• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • tjagain

On corruption – there is no doubt at all that the majority of MPs are corrupt crooks. Either they start out like that or they get corrupted. There are some honest ones of course – but a tiny minority. Corbyn was one name I had in mind and I was wondering if Rayban could bring himself to praise him 🙂

Mhari Black is another

The overt bribary is now much less than it was but its dressed up as ” consultancy fees” ” speaking engagements” ” Staffing support” ” non executive directorships”or the promise of lucrative jobs once voted out or retire

Does anyone here really think the £50 000 to Johnson for a speech was anything but a naked bribe? How about Gove ( I think it was ) getting several thousand pounds an hour in pay from a company?

No – How about Cleggs job with facebook – note there was opportunity to reign in the internet giants during the coalition but it was not taken. Thats an overt payment for sdeeds done.

And so it goes. Balls and ~Cooper – corrupt as hell buying two london houses on expenses Far too many of them do this – enrich themselves at our expense by lying

Then we have all the paid lobbyists who happen to be MPs – al those who are paid by speciual iterests toi make sure the briber gets favourable treatment

Open you eyes and look into it. Its a cesspit of criminality, corrruption and venal pursuit of money

There have been several reports on cleaning up this cesspit of corruption but none been enacted on. Note this from the committee charged with overseeing MPS

The Committee last considered the issue of MPs’ outside interests in it’s 2009 report, MPs’ Expenses and Allowances, at the request of the then Prime Minister. At that time, we recommended that MPs should be able to continue with outside employment, as long as any outside interests were within reasonable limits and there was transparency. However, these recommendations have not been fully acted upon by government and Parliament. Nine years on, this report provides an opportunity for Parliament to act to address this issue, and to prevent further erosion of public trust.

We recommend a package of important reforms to ensure that MPs’ outside interests remain within reasonable limits. We recommend a revision to the Code of Conduct for MPs, so that any outside roles, whether or not they are paid, do not prevent MPs from undertaking the range of duties expected of them in their primary role as an MP.

tjagain

James Frith – looks fairly clean with a few bits like £1500 worth of hospitality at Gastonbury but overall not bad. Didn’t look into london housing for him

tjagain

Sarah Wollaston Looks pretty squeeky clean. just the usual few thousands bunged herway

Ben Bradshaw the same although not even the usual few thousands. cleanest I have seen

tjagain

https://www.theyworkforyou.com

Have a browse the the register of interests. Look at the revolving doors between defense contractors and MPs and tech companies employing technological illiterate ex mps for huge sums. Look at the payments by private health companies to MPs. Theyn look at the emplying of family members on exp-enses, the absurd expenses claims, the huge scam that is buying london houses on expenses and trousering the profits

The post Blair labour intake art much better than previous labour lots who were almost as bad as the tories still are.

Its an Augean stable of corruption dressed up as other things. Don’t kid yourself our parliment is clean. Its not and its easy to find the evidence. follow the money

jjprestidge
    Free Member

TJ – are you OK, hun?

JP

chewkw
    Free Member

You voting for Jo Swinson then Chewy? 😉

Jo Swinson … Noooo 😱😱😱 … coz she is weird. Not sure why but when she speaks I keep seeing her front teeth … her teeth … look at those teeth. 😮

I am voting for Brexit party at the moment even without Nigel Farage coz all the mainstream parties are just bunch of jokers taking people for a ride.

binners

Fair point.

While Nigel is a model of honest, trustworthy integrity with all our best interests at heart

tjagain

Oi JP – thats how I sign myself in real life!

I am fine. I just get exasperated when people are willfully blind to the obvious corruption and criminality of the UK parliament

Far too many of them and a clear majority end up using their position to enrich themselves in the service of various groups who pay them not in our service and almost all of them engaged in fraud over expenses.

frankconway

TJ, the revolving door you refer to also applies to civil servants and senior MoD personnel.
    ACOBA was set up to vet these sorts of moves and either approve or reject but have proved to be singularly inept in carrying out their remit.
    MPs, generally, are no more venal than the general population – yes, I’m sure you can provide examples which suit your argument – so if the control process is almost non-existent it’s hardly surprising the revolving door continues revolving.
    You know, as well as anyone else, that companies will always attempt to buy influence from MPs. Sort the process and apply rigorous controls.
    Unless and until that happens nothing will change.
    Cameron said the next big scandal would be lobbying – 100% correct – but failed to do anything to either prevent or control it.

tjagain

Indeed it does Frank – the corruption goes right thru the establishment

tjagain

IME MPs are much more venal than the people I know and have met. But then I do not move in right wing circles where venal behaviour is much more common 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

While Nigel is a model of honest, trustworthy integrity with all our best interests at heart

That is not really important at all politicians are the same. Yes, they are and yes they are.

