• This topic has 101 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • 2020 Films, NO SPOILERS PERMITTED
  • rone

I’ve been looking forward to Uncut Gems because of the Daniel Lopatin/Oneohtrix Point Never soundtrack but all the reviews say it’s superb, out on NetflIx Jan 31st.

For sure.

I didn’t realise it was a Netflix job … loved Good Time. That’s worth watching if still on Netflix.

DezB
    Free Member

With you again rone 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Competition to win a years worth of Vue tickets. Spot a film reference in this and post it on Vue’s Facebook (so don’t bother if you don’t do Facebook 😉 )

I like the sentiments of the vid tooo

rone

With you again rone 🙂

🙂

You seen Ad-astra? Purchased it over the week. My Dad has put me off watching it!!

DezB
    Free Member

Not yet, meaning to see it at the local art-house. How has he put you off??

rone

He just said it wasn’t great. (Not that we share the same taste.)

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, I see. 🙂

w00dster

Watched The Gentlemen over the weekend, very Guy Ritchie, but also I found it very funny. Even Mrs W who absolutely hates swearing found it entertaining.
    Went to our local Odeon expecting it to be fairly empty, was a weekend but being post Xmas I thought it would be quiet, but was really busy. That was at 9pm.

rone

Catching up with Hustlers tonight (not to be confused with the dire The Hustle on Netflix.)

DezB
    Free Member

Prepare for disappointment! 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yep. Total shitappointfest.

rone

Hustlers: enjoyed it in a Monday night junk food way.

But – crimes against slo-mo, and the Director thinks they’re making Goodfellas when they’re in fact making Showgirls.

Reviews were a bit robustly positive. I mean … five stars Empire?

DezB
    Free Member

I mean … five stars Empire?

Exactly what I thought – it was a trashy, shallow piece of entertainment, not a perfect, classic film. Particularly some of the back-stage “banter” between the women, was so forced and unrealistic. I skipped over a big section about 2/3rds through too, cos it just got boring.
    Unfortunately, J-Lo’s arse was the most memorable thing about the film.

rone

Ha ha. Yeah GF was going on about her ass after that.

Widows was a much better example of this sort of film. And no idea why it was referred to as a heist? Was hardly Ocean’s 11.

If this is female empowerment they neither hit that spot nor the convincing narrative zone.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Checked out Uncut Gems at the weekend and I’m still not entirely sure what to think, it’s definitely an experience and I’ve never seen a film quite like it, after two hours of stressed out chaos I felt worn out and dirty, definitely a big thumbs up though.

nickc

Saw 1917 at the weekend. Wasn’t that blown away by it. Terrible script made worse by the obvious 21st century-isms in it. The one shot filming got in the way after a bit, and the story itself was neither original or compelling. Both the French and Germans were one dimensional.

3/5 at best.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Didn’t really enjoy JoJo Rabbit.

Probably because a couple of mates said “you like Wes, you’ll like this” which put me in a dark frame of mind even before I walked into the bar of the Everyman.

Spoiler:
    It really didn’t do anything for my until the scene where the town was bombed, when JoJo really made an effort towards the girl in the loft. Just after JoJo saw his mother hanging.. that scene where the butterfly hopped across the cobbles that led JoJo to the square.. quite moving. Then the film stepped up into a realism about the war.
    I thought it wasn’t one thing or the other, wasn’t a comedy or parody about the war, was realism reimagined either. Seemed to flit between a comedic hitler imagined (which was obviously JoJos imagination and conscience) but the character wasn’t comedic enough to really make a mockery of the leader of the nazi’s.

Once the bombing of the town came into frame, the realisation kicked in, I could see JoJo’s reticent at telling the girl the wars over, that’s simple enough to understand, but by then the film was almost over par the walking out into the street.

Quite why it’s up for zillions of awards makes me think the world of cinema is in a poor state ATM.

To say it’s a Wes type film is demeaning of Wes, the only link I saw in JoJo was a load of kids at camp, the fawn/purple colour pallet, and a few shots where the early scene frames contained a static scene with a wall and a door to the right and a kid on a bicycle riding across the frame… if that’s the Wes trademark it’s sooooooo far off the mark it shouldn’t even be referenced.

