• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • MoreCashThanDash

Jeez, the Labour proposal was to ban zero hours contracts unless both sides agreed it suited them, ie they could be voluntary but not compulsory. There’s no mileage trying to be clever about it

andypaul
    Free Member

Hahahah for **** sake, talk about Turkeys voting for Christmas – Boris must be pissing himself with laughter.

Yeah yeah we get it, you are smarter than everybody else with your silly beard and dark rim glasses. In fact, is that you Jeremy?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I dislike Corbyn probably as much as McCarthy would have.

outofbreath
    Free Member

A job with no contract has no requirement for hours. So a 0 hours non-contract. The problem for the person with a job that has no hours and therefore no money remains unsolved.

Yup, so the alternative is to keep compulsory contracts and go with Molegrip’s suggestion of picking a pitifully small minimum contract hours like 4 hours PCM. Which also doesn’t solve the no money problem unless you regard four hours guaranteed work a months as adequate.

As Molegrips says Labour are not going to ban casual working because that would be “utterly insane”. What they say they *are* going to do is ban zero hours contracts. There’s only two sane ways to do that and neither of them solve the problem people want solved.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Jeez, the Labour proposal was to ban zero hours contracts unless both sides agreed it suited them, ie they could be voluntary but not compulsory.

Where’s you link for that, that’s not what the manifesto says. (If that *was* the policy it would just be maintaining the status quo.)

kelvin

Rather than getting exasperated, please explain the policy, so that we can all try and understand it. Because I don’t.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know if the policy is fully spelled out, however it would be safe to assume.thwt they won’t draft laws that are simply the statements out of their manifesto. The law making process is a bit more involved.

The intention is to prevent people from being forced into zero hours contracts, presumably by making employers offer a decent number of hours. The employee could then be free to ask for a.lower number if they want.

Not hard to see how this could be the positive change that Labour are intending.

kelvin

So, you don’t understand it either? Fine.

mattyfez

Maybe a start would be an automatic opt out unless you purposely sign up, a bit like the EU working time regulations but the opposite.

I agree that highly flexible hours might suit some people, they could do 5 hours at sports direct on a Monday, 3 hours at a coffee shop on Wednesday etc.

The big thing in my mind is that that if you work on a zero hours contract at the moment, you have to be available at beck and call and if you can’t be, because your doing another zero hours contract, or doing a school run, they can just sack you off.

It’s like slavery.

tjagain

I dislike Corbyn probably as much as McCarthy would have.

Unsuprising given you are about as right wing as McCarthy

tjagain

I have worked on a zero hours contract. My choice. I was also free to take up other work if I wanted, free to refuse work if I wanted, did not have to be on call to take work.

that sort of zero hours contract is fine and not abusive.

What is not acceptable is to be unable to take up other work and to have to agree to work when called. that is abusive.

molgrips
    Free Member

So, you don’t understand it either?

No, all I’ve got is a single sentence.

I’m exasperated that people are filling in the blanks with their own made up rubbish, then disapproving of the policy because it’s rubbish – when it’s their own made up rubbish. A highly destructive level of confirmation bias. Reminds me of that Harry Enfield character that rants on about celebrities having done hypothetical things he just made up.

kimbers

Johnson saying he wants to revoke C4 s license because they empty chaired him

He really is the most remarkable coward, isn’t he!

binners

I love the whiney middle class cockbags blokes who’s biggest dilemma is what Audi spec to get get for their next company car, and what Santa Cruz to put on the roof bars, loftily pontificating on the pros and cons of zero hours contracts

kelvin

No, all I’ve got is a single sentence.

There isn’t a policy, just an aim. If you can’t explain what you’ll do, people have to either fill in the blanks, or assume you’re floating farts. No more “we have a plan, it’s the best plan, the greatest plan, we just can’t tell you what it is”. That’s not good enough, from any party. 2016 and its aftermath should be warning enough. It’s no better than assurances from Johnson that his party has a plan for social care… we just can’t see it or scrutinise it. Don’t accept such empty fluff from politicians.

