• This topic has 101 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • 2020 Films, NO SPOILERS PERMITTED
  • DezB
    Free Member

Saw that Best Picture Oscar winner (first one I’ve seen since Birdman), Parasite.
    Great film, loved it. Nice to see the Oscars awarding such originality. (And Empire actually awarding 5 stars to a 5 star film!)

fasthaggis

Aye,saw it on Sat night,thought it was fantastic.
    (What’s that smell?) 🙂

rone

Saw Parasite last year but last week again in a decent cinema. An excellent film – with great tonal shifts, humour and suprises.

Fantastic cinematography and music too.

*Maybe* not quite the masterpiece a lot of hailed it but certainly a strong 8/10. The Oscars were good for that this year – the majority of the films were all in the very good category but not one absolute stand-out for me.

(And Empire actually awarding 5 stars to a 5 star film!)

🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Hopefully finally going to see 1917 on Sunday (although as a regular WW history reader I may get a bit frustrated with some of the plot/settings etc not being entirely historically accurate). Also looking forward to seeing Parasite, Birds of Prey (which looks great fun) and Top Gun for the win 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

*Maybe* not quite the masterpiece a lot of hailed it but certainly a strong 8/10

Yeah, I’d go with that. Unlike Joker, Parasite probably wouldn’t be in my list of fave films ever, but very good. Best film so far this year anyway 😀

hels
    Free Member

So, The Lighthouse was really quite a film! I was never 100% sure what was going on (lots of blokey bonding and feverish masturbating over mermaids) who was real, who was in whose head etc.

But the two hours passed in a flash and there are some beautiful scenes – kind of like Cat People Goes to The Coast and Kills a few Seagulls.

On balance I would recommend if you like arty films that have Robert Pattinson. Which is becoming a genuine sub-genre.

DezB
    Free Member

Desperate to see it, but it’s only showing at the Cineworld 20 miles away and they’re the only cinema chain that hasn’t got with the £5 ticket programme 🙁

mogrim

Saw 1917 at the weekend. Wasn’t that blown away by it. Terrible script made worse by the obvious 21st century-isms in it. The one shot filming got in the way after a bit, and the story itself was neither original or compelling. Both the French and Germans were one dimensional.

3/5 at best.

Sounds about right. Not a bad film, but fairly forgettable.

rone

Watched The Nightingale last night.

British being evil shits in Tasmania.

Talk about brutal.

Powerful stuff. Shot in 4/3.

Hard to say you enjoyed but worth seeking out for those want reminding just how vile we have been. Apparently historically on the money.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh man, the Nightingale was brilliant – grim, but brilliant. Powerful film making that.

crazy-legs

I finally got around to seeing The Gentlemen last night. Classic Guy Ritchie, a lot of similarity to LS&2SB and Snatch.

Not really laugh out loud funny but certainly amusing, well worth a watch.

johndoh
    Free Member

Saw 1917 as planned – I really enjoyed it although the panning shots were all blurred and I struggled to make them out (probably not helped by being on the front row and very close to the screen). There were a couple of bits that jarred slightly but overall I thought it was excellently made.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Watched Jojo Rabbit at the weekend, I really enjoyed it, but it’s not really the film the trailers portray it as, I could have probably worked that out from the reviews but I tend to avoid them bar the headlines.

Very thought provoking and the last act really smacked me around the head.

Spin
    Free Member

Parasite: basically a feature length, Korean version of Inside No.9

And absolutely none the worse for that!

DezB
    Free Member

As a counter to the worst film thread, thought I’d add a few of the good’uns I’ve watched. Without the cinema, have still managed to see a few current(ish) films – the Invisible Man, Queen & Slim, Monos & Animals.
    All worth a watch. Invisible Man better than I expected, especialy at the start; Queen & Slim, not quite as good as expected – slightly missing the jeopardy and tension you’d get from Bonnie & Clyde or Thelma & Louise. Probably would’ve been better in the cinema.
    Last cinema visit was the day before they closed – The Hunt, which has been roundly slagged by the critics, but was pretty entertaining, I thought.

Still got Bait, Ad Astra & Knives Out.

rone

Knives out was okay in a campy 80’s sort of way. Enjoyed Invisible Man too.

Still got As Astra myself to do. Struggling to build up the enthusiasm for that.

kimbers

first image from new Dune

null

rone

7500 on Amazon is well worth watching. Terrorist plane thriller with Joseph Gordon-Levitt on pilot duties.

An actual – decent film produced by Amazon studios. Shades of United 93 but far more B-movie equipped.

Impressively shot – more or less entirely in a cockpit of a plane and devoid of a music soundtrack – intense stuff.

Only the last third was a bit of a come down.

Nail biting and cold.

kimbers

Boom

Tragedy that no one will be able to watch it in the cinema 😭😭

Cougar

Boom

Autocorrect fail?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

When you get the chance watch Boss Level.
    Groundhog Day meets Edge of Tomorrow meets a video game.
    With Frank Grillo being excellent backed up by the divine Annabelle Wallis with a bit of Mel Gibson and a great cameo from Michelle Yeoh.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7638348/

DezB
    Free Member

Sky been plugging that Russell Crowe, Unhinged thing. It was ok, had some tension, but..

Spoiler:
    the end made me laugh like a drain, so bad
Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘2020 Films, NO SPOILERS PERMITTED’ is closed to new replies.