• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by hols2.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 2020 Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Have we done this one yet ?

Looks ok to me, and should give the Tesla a run for its money.

For aesthetics though, I think it should have a mesh grill ( not required for function, but would break up that blocky area)
    Why brand it a Mustang though ? Guessing they are using the mustang name to help it sell, to me it looks like a big focus.
    I associate the name with “muscle cars” . Quite fancied a new one at some point, but couldn’t justify a 5 ltr petrol (and the ecoboost version is just a bullshit version IMO)
    Its all about the sound of the V8 innit.

Still, I think I may have a proper look to buy one around next April…….

Drac
    ayjaydoubleyou

If it was a mustang body with an electric drivetrain, I’d be working out how to get a deposit together.

I associate the name with “muscle cars” . Quite fancied a new one at some point, but couldn’t justify a 5 ltr petrol (and the ecoboost version is just a bullshit version IMO)
    Its all about the sound of the V8 innit.

Would happily have had an ecoboost version personally. For me muscle cars are about the looks, then the performance (not necessarily a quarter mile drag, but its usability as a car), with sound a far third.

But this is just another hideous MPV/miniSUV/crossover for people whose favorite colour is beige.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ayjaydoubleyou

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/electric-ford-mustang-mach-e-tesla-model-y-rival

It’s not exactly pretty outside or in.

Just checked the link. (for me at least) half the page is full of an advert for the very similar looking Mazda CX30 in the same colour. Chapeau Mazda’s marketing dept!

boomerlives
    Free Member

Apart from having a horse on the front of it, I’m not sure where Mustang comes near that.

Mondeo is a better fit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thik we’ll see a lot of SUV style EV’s. They need to be big to hide the batteries under the floor so that shape makes sense.

And big batteries made sense as a big battery thats used from 75-50% every day will last a lot longer than one doing the same milage but from 100-0% (see older leafs and zoes).

Would happily have had an ecoboost version personally

Problem is, it barely does more mpg, without any of the character.

If I could plant trees fast enough to justify driving a 17mpg car, it would be a V8!

retro83
    Free Member

🙂

Ford Mustang

😃

Mach-E electric

😍

SUV

😞

munrobiker
    Free Member

Apparently, because the 4 cylinder engine is so much lighter, it’s actually better to drive because the turn in is better.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody ugly thing, but then so is the current petrol version.

Seems mighty pointless giving the Mustang name to something so bland and a total lack or engineering genes.

Just make an SUV Ford, call it an SUV and make it a BEV then call me and I’ll charge you a small fortune for name I have in my mind.

Marketing bods seem to have one helluvan easy job of late.

ayjaydoubleyou

US spec claims 20 to 25% better MPG over the GT. Real world may be less as you’d have to thrash it to out run all the chavmobiles that want to race you…

Guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t hugely care about noise. Coincidentally, I’m not massively into music either. Are my ears defective?

molgrips
    Free Member

Seems mighty pointless giving the Mustang name to something so bland and a total lack or engineering genes.

Engineering genes? What?

kerley
    Free Member

Engineering genes? What?

You do know how cars reproduce don’t you?

ads678

Don’t get it. If they’re gonna make a big EV why not an estate so you can actually for some shit on the boot!!

plus-one

So it’s a Tesla with mustang badge ?

failedengineer

I think that looks OK. Maybe the haters think it’s got the wrong badge? Not German enough, possibly. I wish I could afford one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Apparently, because the 4 cylinder engine is so much lighter, it’s actually better to drive because the turn in is better.

You might be missing the point/character of american muscle cars somewhat. Big burbling cross plane V8’s and racing in straight lines, (or turning left if that’s your thing).

So it’s a Tesla with mustang badge ?

In the same way a Dyson is a Hoover with a Dyson badge?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

That’s in keepin with the later history of the mustang. Outsold its competition despite being an inferior product.

Don’t get it. If they’re gonna make a big EV why not an estate so you can actually for some shit on the boot!!