Anyway, just made the mistake of watching BBC The Papers, they saying that Johnson had the right approach to the C4 debate because it had made the Conservative Party complaints the front page story ON THE TELEGRAPH instead of the climate debate and issues. THE TELEGRAPH. As if Johnson and the paper were in no way connected.

Del

I love the whiney middle class cockbags blokes who’s biggest dilemma is what Audi spec to get get for their next company car, and what Santa Cruz to put on the roof bars, loftily pontificating on the pros and cons of zero hours contracts

Steady on binners. Maybe lay off the ether for a bit?

scotroutes

I’ve worked on a zero hours contract. In fact, it’s pretty common round where I currently live. No one has any issue with it as it provides “freedom” in both directions, employees being able to take up other work as they desire.

mattyfez

That’s probably a good example of zero hours, the bad aspect is that technically you can basically be on call to do work at any time time, and if you’re unavailable due to other commitments they could just sack you off for ‘being inflexible’..

The moral of the story is that it has to work both ways.
    When you have a situation where an employer is not setting specific hours but expect you to work at short notice or irregular hours, that’s when it becomes very unfair.

rone

No one has any issue with it as it provides “freedom” in both directions, employees being able to take up other work as they desire.

I was under the impression that there will be a silent chunk of people who get shafted because of this flexibility and Labour are interested in those people – rather than the ones who can make it work, that are happy with it – and perhaps have other good life choices available to them.

rone

I’ve noticed Gove is increasingly becoming the voice pipe for Boris.

I loathe his every fibre.

kimbers

Gove never fails to sink below expectations , which is impressive considering my opinion of him already!

Tories threatenin C4 s license is all getting a bit orwellian

frankconway

C4 license is up for renewal in 2024; if Tories attempt to review before then I think C4 would definitely appeal.
    Licence renewal is managed by Ofcom so any attempt to exert political influence would, I’m sure, be made public in no time.

frankconway

Anyone hear Gavin Williamson on 5live earlier?
    An embarrassment; failed to answer a single question directly.
    Asked to comment on johnson’s insults – melon faced piccaninnies, letter box wearing, bumboys etc – in the context of candidates being stood down for equally offensive comments on social media he prattled on about johnson’s focus being on uniting the divided UK.
    Nicky Campbell attempted, repeatedly, to get a clear answer but….nothing.
    What a useless prick; from tory perspective, another tool to deflect criticism away from johnson.

rone

One question: How bad would the Tories have to be (or just Johnson) before the public turned their backs in disgust?

What would they have to do that was bad enough to push sentiment against them? Because it seems to me they are way past that anyway.

Serious and funny.

(No comments about Corbyn being useless that’s just not my view – let’s assume for the sake of argument the Tories are just awful anyway.)

dovebiker

I have a zero hours contract and for the last 3 weeks its been that – previously working 2-3 days per week since April and now nothing. I’ve also been denied any holiday – many employers are abusing the system.

frankconway

Rone – at present he appears teflon-like; same as Farage.
    I can’t see what would prompt a significant rejection of him; tories have built cult (yes, intended spelling) of personality around him and made the election into a single issue – get brexit done – which is dog-whistle politics but appeals to a surprisingly large number of voters
    Too many voters have swallowed the demonisation of Corbyn; as you request, I won’t comment about his actual or perceived competency.
    Also true to say that too many voters have, wrongly, equated johnson’s vocabulary with intelligence and competence.
    The single issue brexiters in constituencies where BP have stood down their candidates have, in the main, transferred their allegiance to tories.
    Sentiment will turn against him when, after the expected election win, he will be exposed as the incompetent he really is.
    Depressing, isn’t it?

kelvin

(No comments about Corbyn being useless that’s just not my view – let’s assume for the sake of argument the Tories are just awful anyway.)

Sorry, you can’t discuss why Johnson can get away with so much without discussing the only alternative the voters think, under FPTP, they have in front of them at this election in most of England. And it’s worse than them just winning an election… the Conservatives have only been able to move further and further right thanks to having an opponent they think they don’t have to fight for heart and minds of huge swathes of Britain where Labour should be a dangerous opponent for them.

rone

Sorry, you can’t discuss why Johnson can get away with so much without discussing the only alternative the voters think, under FPTP, they have in front of them at this election in most of England.

