• This topic has 108 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Yak.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • 2019 XC Racing, bike plans, purchases, thoughts ?
  • weeksy

Today I was over at Banjo Cycles and heard that Southern XC Racing is making a comeback for 2019.

None of the dates clash with any of my plans so i’m thinking it’s right up for a full on assault for mid-pack mediocrity 🙂

So i’m now sitting here thinking “OK, so what do we do to be the least average possible”

My 2 current bikes are Whyte T130SX, standard all round and a 29er Parkwood, again standard. I use the PArkwood on the KickR Snap for turbo work, so if i replace the 29er it needs to have the ability to work on the Snap. I’m not sure if it can take a 142×12 back end but i seem to think so.

Plan1. Keep the Whyte T130, fit some lighter wheels, Hope Pro4 with Hope XC rims
    Plan2. Sell the Whyte and the Parkwood and get a Scott Spark 970 29er
    Plan3. Sell the Parkwood only and race on a light XC 29er HT.

In an ideal world the bike needs to be up to BPW Blue and Reds as i’ll be doing that with my son outside of racing, so going right in for a 100mm carbon HT isn’t a plan as i am not good enough to ride technical stuff on a non-appropriate machine.

The Whyte is brilliant, absolutely love it. Rides excellent, but is no lightweigh, hence my thoughts on the lighter wheels fitted to the T130…. But i’m not completely against the idea of swapping it if i can get a best of both worlds type bike.

Lets assume for a second i can get £1000 for the Whyte and £500 for the Parkwood, i could then stick in an extra grand to make the value to £2500 overall.

Thoughts appreciated.

Yak

Or wheel/parts upgrades on the Parkwood to get it down to xc weight?

shortcut

I have a large Pivot 429sl frame only awaiting sale in my garage if it’s of interest mail me.

Aside for that the Scott Spark seems like a sensible strategy. Otherwise it’s Tallboys and the like and there’s plenty of those around which might do the variety of roles you’re seeking.

Yak

^ that pivot would do the lot with a 120mm fork or 100mm for pure xc.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’d sell both, buy something second had as cheap as possible for a turbo specific bike then buy an xc FS 29er, whatever tempts you and is discounted!

weeksy

Yak,
    I’m not actually sure the Parkwood is a realistic option, as it was a budget build of SRAM X5 spec from On-One, it’s all fairly basic, it would need wheels, cranks, seatpost, bars, etc etc which you’d end up replacing just about everything other than the frame, so a bit pointless IMO.

Yak

Fair enough. Sell both and go for a full suss 29er.

weeksy

Why we thinking FS29er then over a lighter T130 lads ?

I know this could sound like i’m not listening, but i am, honest… But i could for example get

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Crossmax-Pro-XL-27-5-Mountain-Bike-Wheels/372505065314?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2649

Lighter wheels for £350 taking 700-800gr off the Whyte T130, some decent lightweight rubber…. use that ?

If thnking 29er FS… then what’s the thoughts ?

There’s for example a Camber Comp Carbon 29
    https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/5210/2017-camber-comp-carbon-29/

or this https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Spark-970-29er-Mountain-Bike-2018-Trail-Full-Suspension-MTB_112416.htm
    Scott Spark 970.

weeksy

Looking at weights, i’m not convinced i can find anything at a much lighter weight within my budget. So it just comes down to wheel size in that context.

johnw1984
    Free Member

How tall are you?

Going to be selling my 2018 Scott Spark RC 900 Team (about 4 rides old). It’s an XL and I just didn’t gel with it like I thought I would. Was rapid in the right conditions and cornered like nothing else I’ve ridden.

Got a brand new dropper post routed internally too!

fathomer

If you’re not going to be competitive and you like the Parkwood, just use that? Maybe a nice set of light 29er wheels and tyres. Though a new bike is always nice.

For what it’s worth, I’ve only ever done one XC race, one mt very trail orientated Cotic Soul 275 and placed ok (in the middle category).

Yak

Good point weeksy. Light wheels on the whyte will make a difference, especially if things like the spark 970 are coming in over 14kg. To get a light 29er full suss you’d be looking secondhand, eg that pivot then building it up light, or whatever else turns up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Haven’t we had this before?

IMHO XC race courses (on the whole) are a bit techier than they used to be, so the short travel FS suits them and also makes a nice bike for everything else.

weeksy

Haven’t we had this before?

Probably most years 🙂

Last year i only did 2 XC races and did them both on the T-130. I placed about where i’d expect.

mm93
    Free Member

Anthem 2 29er? 90mm rear 100mm front,26.5 lb , well reviewed ,£1760 at je James for a 2018 medium and should handle trail rides fine. I haven’t ridden one and have never raced though so my opinion means little 😀

ianpv
    Free Member

sell parkwood, get racier HT (superfly, scale?), and keep T130 for trails.

Kryton57

Weight won’t make you faster, changing your Zwift program might.

If you sell that T130 and decide you hate racing again, you’ll regret it. Here’s my suggestion:

A) Parkwood – keep it as a heavy winter / training bike
    B) T130 – race is this year. If you want to lose weight cheaply drop lbs from you not ££’s
    C) Revert to a an XC orientated training program on Zwift or compatible with Zwift, use that to get more XC race specific fitness, rather than what you are doing now.
    D) At the end of 2019, if you’re liking Training and racing, look for a Spark/Spark-a-like to replace T130.

weeksy

Weight won’t make you faster, changing your Zwift program might.

That as we know is simpler and more complex than we would like to admit. I do plan on using Zwift to continue my training along with losing some rider weight, but i don’t forsee me going ‘structured’ on the training, will be 90% racing on Zwift for fun.