DezB
    Free Member

Er.. ^^ lot of unnecessary spoilers in that! Can they be hidden??

zilog6128

Saw “The Gentlemen” yesterday, really enjoyed it. Not a dull moment, really funny too in places. Some great performances, particularly Hugh Grant (never thought I’d type that 😂) Nice return to form for Guy Ritchie.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Saw “The Gentlemen” yesterday, really enjoyed it. Not a dull moment, really funny too in places. Some great performances, particularly Hugh Grant (never thought I’d type that 😂) Nice return to form for Guy Ritchie.

I’m glad it’s good, reviews have been pretty harsh, it’s cliched nonsense and all that, but I think that’s what you want from what’s effectively Lock Stock 4.

zilog6128

It’s very similar in tone to Lock Stock, Snatch etc but also very much it’s own film (not just remaking the same old stuff again like the latest Star Wars films 😂) Some nice touches that bring the style up-to-date. Definitely not just another generic London gangster film!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Just saw The Personal History of David Copperfield, probably needn’t have bothered. It’s rather well done in a BritFilm sort of way, just not very Iannucci.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyone see the “Life Cinematic” thing on BBC4 last night? Sam Mendes talking about his favourite film moments etc?
    Very good. Especially enjoyed he description of how the scene in 1917 was created.
    Edith’s a bit brown-nosed, but bearable.

Next week is Edgar Wright, I believe.

nickc

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Went to see it last weekend. I enjoyed it, while it wasn’t a faithful rendition of the book, it captures the whimsy of it, as Orwell said “with Dickens there’s a wolf at the door, but it’s wagging its tail”  some of the characters were a bit more sympathetic than their portrayal in the book, but Hugh Lawrie’s Mr Dick is I think a better version that he’s often portrayed. The colour blind casting is also of note, and welcome.

Enjoyed it, solid 8/10

hels
    Free Member

I have tickets for The Lighthouse tomorrow – very excited – it looks good!

jate
    Free Member

Life Cinematic was very good once I got past Edith Bowman laughing at and agreeing with everything Sam Mendes said, without actually contributing anything of value herself. Particularly interesting that he appeared to rank Paul Thomas Anderson alongside the likes of Scorsese and Bergman (always nice to have one’s own opinions validated by someone far more knowledgeable…..).
    David Copperfield was fun but not as amusing as the fact that one of my clients thought it was about the magician and had wondered why he hadn’t spotted him in the trailers. Yes, really.

rone

I have tickets for The Lighthouse tomorrow – very excited – it looks good!

That’s got my attention too.

The VVitch was quite good but hard work.

ElShalimo

I finally saw JoJo Rabbit on Sunday. I really enjoyed it. Very dark humour, ranging from silly to thought provoking and uncomfortable in places.

Ignore bikebouy massive spoilers above !!!!!

DezB
    Free Member

I thought the VVitch was brilliant. Also heard a true story about a lighthouseman going nuts (was it on Antique’s Roadshow?!) which made me want to see The Lighthouse even more!

Also Parasite is on at Vue next week.

nipar
    Free Member

I just looked at the Black Mirror. Delighted!

DezB
    Free Member

I just looked at the Black Mirror. Delighted!

Er, yeah. Of course. Welcome to STW.

hels
    Free Member

The Goodies (remember them ?) did a brilliant episode where they accepted a job for “a little light housekeeping” when in fact it was “a little lighthouse keeping” I might watch that before I go. I doubt the film will have that joke. Peter Bradshaw gave it five stars which almost puts me off – he like really middle aged blokey macho films (I think JoJo Rabbit was too camp for him) he drooled all over The Irishman.

Cougar

Ignore bikebouy massive spoilers above !!!!!

Now edited following someone reporting it. Cheers for that, we missed it at the time.

Remember, like the Yellow Pages, the Report Post button is not just there for the nasty things in life.

AlasdairMc

Just saw the trailer for Tenet when in seeing 1917. I’m really looking forward to it as it’s another Nolan mindbender.

rone

Also Parasite is on at Vue next week.

Parasite is something really special.

Saw Ready or Not last week. Entertaining black comedy – Society cum Evil-Deadish. (Though mainly in style)

slowoldman

The Personal History of David Copperfield

DezB
    Free Member

Parasite is something really special.

Trying to persuade my son to see it with me – suitable for a 17 year old yoof?

ElShalimo

Parasite, 17 year old offspring …. there’s a gag in there somewhere

😉

rone

suitable for a 17 year old yoof?

Some violence and a bit of cheeky stuff but it’s a 15.

You’ll be golden. I think. 🙂

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Dune & GB Afterlife for me

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘2020 Films, NO SPOILERS PERMITTED’ is closed to new replies.