North Americans hate estates. And sensible hatchbacks. Yet they will drive 9 passenger people movers with 1 person in them all day long. Since there are so many of those on the road,,, the only way t see a safe distance down the road is to buy a tall vehicle -like and SUV – and so the arms race continues.

a11y

As far as electric SUVs go, it seems decent enough and I accept that it’s the way cars are going. But using the Mustang badge, really??? If it was a leccy version of the current Mustang then tolerable, but not a SUV.

Mustang = muscle car. Yes I know they did older 4-cyl versions too, but the USP of a Mustang is the ****-off big V8. Corners? Who cares! I drive similar and would consider a current Mustang V8 once they’re older/cheaper, even though they’re smaller-engined 🙂

darthpunk
    Free Member

Maybe its my eyes but I just think it looks like a Focus

Kryton57

That is not a Mustang in the same way that when wearing a Dinner Suit I’m not Daniel Craig.

patagonian
    Free Member

I can only assume that putting the name on an SUV means no more sports coupes from Ford.

tails
    Free Member

I think it looks pretty good, though I also kind of like the model 3. Not having a grill does make EVs look odd, perhaps using a different colour there would help or a fake grill like Audi have done.

I think it’s been given the mustang moniker as it’s going up against Porsche not Toyota. The acceleration is more within keeping if very high end EVs.

scaredypants

What the actual is that MASSIVE screen in there for ?

“distracted”, officer? No, not at all – I had a perfect view of the movie throughout

chewkw
    Free Member

What the actual is that MASSIVE screen in there for ?

Watch TV, type on social media, work and rear end the 18 wheelers … 🤔

andylc
    Free Member

I wish they would stop producing electric cars that are either
    a) Just about affordable but crap for anyone except living in a city with short journeys who may as well just use public transport
    b) Completely overpriced with ridiculous performance.

Just a decent design, 400 mile range and affordable is all we need please! Stop producing cars with supercar price tags that do 0-60 in 5 seconds, and will only be bought by w*****s.

Edukator
    Free Member

400 mile range and affordable

A mid-size car with that range needs a 100kWh battery and is never going to be cheap with current battery technology. Give it a motor that’s going to satisfy the idiot public’s need for a top speed number way above the motorway speed limit and it’ll do 0-60 in a few seconds.

If buying a model S Tesla or even this Mach-E makes you a **** then what does buying an infinitely more anti-social V8 Mustang make you? It’s not for me, the Zoé fulfils my needs and a Kia e-niro would objectively satify most families’ needs, but if you really do need 400 miles your EV will be big and fast. Personally I wouldn’t dream of driving 400 miles without a couple of half hour breaks so a car with half that range (or a third at 110kmh) and fast charging is fine for my needs.

hols2
    Free Member

Why brand it a Mustang though ?

Exactly. When I think of a Mustang, it looks like this.

null

molgrips
    Free Member

I wish they would stop producing electric cars that are either
    a) Just about affordable but crap for anyone except living in a city with short journeys who may as well just use public transport

There’s a reason for this. Batteries are expensive, but making an EV go really fast is relatively cheap after the batteries have been paid for. So a semi-affordable one hasn’t got the range, but to get a decent range you need a high price tag.

Then, to justify the high price tag, they make it go fast, because people who have the money are more inclined to spend £50k on a sports car than they are on a family hatch.

This is what Musk realised, which is why he started with sports cars. But crucially it also gave credibility to EVs – you don’t hear many milk-float jokes now. He’s built a business and created demand with premium cars, and he’s hoping that he can scale up to make cheaper cars. And he’s also prodded the rest of the car industry to take note and make their own efforts. He may even be banking on the other larger companies moving in (to avoid being seen to be left behind) and ramping up battery production even more to drop prices – from which he can also benefit.

Musk is a nobber but he’s played an absolute blinder here both for himself, for the tech, and for the goal of low emissions motoring.

hols2
    Free Member

He’s built a business and created demand with premium cars, and he’s hoping that he can scale up to make cheaper cars.

Batteries are expensive, but making an EV go really fast is relatively cheap after the batteries have been paid for. So a semi-affordable one hasn’t got the range, but to get a decent range you need a high price tag.

This does not add up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just a decent design, 400 mile range and affordable is all we need please! Stop producing cars with supercar price tags that do 0-60 in 5 seconds, and will only be bought by w*****s.