However, elaborating on C above would be good please. What do you mean by XC orientated training plan ?

Akers

Are you racing for fun or places? If you are mid-pack anyway, are you going to feel any better at the end of the race having finished a couple of places higher, because you’ve spent £1k+ on new/lighter kit?
    Get some lightweight XC tyres for the Whyte and spend the remaining £900+ on more bike park trips with your lad 😉

Kryton57

What do you mean by XC orientated training plan ?

Your racing in Zwift is “road”. Its longer “steady” efforts with occasional bursts. XC as you know is massive sprint/on/off/on/off and technical. I think you’ve been through this conversation before.

If you want to go a bit faster, you need and XCO or XCM plan. In this scenario, I wouldn’t sell a bike until you’ve decided you want to do it again.

If you intending to not change what your doing on Zwift, don’t sell anything just turn up, enter and enjoy yourself (as much as you can inn an XC race).

Kryton57

And now I’ve seen it, buy that Spark ^^ before someone else does. 😀

mm93
    Free Member

Scrap that, it’s sold out.

weeksy

Your racing in Zwift is “road”. Its longer “steady” efforts with occasional bursts. XC as you know is massive sprint/on/off/on/off and technical. I think you’ve been through this conversation before

Kinda yes, but i think yours and my XC races are different in that context too, i don’t think i have now or ever the power/pace changes that good riders have, for me it’s all in, then mostly hanging on best as possible, but yes, i get your point on the shorter intensity efforts.

I’ve put an offer in on them Mavics up above at £350, even if they don’t improve my XC racing position they’ll still improve the bike overall and as much as I’d like a Whyte S120 instead, i can’t see me spending that much extra.
    Next is to find some fast XC race rubber to go on there…. i won’t fit the rubber currently though but will keep for April. I’ll use the wheels though 🙂

weeksy

Are you racing for fun or places? If you are mid-pack anyway, are you going to feel any better at the end of the race having finished a couple of places higher, because you’ve spent £1k+ on new/lighter kit?

My desires and the reality are quite far apart. I’m racing for places, but you wouldn’t know that by seeing my placings 🙂
    In Aprils race at Checkendon i was 25th out of 40 in the E3C cat, which i guess is the lower class they have.
    https://my4.raceresult.com/89355/results?lang=en#3_77C4BF

To hit the top10 i’d need to find 7 mins+ over a time of just over an hour… Sheesh… That kinda puts things into perspective doesn’t it 🙂

weeksy

either as pair, one front, one back ?

edit : Bought the Barzos as a pair.

Kryton57

i don’t think i have now or ever the power/pace changes that good riders have,

Try the longer races Weeksy? I’m the same, hence I’m focusing on Marathons now. Having said that, last weekend Gorrick went off at inhuman pace. Why not enter the last 4h Winter race in Jan on the T130 with new wheels & tyres? Its a Minley, so good riding.

Kryton57

either as pair, one front, one back ?

Spring-Summer-Autumn – Barzo Front, Mezcal rear

Winter – Barzo F&R

weeksy

Try the longer races Weeksy? I’m the same, hence I’m focusing on Marathons now. Having said that, last weekend Gorrick went off at inhuman pace. Why not enter the last 4h Winter race in Jan on the T130 with new wheels & tyres? Its a Minley, so good riding

I have the perception the Scotts are less exciting than the shorter races ? If for example on Wantage one, it’s not techy at all. Plus they’re all miles and miles away apart from that. The Southern XC for example are all about an hours drive from mine, which is idea.

Minley i could make though yes. I’ll have a looky on Gorrick now.

Kryton57

Well yes. Hope is uber tech though.

Gorrick Spring/Autumn Winter & Gorrick Torq races might slight you then. I’m not doing the on on 6th Jan only the later one and hopefully not dying on my arse this time, be good to see you if you enter!

weeksy

OK, I’ve entered,…. Only the 2 hour 40+ Cat, but will give me a taster as not raced for a LOOOONG time.

Kryton57

Ha ha brilliant. I’ll be starting 10 mins behind you, my job is to catch and pass you then. 😉

Yak

Nice one weeksy – see you there.

weeksy

Kryton, on the 6th…

Yak, will be good to see you again mate… I owe you a coffee or two 🙂

plop_pants
    Free Member

@johnw1984

PM’d you

weeksy

Seller came back at £375 on the Mavics, I went back at £360.

Anyway. Thanks for the thoughts guys. And the push for 6th Jan. Hope it’s frosty!

weeksy

Didn’t get them so have gone Hope Pro4 tech XC. With krytons recommended rubber I should have a reasonable priced set of lighter wheels.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you want to spend money to go faster, spend it on HRM, training, power meter, coach etc.

A few hundred gm off the bike won’t achieve as much by long way.

weeksy

Agree with that to an extent of course, but i’m not prepared to make them sort of sacrifices to my family/social life.
    I have the HRM/power meter etc on the Zwift trainer so i can train to set figures. But the aspect of doing it in such a dedicated manner isn’t going to work for me. I have to enjoy the riding, i’ve seen and read some of the guys here who train to specific schedules, plans, power. Without picking on one person I’ve seen the effects that has on bike pleasure, riding, fun, where disillusionment is the one thing that comes to mind, a lack of enjoyment, a lack of excitement, head down, buried on the stem for too long etc… It’s just not happening… I ride for enjoyment and pleasure, if i lose that then what’s left. I’ve seen this personality trait within myself previously with motorbike racing etc…

the few Gr off the wheel/weight may not work massively in some ways but the bike will handle better in all riding, both in races and day to day life. It’s also nice to have a bit of bling too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘2019 XC Racing, bike plans, purchases, thoughts ?’ is closed to new replies.