All those details they give in their manifesto etc are just bunch of hot air to be honest.

You don’t have to be genius to see how each party that formed the govt become parasitic after a while let alone for so long (I am referring to all the main parties since their inception).

oh ya … business rate … FFS! Talking about cutting off the root of SME before they even start. How stupid can they get? Where do they think large business evolved from?

frankconway

TJ, the problem is that the ‘establishment’ has been allowed to almost self-regulate.
    Develop proper controls and apply them rigorously with suitable punishment for transgressions.
    Think of it like prima donna footie players challenging referees; if they were given straight red card – you’re off – and backed-up by refs association that would go a long way to eliminating the problem.
    Simplistic but you get the point?

tjagain

Oh absolutely – and the fact that they were all at it means that any reform is impossible – thats why they never cleaned up expenses properly like they did at Holyrood. No buying houses as investments on expenses

Its just another aspect of our dysfunctional parliament

I think the only way we differ is you do not seem to blame them for it. I do.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that MPs should be paid more. It’s madness when the VC of a provincial university can easily be paid three times the salary of the PM.

I say a flat rate of 250K for an MP, but no expenses allowed. Far simpler, and would probably attract a higher calibre of person to the job.

JP

binners

Have you read this Uncle Jezza? It’s details the whole corrupt club. Everyone should read this book. If they did, we’d certainly never see another Tory government

frankconway

TJ – oops, you’re so wrong.
    I absolutely do blame the ‘establishment’ for gaming the system – but we’ve made it easy for them.
    Clear rules & regs, police them effectively, prosecute transgressions.
    Suggest you look at my posts on various threads railing against ACOBA, MP’s total packages including heavily subsidised bars and restaurants.
    I hate to say it but…..we could be agreeing violently.

RustySpanner

chewkw

I am voting for Brexit party at the moment even without Nigel Farage coz all the mainstream parties are just bunch of jokers taking people for a ride.

Y’know, you’re right.
    Whenever I read your political posts, I’m tempted to vote for stricter immigration policies as well. 😉

frankconway

Rusty^^ don’t be fooled; chewy is a faux geordie masquerading as a malay.
    He’s probably whiter/more white than you or I.
    Chewy is Farage – and I claim my fiver.

RustySpanner

Who knows or dares to dream? 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

So, what I’m reading into this is that I should get elected as an MP, then profit?

mefty
    Free Member

MPs can only claim rent for their second properties. The great irony of the expenses scandal is that when you add the cost of new bureaucracy created to the expenses now claimed, it costs a lot more than the old system – purity always has a cost.

I say a flat rate of 250K for an MP, but no expenses allowed.

Doesn’t work, you need expenses otherwise the MP for Shetland and orkney (or anyone for a far distant constituency) is massively disadvantaged compared to say the MP for Maidenhead.

frankconway

Rusty – I don’t know; I definitely don’t dare to dream; shudder…….

ctk
    Free Member

250k flat rate plus a train pass.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

MPs can only claim rent for their second properties. The great irony of the expenses scandal is that when you add the cost of new bureaucracy created to the expenses now claimed, it costs a lot more than the old system – purity always has a cost.

I say a flat rate of 250K for an MP, but no expenses allowed.

Doesn’t work, you need expenses otherwise the MP for Shetland and orkney (or anyone for a far distant constituency) is massively disadvantaged compared to say the MP for Maidenhead.

Just give them enough that it doesn’t really matter. If you’re paid enough then, say, the 40k difference between those close and those far away is fairly irrelevant proportionally.

JP

mefty
    Free Member

I think it is a pretty important principle that every MP should receive a similar financial reward for their work in parliament and that there should be no financial disincentive for them to return to their constituency.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

the 40k difference between those close and those far away is fairly irrelevant proportionally.

Unless you are the one that’s 40k down and then your lol why the f am I worth 40k less than that guy? I’ll make up the difference somehow!