It’s the nature of electric drive chains.

You always need a big motor as the torque is linear, i.e you need a lot more 0-60 in order to get a ‘sensible’ top speed. Whereas we’re used to ICE’s and gearboxes. See for example leafs and Zoe’s, hot (well, luke warm) hatch acceleration, but the top speed wont even get you a ticket on some countries motorways.

The bigger the range, the bigger the battery, and batteries output is directly related to their capacity. Make it twice as big and automatically it delivers twice the amps. So aside from the weight increase a 400 mile range EV will produce twice the power of a 200 mile range EV. Couple that with the first point that the motors have to be oversized anyway and seemingly ludicrous performance is the result.

molgrips
    Free Member

This does not add up.

No? Why not?

At current times, it is true that batteries are expensive. But the more that get sold, the cheaper they will get. Do you disagree?

Make it twice as big and automatically it delivers twice the amps.

Not necessarily true, there are a load of factors involved.

So aside from the weight increase a 400 mile range EV will produce twice the power of a 200 mile range EV.

Not true in any practical sense, I don’t think. It might be if you were maxing out the current drain of the battery, depending on how you’ve designed the drivetrain, but no manufacturer would do that because it would trash the lifespan.

You always need a big motor as the torque is linear, i.e you need a lot more 0-60 in order to get a ‘sensible’ top speed.

In terms of spec it’s the other way round. The torque characteristics automatically give you a lot of 0-60 for a sensible top speed – however, you limit the 0-60 artificially to preserve battery longevity by reducing current drain.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The press is as confused as us lot it seems.

Theyre all scratching their heads at this latest “thing” from Ford.

Rivian is way ahead of Tesla IMO. Designing commercial vehicles is the way to go. Ludicrous speeds in 2.5ton passenger vehicles is ludicrous.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not true in any practical sense, I don’t think. It might be if you were maxing out the current drain of the battery, depending on how you’ve designed the drivetrain, but no manufacturer would do that because it would trash the lifespan.

Kinda, but we’re already talking about a current drain that doesn’t degrade the battery, if you put twice as many batteries in parallel then you get twice the current with similar degradation of the battery. Hence a Tesla has a ludicrous mode, and a leaf doesn’t, or rather the long range Tesla does, and the basic spec doesn’t.

You could limit in the controller, but that’s in essence what Tesla’s ludicrous mode does, it’s a limiter you can turn off if you want to have a race and accept that it isn’t good for the long term health of the battery. But as the motor and battery are already there and paid for, adding a bit more capacity to the controller is relatively cheap.

Dumbing this down for an audience that writes KW, and uses kW and kWh interchangeably.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hence a Tesla has a ludicrous mode, and a leaf doesn’t, or rather the long range Tesla does, and the basic spec doesn’t.

A Leaf could if it had a bigger motor and bigger wires, but they didn’t build it like that cos it’s not that kind of car. It’s not just the battery ‘size’ that determines the acceleration of the car.

Point is that it doesn’t cost you much more to make an EV go really fast, because the potential is already there, and it doesn’t reduce economy when you are driving normally. Unlike a petrol/diesel car where you need bigger and more expensive bits all round, and you lose fuel economy.

Edukator
    Free Member

Dumbing this down for an audience that writes KW, and uses kW and kWh interchangeably.
    Posted 7 minutes ago

There’s not a single error on kW/kWh this thread from anyone, thisisnotaspoon. It’s impolite to imply your adversaries are thick, especially when they have at least as good an understanding as you, and in Molgrips case, better.

hols2
    Free Member

At current times, it is true that batteries are expensive. But the more that get sold, the cheaper they will get. Do you disagree?

As I understand it, to become massively cheaper, some major advances in battery technology are required. There are physical limits on the chemistry that make miniturization extremely difficult,so only incremental improvements are possible with current technology and it’s not obvious if or when a major breakthough in technology is likely. If you can’t make batteries smaller, then you can’t save money by using less materials, plus you can’t reduce the size and expense of the factory and manufacturing equipment. If you ramp up production, then materials costs may increase because of supply versus demand constraints. So the assumption that batteries will become massively cheaper is problematic.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘2020 Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV’ is closed to new replies.