I don’t think that is the point of my point.

I’m just saying what in isolation would it take to NOT vote Boris. I’m assuming if he took part in a child sacrifice then Corbyn would look slightly more appealing to some?

martinhutch

Now he’s sent his dad onto Breakfast telly with a note for teacher.

Looks like Boris is also trying to replace an evisceration from Neil with a light prodding from Andrew Marr instead. BBC should book him, then replace Marr with Neil due to a ‘diary clash’ at the last minute.

kelvin

I’m just saying what in isolation would it take to NOT vote Boris.

Sorry, most people are going to vote for what they see as the least worst choice between two parties. That what the awful FPTP does to us all. The potential PMs and their parties’ policies are weighed up. Voters don’t have the luxury of considering only one of the party leaders in isolation.

In my opinion, Johnson long ago did enough to make him entirely unsuitable for public office of any kind. Not sure there is much more he can do to look any worse as a potential PM.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I have a zero hours contract and for the last 3 weeks its been that – previously working 2-3 days per week since April and now nothing. I’ve also been denied any holiday

Nightmare, but I’m not sure how this policy helps you:

We will tackle insecurity by … Banning zero-hour contract

We will end insecurity and exploitation by ending zero-hours contracts

Nobody else in this thread can see how either. They’ll have to either set a ludicrously low number of compulsory hours, or just leave the EU and end compulsory contracts for work because as Molegrips says:

No-one’s banning casual working. That would be utterly insane.

The best policy on contract hours I’ve heard is the Lib Dems – you don’t impose minimum legal contract hours, or end the requirement for contracts but below a certain number of hours the salary has to go up.

Hope you get a full time job soon.

kerley
    Free Member

One question: How bad would the Tories have to be (or just Johnson) before the public turned their backs in disgust?

They have used the Trump approach and it has worked brilliantly. As the great man Trump said “He could shoot someone on 5th Aveneue and he wouldn’t lose any voters”

kiksy
    Free Member

This for me has been the hardest part to deal with in this election. Obviously the way things work with FPTP does screw things up a bit, but my gut feeling at the start of this would be that pretty much all remainer Torys , especially in safe Tory seats would vote LD as a protest. The LDs offer remainer moderate Conservatives an easy way out, without voting for Corbyn. If the polls play out, they just haven’t taken that opportunity.

Which has led me to believe that the number of actual true moderate Conservative supporters is woefully low. Ergo a massive chunk of the population are either really just selfish, self centered nasty people, or just blind to what the Torys have become.

I really do have no idea how bad they have to get before people start to desert them.

precutduck
    Free Member

I would suggest some sort of averaging system. If a person has averaged say 15 hours a week over the last 3 months, then they need to be given at least 66% of the hours. Just a rough idea.

mattyfez

Constituency level betting odds if anyone’s interested
    https://www.paddypower.com/politics/england-constituencies-a-d

rone

Boris in LBC now currently getting a bit of gentle ripping by Ferrari.

Wonder why he turned up for a moderately right wing broadcaster that he’s comfortable with?

The deal is still oven ready for the microwave.

rone

I don’t agree with Ferrari on most topics but he’s at least a dignified interviewer compared to the vitriol coming from Andrew Neil’s gob.

Klunk
    Free Member

bonespurs boris, cowardly, climate change denier, lying racist islamophobic shit. He fits right in.

nickc

Boris in LBC now currently getting a bit of gentle ripping by Ferrari.

And even under this gentlest of prodding he falls apart…

outofbreath
    Free Member

I don’t agree with Ferrari on most topics but he’s at least a dignified interviewer compared to the vitriol coming from Andrew Neil’s gob.

I’ve never heard a Ferrari interview but I’ve listened to a lot of political podcasts which almost always involve fairly soft inteviews. The interviewee opens up a lot more, I suspect a soft interview actually acheives a lot more than a hard interview.

We don’t really learn anything from questiones designed to expose an awkward paradox or whatever.

Viewing 40 posts - 3,721 through 3,760 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.