Plus the whole pay them more and they won’t be as corrupt/will be better at the job thing has bee disproved. Never underestimate the human capacity for greed or venality

hooja
    Free Member

Just received my Lib Dem candidate flyer through the post.
    I live in a con/LibDem area, so have no real choice but LibDem, however….grrrr
    What the hell has happened to politics?
    The entire letter is basically slagging off the conservatives, trawling up such nonsense as, “who would have imagined that the conservatives in Westminster would kick out winston Churchill’s own grandson, just because he had the audacity to disagree with leadership” wtf has that got to do with what you are offering my county and my country?
    The letter just spouts similar playground twaddle until somewhere around the end, there are three lame, non committal bullet points about underfunded schools and plastic!
    It’s embarrassing and shameful, I want to read about who the mp is, how passionate he is about his community and what the party is fighting for… it’s going to hurt ticking that idiots box

tjagain

On pying MPs – I disagree completely. they should not be highly paid at all. The should receive the national average wage ( or a small multiple there off ie 2x)an they should be only able to claim receipted expenses and those should be very limited. That way we get people in there who want to do good, not those who see it as a route to riches.

I think that would vastly improve the quality of MPs because you get people with a public service ethos not those with their snouts in the trough

ALL outside remuneration should be banned.

tjagain

Mefty – are you sure they are no longer allowed to claim for buying a house on expenses?

Or don’t pay MPs at all.

Then they wouldn’t be in it for the money and its no longer a career option. We might get a better bunch then.

kerley
    Free Member

While no job is guaranteed, an MP in anything but a safe seat has to think carefully and plan for when then are no longer an MP, i.e. possibly in a few weeks time. Going from £80K per year to nothing in a day means you have to be ready for it (via other interests).
    To me the safe seat MPs can abuse things the most. My constituency has a horrible person as MP and the constituency next to mine has an even worse one yet they have been there for decades. They simply can’t fail.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Or don’t pay MPs at all.

Then they wouldn’t be in it for the money and its no longer a career option. We might get a better bunch then

Daft idea, you’d only have really wealthy people running the country as was the case before 1911 when MPs first received a salary.

If we paid them the average salary like TJ suggested, we’d just end up with a lower quality of chancer – really, we as a society need to value corruption more than we do or the lack of it in our politicians. Some of the polls posted earlier suggest that people trust Boris less than Corbyn, but they’d still rather Boris ran the country – that is the underlying issue.

Maybe an official, audited – corrupt shit index like a cross between a credit record and China’s social record system – but for politicians only? Radical openness and a complete lack of privacy for politicians in return for a high salary.

kiksy
    Free Member

On pying MPs – I disagree completely. they should not be highly paid at all.

I’m with this. Saying that paying them more would mean they deceive less seems naive.

I’d like to see monthly, publicly available online expenses receipts as well.

In addition to this other income should be declared and made easily available to the public.

kiksy
    Free Member

Or don’t pay MPs at all.

Then they wouldn’t be in it for the money and its no longer a career option. We might get a better bunch then.

Paying them nothing would mean only the previously rich would be able to become an MP no?

tjagain

Again – look to Holyrood – ALL expenses are published online, ALL expenses must have a receipt.

NOt paying MPs would mean only the rich could become one

Paying them much less and stopping second jobs would mean only people with a public service ethos would want to become one – the chancers would go elsewhere

Kerley – they get huge payoffs of many times the average salary when they lose their seats.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Paying them much less and stopping second jobs would mean only people with a public service ethos would want to become one – the chancers would go elsewhere

You get chancers and corrupt individuals at every pay grade. Why do you think so many police forces around the world have issues with corruption, average to poor pay clearly doesn’t help them recruit only those with a strong sense of civic duty.

nickc

The should receive the national average wage ( or a small multiple there off ie 2x)

Average wages is about £29k and MP earns £76, 011, which 2.6 the average wage…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Looks like a disastrous manifesto:

Labour’s ‘self-destructive’ manifesto will drive billions away from UK, business groups warn

https://www.ifs.org.uk/election/2019/article/labour-manifesto-an-initial-reaction-from-ifs-researchers

I fear few people will actually read it. 🙁

I’ve always thought that MPs should be paid more. It’s madness when the VC of a provincial university can easily be paid three times the salary of the PM.

+1

If you hired a succesion of rubbish plumbers at a certain rate you’d soon conclude that you need to pay a bit more to get a decent one. MPs are no different.

£79,468 for a London based job??? You’d struggle to hire a decent Software Engineer or Project Manager for that. (Somewhere there will be a self employed plumber or two making that.)

If we want talented people in politics we need to pay MPs way, way more, stop poking into their private lives and make political discourse a bit friendlier.

Just going through the manifesto – guess what – only one reference about looking into integrating independent schools. All that needless discussion on abolition from day one.

Abolition is still Labour policy. Manifestos are just a set of non-binding promises. They can do things that aren’t in their manifesto and fail to do things that are.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,961 through 3,000 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.