps]_20191115_205203[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

Replacing an Orange Stage 4. Wanted something a bit burlier as I was doing a few Enduro and a spot of jumping etc. Seriously considered a Stage 6 but for a bit less I could get this. It’s somewhat of a porker compared to the Orange but very nicely made, paint seems good, and should be a lot more supple! Looking forward to building it!

davros

Nice colour! Pics when built. Reckon a tallboy 4 would be perfect for my riding but certainly couldn’t justify one at current prices.

tails
    Free Member

Had a look at both in a shop the other day. Crazy money compared to other bikes but good warranty should you need it. The owner had 3 Santa Cruz bikes! How are you specking it?

snotrag

You say crazy money, but the Alloy frames are the same (or cheaper) than Orange, Nukeproof, Cotic etc – that’s why I went for it. It won’t be light but that was never the aim.

I wondered whether I should have got a Tallboy, but I wanted more travel than the Stage 4, so in for a pennny…

Got Fox 36Performance, big Hope brakes, Mavic XA wheels and 11speed XTR to fit, all off the old bike. Just need a new dropper, can’t decide what to get!

brant
    Free Member

It’s somewhat of a porker compared to the Orange but very nicely made, paint seems good, and should be a lot more supple! Looking forward to building it!

what does it weigh? (with/without shock)?

snotrag

Frame, shock, collar, axle and dropout (ie as delivered) was 4.4kg on the kitchen scales.

Not light, but in defence most published weights are very much not “as delivered”.

tails
    Free Member

Fair enough I was comparing the full build price they had an m30 occam down to £2700, which gets you the base model tallboy/Hightower in alloy. Still they shifted a lot of SC bikes. Get some full build pics up when you’re done.

Gnnr

Pics please – I’m toying with the idea of an alloy Bronson…
    A final weight of the build would be good as well. 🙂

snotrag

Pics due when seatpost lands this week. It looks ace though.

The Engineer in me is sure that the proky frame weight is due to the frame design being optimised for Carbon manufacture. In order to get the right pick up points of the linkages there are quite a few cast and then machined pieces – if you were designing ground up as an alloy frame you would do it differently.

There also looks to be quite a lot of areas that could have been relieivd down a fair bit to trim the weight, but then it wouldnt be the ‘budget’ option anymore.

The collet+axle system is very nice though, along with lifetime warranty, free bearings for life etc.

I didn’t have a look at the Bronson but the Alloy Tallboy is also particularly smart looking in very dark purple.

ayjaydoubleyou

The Engineer in me is sure that the proky frame weight is due to the frame design being optimised for Carbon manufacture.

I’ve held this general view for a while.

Its worse when the carbon and alloy are seen as options rather than higher and lower spec (Canyon , YT come to mind) I cant help but think optimised for neither.

snotrag

Had a bit of a faff with getting the right size seatpost sorted, but it’s finally done. Will weigh it at the weekend. Handles the driveway well so far!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hRQVWY]_20191127_203700[/url] by simonholehan, on Flickr

tenfoot

Looks great

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2020 Hightower Alloy’ is closed to new replies.